JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

RF261BEAESR/AA is not making ice

(Topic created on: 1/3/21 8:36 AM)
usernXLkFK3ibb
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Our refrigerator has the ice maker in the freezer. Water will not dispense into the icemaker, but the refrigerator interior door water line dispenses with good flow.  The refrigerator is set to factory default temperatures, power freeze is not on, and the icemaker is not set to off. The water filter is Samsung brand and less than a month old. The ice issue started a week before the water filter change. The prior filter, also Samsung brand, was 8 months old. During the day, I can hear the ice tray moving to dump cubes as if they were there.

Pushing the icemaker's reset button initiates the turning of the ice cube tray and the chime at the end, but water does not fill the tray. Aside from the water filter change, I have tried the following, waiting at least two days before resets and after tests:

1.  Resetting the control panel and leaving everything at factory default.

2. Moving the unit away from the wall and vaccuming the vent (was not clogged, but cleaning is always good). Checked the water line tubes and connection to source to verify no kinks or obvious issues. Unplugged the unit, waited 3 minutes and replugged. Left temperature at factory defaults.

3. Checked the ice maker for damage, looseness, or signs of cracks or leaks.

4. Checked the interior of both the freezer and refrigerator for signs of something broken.

5. Thinking the ice maker water line was frozen, followed directions from another site to try to de-ice the line from behind the filter in the refrigerator by removing the crisper drawers and carefully heating with a hair dryer for about 20 minutes.  This process seemed to yield about a teaspoon of water into the ice maker tray. I started to try the hairdryer pointed at the water line tubes with the refrigerator pulled out, but was beginning to wonder if doing so could create yet another issue if something got too hot.

Notes that may or may not be relevant: There is now a very light frost layer in the freezer. I assume this is from keeping the drawer open during checks and trials, but don't know for sure. I did not have any water buildup--like other models did--underneath the refrigerator drawers, but did have ice cubes under the freezer drawer and removed those. Prior to the icemaker not making ice, I did notice the ice in the bin was very clumpy, which was unusual. I removed all ice, washed the bin, and put it back in the opposite direction based on another poster with the issue of ice under the drawer.

Before I unplug the refrigerator for a few hours, is there anything else I can try? It would be difficult to keep my refrigerated medicines within needed tempteratures if I need to move them to coolers. I was thinking that the hair dryer at least produced some results and maybe I could try that again, or some nice responder could give me guidance here.

5 Replies
Solution
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I'm sorry to hear that, have you tried teh following? 

Top Freezer models have an Ice On icon. If you want to make ice, you should leave this icon lit. Family Hub models control this function in the Fridge Manager app. And finally, models with dual ice makers will have an Ice Off icon for each ice maker, but only one button to control them both. Continue to tap the button repeatedly until neither icon is lit.

The RS27T and RS22T models have two water lines to connect. If they are cross-connected, the water and ice dispensing functions will not work correctly. If you have one of these models and the dispenser has not worked since installation, check these lines.

1. Check to see if there is ice in your ice bucket.

If there is ice in your ice bucket, but it won't dispense, see our other guide for troubleshooting steps.

For instructions on how to remove your ice bucket, see your user manual.

2. Verify the ice maker is turned on.

Most models have an Ice Off icon, which will light up when the ice maker is off. For ice production, change it so it's not lit. If you are not sure how to do this, see your user manual.

Refrigerator Ice Off Icons

3. Check the dispenser's water pressure.

Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.

If your model does not have a dispenser, you will need to use the water line instead. Turn off the water supply, disconnect the water line, prepare a bucket and towels to help with collecting the water, and then turn the water supply back on and dispense water directly out of the water line to test its pressure.

• If no water dispenses at all, verify that the water line is connected. See more troubleshooting in our guide.
    • If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.
      • If that fixes your water pressure issue, then you need to replace the filter. Use only Samsung brand filters.
      • Otherwise, your low water pressure will need to be increased. Since water pressure is not controlled by the refrigerator, it will need to be adjusted at the source. (Using a Reverse Osmosis system to filter water may cause the water pressure to be too low. For more help with your home's water pressure, contact a plumber.)
  4. Reset the ice maker.

There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) Once you find this button:

1. Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).
    2. The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.
    3. At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.

Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, this will require service. 

5. Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

You should see some ice production much sooner, however it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).

Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.

If the troubleshooting steps did not help above then you have a couple of options based on your warranty. 

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.
- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service set up. 
- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message me or one of our moderators with your full model and serial number to have service setup
- If you're OUT of warranty, you can use this link below to find a service center in your area. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
usernXLkFK3ibb
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I think the response above was intended for another user as it addressed not my refrigerator model but others and had tests/steps I have already tried and noted in my original statement. 

If anyone has suggestions for my actual model, I'd really like to solve this issue.

0 Likes
SamsungJustin
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hello, This is public form so the accepted solution provided was intended for anyone that may be experiencing a similar issue such as yourself, as stated in the accepted solution, if these steps didn't help you service would be required. I would encourage you to refer to the accepted solution on this thread to see the options for service. Thank you! 

0 Likes
usernXLkFK3ibb
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

With more searching the forum for solutions to my icemaker issues, it seems that this forum is an avalanche of people having similar issues with no real solutions--it seems to be a place to commiserate, which is validating, but I need to find a fix. If anyone knows of a reliable appliance forum, please let me know. 

Another part broke today, the button for the internal water dispenser. I know how to repair/replace it, but don't even want to spend the time until the icemaker is working again.

The broken icemaker is a big deal for me and if anyone has any input for good non-Samsung models to buy, I'd appreciate it. I definitely want a French door style and like big crisper drawers for vegetables, but otherwise am wide open.

0 Likes
usernXLkFK3ibb
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This was marked as a solution by Samsung, but it is not the solution. I have tried all of these steps--except for the parts that only apply to models that are not mine--and the steps did not fix the problem.

The icemaker still does not work. 

The issue is still ongoing.

I don't understand why a Samsung employee(?) is marking this incorrectly. 

0 Likes