cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userBL6h5kEU3o
Constellation

Over the range microwave oven inputs 7 by itself and prompts to hit OK or Start... nobody touched.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

While sitting 10 feet from the microwave, we occasionally hear a beep and look over to see that the microwave automatically hit the 7 button and is asking for us to select OK or Start...  Sometimes, it hits it twice and will cook for 77 seconds if we hit start.  But, we didn't do anything!  This happens from a normal resting position where we only see the time of day, and happens at random times... Do we have a bad computer? We just recently purchased this unit maybe two months ago.  

Model: ME21K7010DG

Serial: <Hidden>

Thanks!

Gerry

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Over the range microwave oven inputs 7 by itself and prompts to hit OK or Start... nobody tou...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the issue is still happening after you flip the breaker/cut the power, service repairs are recommended. Please send us a private message for more details: http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

337 REPLIES 337
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Over the range microwave oven inputs 7 by itself and prompts to hit OK or Start... nobody tou...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That would certainly indicate something wrong with the control panel. We'd recommend having a service technician take a look at it. I am showing the unit in warranty until 12/31/2017, mind shooting me a message here so we can look into service options for you? http://bit.ly/2igAXKH

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userBkGgu9e2RF
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there.  I am having the same issue as the people in this thread.  My Samsung microwave ME21K7010DS will program itself for 7 or 77 seconds randomly.  

The serial number is <HIDDEN>.

Actually, I just got off the phone with Samsung tech support and the woman told me that this condition was normal.  It does not seem normal.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the issue is still happening after you flip the breaker/cut the power, service repairs are recommended. Please send us a private message for more details: http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Walter Flores
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem with the ME21K7010DG, I reported the problem under warranty and a samsung technician came in order to verify, they checked my unit and replaced the microwave's door for a new one. After that we didn't have a problem for some weeks and now again (but out of warranty), the 7 button still pressing by itself, sometimes twice or more, and sometimes we hear the fan. We are really concerned about any safety risk and apparently there is no recalls for this product.

userYEs2MqLy35
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, what is the solution for the input 7 by itself... It's keeps coming back! Samsung already replaced the door a while ago, problem is back.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For this, we recommend having a service tech take a look at the unit. Please send us a private message to http://bit.ly/2CGMMUe with the full model number and the serial number of the unit.

userSUFIFusR4S
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have been having this issue for months. Contacted Samsung was rltildvto unplug unit and it should reset. After about two weeks it started again. Now it's happening more frequently after spending thousands on the set this a frustrating. Especially after reading the posts here. Samsung should be addressing this issue for all owners.

userkPFYdw7QhZ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

New to this thread, but not new to this issue. Figured I'd post my experience so far.

I bought one of these microwaves toward the end of 2016 from Lowe's, and didn't install it until our house was finished being built, which was in March of 2017. The unit immediately began exhibiting this issue, auto-pressing the 7 key at random times and at random intervals.

We tried the obvious fixes, turning off the power at the breaker, cleaning the keypad, to no avail. Since it was just the 7 key, we didn't worry about any fire hazard. After a few weeks, I decided to have the unit serviced. A local shop replaced the door under warranty. The issue seemed to be gone for a couple weeks, then it returned.

Months later, the 3 key started pressing itself. I again tried turning off the power for a while, and the issue seemed to go away. This was at the start of the colder months in 2017. At this point I was nearing the end of my warranty, so I purchased an extended warranty for another year, in case the issue returned.

After the winter, when things started warming up again this spring, the issue came back with a vengeance. The 7 key was pressing itself many times during the day, perhaps around 2 or 3 times per hour. I then looked online to see if others had made any progress with fixing the issue. I didn't want to have the door replaced again just to have the issue persist. That's when I found this thread, and saw that the issue was truly a fire hazard, with more than just the 7 or 3 keys getting activated.

So I set up a warranty service call again, and when I talked to the local service shop to set up the appointment, I mentioned this thread (and others like it) and asked them to be sure that the new door that they would bring to my house had the new grounding kit installed. The woman I spoke to said that she understood and she would check to be sure. I got a call the next day saying that there was a new door with a grounding wire, but they were back ordered.

So I kept the power to the microwave turned off at the breaker while I waited for the door to come in. I only had to wait a few days. The door was installed yesterday, and I visually confirmed that it has the ground wire, before the tech installed it.

So far so good, no beeps.

I'm very happy with the service from the local shop (The Electronics Hospital) but I'm fully dissatisfied with Samsung. When I set up the service call, I was on a live chat on the website, and the person I was chatting to was very dismissive when I mentioned that this was a well-known issue, as evidenced by this thread and others. I don't remember the exact words she used, but the chat rep said that forum posts should be disregarded, not trusted, etc. I believe that's true in many cases, but not this one. We all have the same exact symptoms with the same model of microwave, and it is clearly a fire hazard. There should have been a recall, period.

The fact that we all have to go through the hassle of setting up a service call (multiple service calls for some of us) to fix an issue that they are aware of, is inexcusable. I wonder how many people have this issue and haven't bothered to get it fixed. They just disabled the beep (which doesn't prevent the unit from turning itself on) or they turn off the power at the breaker (which they can forget to do) or they engage the child lock (which they can forget to do) and thus are still at risk of the unit turning itself on when they're not home. Again, there should have been a recall the moment this issue was brought to their attention

userbZzcfoUJ5Q
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have experienced the same thing as others have expressed in these 23 pages of posts!  I purchased the Samsung PowerGrill microwave (ME21K7010DG) in Sept 2016.  Shortly after the 1 year warranty expired,  the microwave started turning itself on randomly, the fan and light also come on randomly.  It has woken me up in the middle of the night several times.  It is a bit alarming to wake up to find your appliances running themselves.   I did not know that it was a fire hazard or I would have called for repair or replacement immediately.  I have been turning on the child lock when I'm not using it and that seems to stall the issue, obviously it doesn't fix it. 

I finally called the Samsung service contact number from their website.  They referred me to a local electronics repair place.  I asked the Samsung agent if the problem might be inherent in the design, or from the manufacturers end, since I have done nothing unusual and it is not an old appliance.  I mentioned that I had seen this comment thread and that it seems to be an issue with product itself, not a typical repair.  They said that, in their experience, they did not think it was common at all.  They personally only got one or two calls on this a year.  It might be interesting to know what the statistics are over all Samsung calls.  A LOT more based on this 23 page comment thread -- especially given that only a small fraction of the actual callers would bother to write anything here.

The Samsung service contact should also warn callers about the service fees that they are likely to be hit with when the electronics repair transaction is processed.  I called the local repair place directly and had to really pull the costs out of them too.  There is a $99 visit fee - payable whether you decide to have the appliance fixed or not.  That is deductible from the total if you do decide to go ahead with the repair.  Then, if repaired, there is a $250 minimum labor fee plus parts.  It seems likely that the labor fee will not be minimum and the cost of the repair may approach replacement costs for a new unit.  The repair is ony covered for 90 days so if, as many posts here indicated, the problem starts again after the repair, the price paid is lost and the decision to repair again or replace starts over. 

If, as these posts suggest, the problem recurrs after repair - this seems like further evidence that there is a fundamental flaw in the design or parts of the appliance.  This is not a customer use or wear/age issue.  Samsung should replace the microwave at no cost, recall them if there is a fire hazard, and stop selling this product.