cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TList
Constellation

Ice maker not making enough ice

JUMP TO SOLUTION

RF28HFED - We are so disappointed w/ the ice maker in our new fridge...it has always been terribly slow (we call it the "ice nazi"..."one ice cube for you.....what, you want more?...please hold....OK, one more ice cube has been authorized for you...").

That you could live with, but there is another issue that make this thing even more dysfunctional. It appears the seal for the ice cube making unit is not very robust. Yes, the unit is firmly clipped in place, etc. But, warm(er) air still gets in it from the fridge, and does a partial meltdown on ice in the chute, so you a nice appetizing plop of water prior to receiving ice. This also sort of melts and re-freezes the cubes in the storage area, so they get kind of clumpy and lumpy and don't dispense well. And then, over time, the whole thing stops working because enough melted ice re-freezes to kind of lock up operations towards the back of the unit.

So, after spending $2k on the fridge, we have that going for us for the next 15 years. Which is nice.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Disfunctional Ice Maker

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ello everyone,

Thank you everyone for the information you have posted here. If you have already tried all the steps provided in this link,  Here and you're still having this issue. It seems you will need to have this device serviced. I see a few of you have already had a service center come out but a few of them were sent by the retailer. In most cases, we here at Samsung will not be able to review these service visits and the service center that a retailer provides may not be a Samsung Authorized service center.

If you do not already have service set up for this device  and you would like to set this service up, you can do it here. Service request  

As for everyone that is already having this ice maker serviced by a tech we provided, could you please provide the transaction number to this repair. Please send this by a private message. This way, we can reach out to you directly and review your case. 

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

182 REPLIES 182
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please provide the full model code and serial number as it appears on the label inside the fridge? Also, what trouble shooting have your completed for your ice maker? Thank You ^Heath 

Jmehp
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is happening to me too. My model number is RF28HFEDBWW and my serial number is <Hidden>. 

TBeck65
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i would love to see what Samsung does for you, i have a very slow ice maker myself and after spending the most for a new unit and have it come out of the box and not work makes me wonder if i should have looked at another brand

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello All! Here is a link to assist with the No/Low ice issue: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001012/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Jmehp
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This does not address the fact that the ice is melting and then refreezing around the mechanisims like the first poster said.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How often are you using the dispenser? Ice can clump together when the dispenser has not been used for extended periods of time. This happens when the automatic defrost system is running. The small amount of heat from the defrost system slightly melts ice cubes that are in the bucket. Once the defrost cycle finishes, the slightly melted ice freezes together, resulting in clumps.

Highlighted
Jmehp
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's not freezing in the bucket. The actual ice maker is freezing. 

Choice1
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I will be contacting Samsung directly about this same issue. After 5 service calls,  2 auger motor replacments, 2 ice maker replacements, 1 chute replacement, resealing of ice maker housing, re-alignment of hose coming in from the back of the fridge, the unit was not making ice at all, then it made it very slowly, it was constantly wet and soft with water driping out from the ice maker compartment onto the front of the fridge, and probably something else that I am missing: Samsung has taken  no repsonsibility for the problem, the repair company that they suggested "Service Quick" does not stand behind their work

It is time to go directly to the President of Samsung. After spending $2800 on this unit about a year and a half ago, many repair issues, time lost at work waiting for repair people to show up, time without the unit even making ice, probably resulting in a total cost of around $5,000 for this Refrigerator Freezer,  it's time that this unit is replaced or fixed once and for all. The squeaky wheel will get the grease.

Model # RF23HCEDBBC/AA

Dan

Deb1
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm glad to know I'm not allow with this problem.  The refrigerator is great but the ice maker "sucks". After only 18 months, the ice is soft when it is dispensed,  water comes out first before the ice, the back of the maker is one complete block of ice that creates loud noises from the motor unit,  etc., etc., etc. I had the repair service out who had to take a hairdryer to defrost the ice mass in the back of the unit in order to get it out, caulk around the unit to prevent warm air from getting to it, extend the fill hose in the maker, that was improperly installed at the factory, and then be told that to really prevent that problem from happening again you need to replace the fan motor unit to the tune of $300 plus trip charge.  Removing the ice bucket requires the strength  of Hercules to get it out.  For a $2500.00 appliance you would think you would get a better product.  I have a 18 year old GE side by side that has never had a repair call and is still running in my garage.  I would not recommentd this appliance to anyone.   

Deb

Model #RF23HCEDBBC/AA

Serial #<Hidden>