cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

RF266 ice maker does not make ice, no 'official' solutions help

Our ice maker in our RF266 just stopped working a few days ago. Our water filter was changed reasonably recently; we use the inside water dispenser every day; we use ice every day; the fridge is level; we have not turned off the ice-making function; we have not shut off the water; the water supply runs directly from our fridge through a hole in the floor to the basement water supply, with no children or animals in the home to have interfered with it; and, finally, we have tried resetting the ice maker twice (we get the correct noise of movement of parts, but no ice has been produced after a 24-hour wait; and, it chimed once the first time, no chime the second time). So none of those officially-suggested fixes have helped. We really don't want to have someone come in and repair it for several reasons — cost, the current plague — and are wondering if there are any other suggested fixes we can try before having to remove all the food and replace the ice maker ourselves. I see that Samsung no longer even sells the correct part if I wanted to replace it (DA97-05037D), but I can still pick it up at Amazon. The refrigerator is not that old (we bought it 10 years ago); why would Samsung discontinue that fairly crucial part? Isn't that about the appliance age that people would *start* to need parts like that for their unit?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: RF266 ice maker does not make ice, no 'official' solutions help

I am sorry to hear about this. Please send the full model and serial numbers to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks, done!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi there! I thought you might be interested to know that our RF266 spontaneously started making ice again two days ago. We were eventually going to try the solution of removing everything and defrosting the fridge, but we just hadn't gotten around to it, and the other night, I heard a strange sound...the sound of ice coming down into the bucket! And it's been working steadily ever since. It's the most bizarre thing, we have no explanation (and we're both programmers and think through these things pretty exhaustively)! I'm not holding my breath that this will be permanent, but for now at least, we don't have to seek out the part from a third-party vendor. I wanted to post it here to let anyone else with a similar problem know that they might be lucky, too, if they leave theirs alone for a few weeks. :-)