I have the Samsung slide in electric range flex duo. I did have a fire because of this. I had accidentally turned on the knobs before but always caught the situation before anything happened. I thought it was just me also. Unfortunately back on March 28, 2018 I missed turning on one of the knobs, got in the shower, I had somewhere to be, I got out because I could hear the fire alarm going off. Upon opening my bedroom door to a smoke filled house. I walked to the kitchen to see flames shooting up to the ceiling!... thankfully I was able to put it out. However it did cause damage to my kitchen. We were out of our home for 3 months do to clean up and still do not have a functioning kitchen currently! Our insurance picked up most of the cost, we are still out money over this situation. I can’t believe Samsung is going to wait for someone to be badly injured over this! I would be interested in joining a class action lawsuit as well. I am also going to put in a complaint where ever I can!
The sad thing is, I only came across this thread because I was looking for replacements for my stove. We are nearing the end of this situation and need to replace our stove and microwave. I was googling stoves, wouldn’t have known about this otherwise. I did call customer service and they took my info but basically said there is nothing that can be done. I did this before seeing this thread. The customer service rep made it seem like I was the first person to call and report this issue. Obviously not!
I don't understand why some posts get request for more info from Samsung moderators and some do not (like mine). We all have the same issue and want resolution.
I will never buy another Samsung product.
Samsung, what resolutions are you offering in the private messages? Why not recall this dangerous product so that those of us with this fire hazard in our homes can replace it with something safe?
Add me to the list of "Bad Knob Design" requesting recall before Fire!
Customer reference number: 2206764725