cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useroUtH3HzxWN
Asteroid

RF23J9011 Ice Maker makes Ice once or twice a day

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Our 10 month old Samsung French Door Refigerator Ice maner has suddenly has slowed to make Ice to only once or twice a day.  I have reset the ice maker using the test/reset button.  I press the button and get a ding/dong chime.  I then release the button and reinsert the ice bucket and close the refigerator door.  I hear a clicking sound from the ice maker which continues for a few minutes, then I get a ding dong chime.   I wait 24 hours and it has produced maybe a dozen cubes which are full size, normal cubes.  After 24 hours I tried to reset again with the same clicking and another dozen cubes.  It used to make a set of cubes every hour and half.   What else might I do to regain correct function of this ice maker.  I have verified the water dispenser is within specificed discharge amount, which indicates the water filter is okay.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
useroUtH3HzxWN
Asteroid

Re: RF23J9011 Ice Maker makes Ice once or twice a day

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was able to find the diagnostic procedure.   I verified the door switch was operating correctly by use of a magnet. I then put the refigerator in diagnostic mode and verified there were not error codes.  I then put the refigerator in test mode FF, which forces the refigerator compressor and all the cooling fans to run.  I was able to determing that the ice maker circulating fan was inoperative.  This fan is located on top of the Auger module DA97-12540K.  The ice maker module has to be carefully removed after putting the refrigerator in test mode Fd,  which is Forced defrost.  Then removing the auger module and replacing it with a new one, reinstalling the ice maker, normal ice production has resumed.

10 REPLIES 10
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What's the freezer temp set on?  Has the filter been changed recently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

useroUtH3HzxWN
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

The filter has been removed as I have a whole house prefilter and then softener than a post filter for all house water.  The freezer is set on 0°F.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you still harvesting the ice frequently as well? Here is an article related to No/low ice production: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=669261&modelname=RF2...

If the steps are not helpful, then service repairs are recommended.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

useroUtH3HzxWN
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We get enough ice overnight to fill a 10oz glass of water with cubes.  I have now let it run for two days straigt and we have half a bin of ice.  It is clearly not making 1 tray every 1½ hours as is standard from what I read.  Water discharge from the water dispenser (remember I removed the filter) is robust, so water flow is not the issure as I see it.

Four days ago I did a reset.  Imediately afterwards while putting the ice bucket back into the ice maker after the reset ding dong, I heard a series of clicks like a broken tooth on a gear.  What could that be the causes the click?  Does it indicate something broken.  My guess is it is the fan in the Auger module hitting something like an ice buildup.  Any ideas?  Thanks for the response and link you provided.   Samsung has offered to refund my money for this refrigerator if I disable the refrigerator.  The Refigerator works just fine...only the Ice Maker is the problem.  I hate to trash a 10 month old refrigerator for just a broken ice maker when they cannot find a repairman in my area.

Highlighted
useroUtH3HzxWN
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I read the instructions in the link and I am at the point after the reset where norman ice production is still not happening.   So this indicates service is required.   If the ice maker module and the auger module are replaced and the fill tube location is verified and adjusted if in too far, will this likely resolve the problem?   If not what other diagnostics can I perform  Could it be the sensor for a full bucket of ice?  Where is that located?  is it in the ice maker assembly?  or is it a seperate part/module?  Thank you for your help!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sadly I am not a certified technician so I can only offer basic troubleshooting. I wouldn't be able to help with an exact diagnosis. Mind shooting me a message with the serial number and I can help look into service repair options: 

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

useroUtH3HzxWN
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The serial number is [Hidden].  Thanks!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

useroUtH3HzxWN, you can send us a private message here: http://bit.ly/2mcMgp1

useroUtH3HzxWN
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Private message on Serial Numbr has been sent.  Thanks!