cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Oven Fire

A few weeks ago my daughter heated up the convection part of the oven and after about 5 minutes we heard a loud popping/buzzing noise, came running into the other room, and there were sparks and flames in the oven, opened the door and smoke came pouring out. Inside, I saw later,there were pieces of metal on the bottom and the back of the oven is completely scorched. I have used the convection part only a handful of times since we purchased the oven 4 1/2 years ago. I called Samsung and at first they said they would send someone out  to fix it and only charge for parts, but it would be a week. They also told me that if they couldn't find anyone in our area that they would replace or refund us. The day before the repair person was set to come, they called and said tht they were no longer servicing Samsung and we would have to start the process over. I called Samsung back and they said that they weren't going to do anything to help. Have a nice day. I feel that safety hazards like this should be addressed. Since then I have researched and found that this is not by any means an uncommon problem with Samsung ovens. Thank God I was in the house at the time! I work out in the yard often; what would have happened if I had turned it  on and then went outside fo work? Scary.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Oven Fire

Hi @usernY289Y9YON 

Sounds a bit odd. What was the actual reason why they refused to help? Is it still under warranty? I've never had anyone tell me "sorry, can't help" without a good reason. If the unit is still under warranty, they should take care of it, and if not, then maybe the service request was to be paid for by you?

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Constellation

Yes, I thought it was odd as well. As I believe I mentioned, the oven is 4 1/2 years old and apparently the warranty on a stove is only One Year?! Which, I guess, says something in itself. As I was assured when I called, our conversations were recorded, so I imagine it should be easy enough to verify that the conversations took place as I have explained.  This issue seems to be happening to other customers, regardless of the age of their oven so perhaps it should be addressed.  Because of the nature of the issue, it being a fire hazard, I feel like it should have warranted a phone call at the least.  

Highlighted
Constellation

As far as the service request goes, the Samsung agent told me that there were NO service companies in my area that serviced Samsung appliances, other than the one they contacted, who did call me right before they were to come out, to say that they no longer service Samsung.

Samsung Care Ambassador

@usernY289Y9YON 

I see. Well, a one year warranty is an industry standard. I just checked few other brands, like GE,  Whirlpool, LG, Frigidaire, Kitchen Aid... Samsung, and all of them offer a 1 year limited warranty.

Since your unit is few years old, it sounds like the Samsung customer care were trying to find you a repair option from their partners, but they wouldn't be covering any charges since it's out of warranty. The promise to replace a unit could be made without first getting all the facts, for example if someone called and asked what kind of warranty Samsung offered, an agent might explain the terms, like they will send someone to fix or replace it they have to, but once they get a chance to look into the warranty status, they will have to clarify that since it's outside their warranty window, they can try to find a repair option, but it will be at customer's expense. Since there are no one in your area (that contracts with Samsung), there is not much else that Samsung can offer. I think that's reasonable. There are times when a product can be returned, fixed or replaced under warranty, fixed or replaced under an extended protection plan if there is one, repaired at owner's expense, or replaced via a purchase of a new one... It depends on the age of the product and the severity of the issue, as well as maybe a price, to determine if it's worth getting it fixed or may be easier to just buy a new one.

P.S. Unfortunately no one here can listen to recorded phone calls, as this is a peer to peer forum, And Ambassadors are not Samsung employees. 

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1