I can't find a "private message" button when I clicked your profile, just badges and other threads you're involved in.
Model # NE58K9500SG
Serial number # unknown: I'm at work, I can check when I get home.
Purchased on 11/26/2016. Ordered/special delivered.
Store Number: 2955
1200 North Muldoon
Anchorage AK 99504
Phone Number: (907) 269-2400
I’ve been having the same issue for 2 years!! The knobs on the front of this range are so dangerous. Countless number of times they have somehow tuned on, but just walking by or something bumping them. We have had several fires...pizza box caught on fire, melted by pressure cooker, melted Tupperware and just the other day a kitchen towel!! This is unacceptable!! I have a 5 year old and 7 year old and this is scary. I’m to the point now that I keep my breaker off too.
This is my second stove same make same model which has caused a serious electrical fire in the oven. This one almost caused me to get to get burnt because when I opened the oven it caught on fire. I was lucky Enough to pull my hands back and shut the oven quickly. I had to go downstairs and shut the breaker off. My house was filled with smoke. I was thankful enough that this didn’t happen when one of my kids opened the oven themselves. I’m very surprised that there is not a recall on the stove. If anyone has experience this please send a response. I am in the process of filing a complaint with consumer protection. The model of this electronic range is NE597R0ABSR
@ userQ396zGlMNB I am sorry to hear this. I do hope that there was no injury to anyone. I would be happy to investigate this. Can you please drop a Private Message Here with the serial number of the unit as well as the following:
Best contact phone number
Alternative phone number (If available)
Place of purchase
I have the Samsung slide in electric range flex duo. I did have a fire because of this. I had accidentally turned on the knobs before but always caught the situation before anything happened. I thought it was just me also. Unfortunately back on March 28, 2018 I missed turning on one of the knobs, got in the shower, I had somewhere to be, I got out because I could hear the fire alarm going off. Upon opening my bedroom door to a smoke filled house. I walked to the kitchen to see flames shooting up to the ceiling!... thankfully I was able to put it out. However it did cause damage to my kitchen. We were out of our home for 3 months do to clean up and still do not have a functioning kitchen currently! Our insurance picked up most of the cost, we are still out money over this situation. I can’t believe Samsung is going to wait for someone to be badly injured over this! I would be interested in joining a class action lawsuit as well. I am also going to put in a complaint where ever I can!