cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheBud
Asteroid

Ice maker is frosted over

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The ice maker on our new Samsung 4-Door Flex refrigerator (model # RF28K9380) has already frosted over and will not make ice.  How do you defrost the ice maker?  Is it normal to have frosted over so fast?  It has only been a month.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheBud
Asteroid

Re: Ice maker is frosted over

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had contacted Samsung support, which were of no help whatsoever.  They suggested resetting the ice maker.  I tried it and it did not work, which is why I had turned to this forum.

I did not want to defrost the entire fridge/freezer.  At first, I tried putting narrow containers of boiling water in the ice maker, but it did not work.  So, I pulled out the hairdryer.  It worked great.  Be ready with some towels though.  It melts fast.

To do this, pull out the bottom drawer before starting and put a large towel on the (inside) bottom of the fridge.  Put a small towel in the bottom of the ice maker.  Then begin with the hairdryer.  It doesn't take long, but be sure to melt the ice behind the ice maker (inside).  Once you start melting the ice, you can feel it in the back of the unit.  It gets pretty hot in the ice maker pretty fast.

Once defrosted and dry, reset the ice maker and re-insert the tray.  Samsung has a great diagram on how to reset the ice maker.  I cannot find the link, but it has very helpful pictures on how to reset it.  Maybe the Samsung Moderator could post the link in a reply.

That did the trick - until next time.  We are making ice again.  I just now opened up the ice maker - and I am happy to report that I don't see any frost building up - and a full tray of ice.  Hopefully, the problem is solved.  Good luck.

58 REPLIES 58
Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I would be happy to look into this for you. Please send us a private message to http://bit.ly/2CGMMUe with your phone number as well as the model number and the serial number of the unit.

userTFpAYywz3r
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Where are the instructions to reset the ice maker?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What's the model of your fridge?  That way we can get you the proper instructions.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userprt8cnLU0u
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a RF23J9011SR.  Can you please post instuctions on how to reset the ice maker?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

userprt8cnLU0u -  You can find steps for this in this article for your model: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001012/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userFIe8XA816K
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What if you can’t get draw out because ice build up is so bad

userqveSjxeaQB
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine is doing the same thing.  2 months old.  Chatted on-line to Samsung last night.  3 different links.  Still do not know why it  is happening after only 2 months.  Sounds like a fault of the design.

I have to defrost and reset; I will try this when I have some time this week-end.  If it happens again, calling for a tech out for warranty

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please keep us posted if you need us to set that up.    

TheBud
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had contacted Samsung support, which were of no help whatsoever.  They suggested resetting the ice maker.  I tried it and it did not work, which is why I had turned to this forum.

I did not want to defrost the entire fridge/freezer.  At first, I tried putting narrow containers of boiling water in the ice maker, but it did not work.  So, I pulled out the hairdryer.  It worked great.  Be ready with some towels though.  It melts fast.

To do this, pull out the bottom drawer before starting and put a large towel on the (inside) bottom of the fridge.  Put a small towel in the bottom of the ice maker.  Then begin with the hairdryer.  It doesn't take long, but be sure to melt the ice behind the ice maker (inside).  Once you start melting the ice, you can feel it in the back of the unit.  It gets pretty hot in the ice maker pretty fast.

Once defrosted and dry, reset the ice maker and re-insert the tray.  Samsung has a great diagram on how to reset the ice maker.  I cannot find the link, but it has very helpful pictures on how to reset it.  Maybe the Samsung Moderator could post the link in a reply.

That did the trick - until next time.  We are making ice again.  I just now opened up the ice maker - and I am happy to report that I don't see any frost building up - and a full tray of ice.  Hopefully, the problem is solved.  Good luck.