cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Icemaker on Frenchdoor Refrigerator

This appears to be an ongiong issue for Samsung refrigerators.  My ice machine gets significant ice buildup eventually stopping it from make ice altogether until I defrost it.  From what I have read there is no "recall" but there is a "class action" suit that is progressing.  I would like to have samsung contact me related to my options.  Oh BTW, I also purchased the exploding washing machine.  Lucky me.

Vic

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Icemaker on Frenchdoor Refrigerator

Hey @userTKUp3hbexh 

I do apologize for the inconvenience of what is happening with your appliances and hopefully we find a solution for you. I am going to add one of the moderators to help you with your situation. @SamsungLou @SamsungModerator 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

If you're having trouble with your ice maker not working, whether it's freezing over or not making ice at all take a look at the steps provided below it might help.

Can you verify that the ICE off light is not turned on? When ice only drops from the ice maker if the test switch/button on the ice maker is pressed, verify that the Ice Off icon is not illuminated on the display panel. When the Ice Off icon is illuminated, the ice maker is turned off. However, when pressing the test button, the ice maker will continue to harvest any ice that is in its ice tray.

Samsung recommends that you change your water filter every 6 months. If your water filter has not been changed in the last 6 months feel free to purchase one on Samsung.com or samsungparts.com

Replace the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060149/

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

• Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
  • If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Reset the ice maker.

• There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) You can typically find an illustration of the location of the test button in your user manual. Once you find this button:
    • Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).
    • The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.
    • At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.

Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, visit our Support Center to request service.

Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

• You should see some ice production much sooner, however, it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).
  • Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. --> http://bit.ly/33ipYnO

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

The issue is not that the ice make is not making ice, it gets such a massive buildup of ice that the ice that is made cannot be ejected into the ice tray.

I have thawed the icemaker on numerous occasions and done the reset as well as powering down the refrigerator.  It does not change the persistent ice buildup as it has not changed it with enough other customers to warrant a class action lawsuit.

This is the second appliance I have bought from Samsung that has significant manufacturing failures.  The reality is I should not have to do anything to make my refrigerator function as purchased except change the water filter which we do quarterly even though just a family of 2.

Highlighted
Constellation

I am having the same issue with my ice maker. I am tired of it can someone please reach out to me from Samsung with a resolution?