JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Over the Range Microwave turns on by itself (MC17F808KDT)

(Topic created on: 3/15/17 12:50 PM)
userFj6gI06nsq
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The fan and lights for this microwave (model MC17F808KDT) turn on by themselves. The keypad keys do not always work either. Occasionally, the microwave will beep and the message TURNTABLE OFF or TURNTABLE ON appears where the clock is.

I have done some research and this appears to be a VERY common problem. 

If someone else has has this issue, did Samsung correct this issue or did you to get someone else to do it. Is there there just something that can be disabled on the unit to stop this. I can live without the fan and light if I have to.

Very disappointed with Samsung and this unit.

103 Replies
Solution
SamsungNik
Honored Contributor
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

If your microwave turns on by itself after you close the door you may need to clean the door, check the latch, or ensure that the door is closed all the way.

But if your cooktop lamp will not turn off, then it may just be wet from recent cooking.

Thoroughly clean the door.

1. Open the door.
  2. Use a damp cloth to wipe down the door and microwave.
  3. Clean the door latch and the latch mechanism on the microwave.

Place a cup of water in the unit and close the door, is it heating?

Power cycle the unit either by unplugging it (if you are able to) or turning it off at the breaker for about 60 seconds.

If you have completed the troubleshooting steps about and the unit is still turning on by itself service is required. You can shoot me the model code and serial number here for repair set-up: http://bit.ly/2igAXKH

(Edit in order to show more details for new posters)

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

user8af6rKwKUt
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have the same model MC17F808KDT for few years, and it had the exactly same issue since we installed it. Turns on the light and fan by itself, and sometimes beeps and shous "Turntable on/off".

Went to Samsung website and could not find any info about this issue, though. 

0 Likes
user8af6rKwKUt
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Update: After posting my issue above 2 weeks ago, I got contacted by Samsung the very next day. However, the communication basically ended with the call from repair company that wanted to schedule a repare on my expense. No miracle happen. This model is not going to get a recalled. Will go buy another brand.

user4rMozjONEg
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

That is unfortunate as the unit is defective and SHOULD  be recalled or at lease fixed at Samsung's expense.

user9fd2xZr2dP
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I've had my microwave for just over a year and it's basically a paperweight.  Was turning itself on.  First just the fan, then it was actually heating,  had to unplug it as it's too dangerous.  Contacted Samsung and they provided me with repair company info.  Of course, at my expense. Clearly, samsung is aware of the problem.  I definitely think bbb contact (or more) is in order.  So frustrating.  I should also note that the samsung dishwasher we purchased at the same time died a couple months after purchase and dealing with Samsung was a nightmare then too.  Never again will I purchase a Samsung appliance!

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Oh no! Could you send us a private message with your full model and serial number? http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Please get that to us as soon as you can.  

0 Likes
Samsung_6Bd1EHx
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I'm having the exact same issue. Paid full retail at Best buy of almost 500 and too scared to use or leave plugged in... I sure hope I don't have to get Samsung responsible for a house fire. All my appliances are Samsung, all TV's, stereos, washer dryer, phones ... You name it.  I now own well over $10000 worth of samsung products and well over $50000 in my lifetime so far. I'm sure Samsung can repair or replace on their dime... Thanks all bought at bestbuy

P.S. I have a video and several witnesses of the microwave not only turning on but heating on its own And I have come home with it running like that. 

0 Likes
user16ed91CLEV
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
I am having this same issue. What was the solution!
0 Likes