cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usermyWm6nyabU
Astronaut

Re: Powerbot floor plan

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Amazing, I'm having the same issues as Will above with the mapping, and the app.

Support has been terrible.  I had an old Neato I was replacing, I guess I am also going to return this expensive thing and get the latest Neato as well.  Bummed because I agree the actual vacuum is pretty great, just the features that made this so expensive just don't work. 

usermFMKDJ9L6w
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to let you know what I ended up doing.

I returned the expensive version and got the 10x powerbot for $500.  We really did not need the mapping in the end.  We just set it to go off everyday at 11:30 and it works great.  It eventually finishes the job.

You just need to get it in your mind to let it go.  It will find its way to get the floor and all its rooms cleaned.  The vacum power I think is the best in the industry by a long shot.

Have been using it now for 6 months and we love it!  

FYI I was so impressed with this project, I thought maybe this can work for my yard.  Researched that and found robomow.  Check them out at http://www.robomow.com  It worked amazingly well.  We know longer have to vacum our house or mow our lawn.  

usercabeskEVwX
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here are definitive tips for making a floorplan (I have a large open concept home, with lots of furniture):

1.  Block all gaps at bottom of furniture if they can "catch" the bot.  

2.  Pick up all small rugs (entry rugs, sink rugs, etc.)

3.  Put dock in central area with some clear footage around it laterally and forward.  

4.  This may very well fail 2-3 times and the stupid software will reset and not save its previous work.  But allow it to work and recharge and work and it will finally create an accurate floorplan.

5.  Individual rooms will not be saved, it will produce one huge room layout (But maybe illogically subdivide a closet or hallway coincidentally)

6.  I tried using blockades to create multiple "rooms" as individual floorplans, and had success in creating multiple floor plans (one floorplan per "room"); HOWEVER, the bot would not vacuum in the set "rooms" when the blockades were removed.  

7.  However I do like using the floorplan select and go feature as it shows visually that the whole floorplan (my whole first floor) was cleaned.  

good luck to all.  I will say the vacuum is immensely powerful and efficient at removing dust and dog hairs tho.  

user0DQWe5TVfY
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had similar problems, but, due to being asked to, among other things, send the unit (9350) back for service we are now are past our return date.  Of course, nothing was found because it is the ridiculous software that is the problem. I cannot figure out why I need to connect to a remote server in order to control the vac, but that connection fails routinely. I originally set it up on my Iphone6 but it stopped working after a couple of runs. I spent hours with ‘phone support and they could not get it sorted. I set up an old ‘phone with an old version of the app (same network) and that worked for a couple of weeks but today could not connect to the unnecessary server. Giant pita

there are also software issues with the vac itself. Its latest thing is that it pushes against a flexible wire barrier in our stairs  and thinks it has string caught in the wheel. This has happened repeatedly in addition to driving under the wire and getting caught. It can’t see the wire (or seemingly a number of other obstacles) and just keeps pushing against them until it gets caught or just gives up even though it could simply back up. Really poor algorithm. 

All this is too bad because the thing is a really evvective vacuum in terms of power and sweeping ability

Highlighted
userZ4CDyWqefn
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, I just received mine and had no problem setting it up and creating a floorplan. But due to the layout of my home, it put about 60% of my home into one room (I have a large greatroom that opens into the kitchen area and a hallway).

Not getting much info from the manual, I called tech support and wasted about 30 minutes. I wanted to delete the created floorplan and find out how to subdivide my large area. They told me you cannot delete floorplans and you are at the mercy of the Vac to create floorplans.

Here's what I did to resolve the creation of the floorplans I desired. I took some scrap lumber and created "barriers" in the large connecting rooms. After creating the first floorplan, I created a "path" with the lumber from the charging station to the next area to map. I did this for each floorplan I desired.

Now I've got six good floorplans and two floorplans I'd like to delete (My wife is not very tech savy so simpler is better).

Here's what I've found out so far about floorplans. I installed the Smart Home app on two tablets and a smart phone. Created floorplans from one device do show up on other devices. They must be stored in the vacuum. 

Samsung, if you're listening, please update the app to include a floorplan delete.

userZ4CDyWqefn
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

New info, my plan didn't work. The vacuum relies on the barriers (2x4's) which are no longer there to find the desired room. It was a total failure. Losing respect for this thing.

user3hLgNRZElo
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Oh wow! I’m just trying to set up my floor planSSSSS. Your comments are encouraging ! I’m going to my garage tomorrow and “Set Up” my own floor plans with lumber. Do you have flat or cathedral ceilings? I have cathedral ceilings and am concerned about “Sandi” (my Samsung Sand Sucker) getting confused by them. Could you explain further what you meant by creatung the “path”? 

Frustrated but now Encouraged,

POWERbot Newbie

PS..... Dear Samsung: PLEASE be taking notes and writing modification specs, completing development and thorough testing Including floor plan delete!

PSS.... Documentation is incomplete, erroneous and sub-par and sheds a Horrible light on a really good product

PSSS.... Customer service ranks right up there with your documentation 

userZ4CDyWqefn
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

One thing I noticed that might help with your connection problem:

Most modern WiFi gateways are dual band (2mhz and 5mhz I believe). The Samsung (and most other robotic vacuums) only work on the 2mhz band. 

I had some lost connection issues until I forced my smart phone or tablet to only operate on the 2 mhz band when I wanted to vacuum. 

user49XzCPFssF
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As of 1-5-2019, there is still no update to the software to delete floor plans.  After 3 years of frustrated customers, Samsung just doesn't care enough about us to

actually fix the issue.  I love the vacuum, I don't love the disregard for there

customers in regards to this

ongoing issue.

user49N43jgDrL
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased the highest end model Powerbot.  I also have two Roombas. Roomba definitely has it when it comes to mapping.  My new Roomba will even empty the bin automatically. I have tried to map with the Powerbot so many times and have never been successful.  The vacuum capability is excellent, but software is atrocious.  Extremely frustrating.  Buy the Roomba instead...