cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AstronautJoe
Asteroid

RF25HMEDBSR/AA stopped cooling, lost $400 in food. less than 3yrs old.

My Mother is in her 70s so I am helping her through this nightmare.

She lost $400+ worth of food. Woke up one morning and her fridge and freezer were both warm.

Everything went bad.

The Fridge is a 2.5 year old RF25HMEDBSR/AA <edit>) we purchased at Sears.

We called Sears. They basically said "Yeah it's out of warranty, call a local tech."

We called Samsung and Samsung said "Yep, it's out of warranty, call a local tech."
We asked for a referral, and it was "Summit Appliance" in traverse city.
They never got back to us.

Called Sears again, Samsung again, still no help. No other service centers in our area. One support person asked if I could drive the refrigerator to Ohio. <edit> There's a service center there I guess?

So we called "Mr. Appliance" in Traverse City. He came out and saw the error code "84 C" on the screen. Said the compressor is bad. Dispatched "Summit Appliance" to make the repair.

Charged us $174 to read the error code and refer us.

Summit Appliance called us soon (no visit) and said "So, yeah, we sold all the gear we use to replace compressors, so we can't repair it, sorry."  They also said that the compressor is on a 5yr warranty though. <edit>

I call back Mr. Appliance, and they said Summit is the only repair person on their list. <edit>

I suggested they remove it and asked for a refund. No Joy.

Called back Samsung and OH GOSH NOW they see there's a 5yr warranty on parts. They schedule service with (you guessed it) Summit Appliance. I mention Yeah, we already got word from them that there's nothing they can do, in fact the guy (Eric) never returned any of my messages, and sounded like he was grieving a loss or something when he called my mom to decline the work, so who knows, maybe the company is closing or some thing i dont' know. Samsung can't even find another service company.  Samsung Support person Diane logged order number  415 100 8639 for me and promised a call back. Nothing. I'm not banking on it.

Called back sears to complain they sold me a product they can't support by a company who can't support it and they said OH WAIT NOW WE SEE THERE IS A 10 YEAR WARRANTY ON PARTS. <edit> - Apparently nobody can agree on warranty status or how long. So I asked for service. They can get me in on September 17th. That's great. So we'll just keep milk and butter and some eggs in a cooler and buy ice every day for three quarters of a month. But then she tells me there's an $89.99 fee for them to visit. Parts will be covered under warranty but labor not, and average labor is $350-$450.

So at the end of this, we're staring down between $550 and $600 to get a 2.5 year refrigerator's compressor replaced.

There's a reason Samsung Refrigerators averate 2.2 out of 5 stars. This is why.

There's a reason people stopped buying appliances at Sears. This is why.

I'm pretty close to just setting the fridge on fire, rolling it down our hilled driveway, and making a youtube video of it. Maybe the monetization of the video will help ease the cost of another $2000.00 if I go to Home Depot and get a Frigidaire, as we should have done a couple of years ago.

Insult to Injury: this fridge replaced a Frigidaire that my parents got when they married, 47 years ago. It still worked. It was just outdated. The sears manager tried to tell me that I would have spent a ton mor
e on the electric charges running it instead of the samsung for 2.5 years. But she shut up pretty quick when I said "yeah, but the 47 year old Frigidaire didn't die and destroy $400 worth of food. Our neighbors h
ave it and still use it."

Forget Sears.
Forget Samsung.

Go Big Box. Get a Warranty.

16 REPLIES 16
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: RF25HMEDBSR/AA stopped cooling, lost $400 in food. less than 3yrs old.

@AstronautJoe I have responded to you in private messages. Will you please follow up with me there?

AstronautJoe
Asteroid

Yep. Thanks

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you! I look forward to hearing back from you.

AstronautJoe
Asteroid

Hi there,

I just got an email that Samsung has applied a one-time credit to cover labor costs of the repair of the refrigerator.

This is very generous, so thank you!

Question: since Samsung hasn't called me back on the open service request and Sears is scheduled to repair it on the 17th, how do I proceed? 
Do I cancel with them, and are you sending someone, or should I forward the invoice?

Thanks in advance.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Is Sears doing the repair under the warranty for the compressor?

AstronautJoe
Asteroid

Thats what they say. At this point we've had Samsung say the compressor is 5yr warranty and sears say it is a 10yr warranty.

So im not sure which is accurate, but we're not near 5 yrs yet anyway so no problem. just lack of consistent data.

Sears' person is supposed to arrive on Sep 17 to perform the warranty work, noting that we'd be charged dispatch and labor fees.

That's all they told me except for the ticket number when I asked for one.

AstronautJoe
Asteroid

Still waiting on a call from Samsung explaining what to do.

Do I continue with Sears repar or are you sending someone??

Helloooooo???? 

This is what I mean. terrible service follow-up

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

The ticket is still open as the Dispatch team attempts to locate a service center in your area.

AstronautJoe
Asteroid

with all due respect, if it takes you more than a week to figure out WHO is going to fix it, 

why not let Sears do it on Sep 17 and we'll send you their invoice for labor.