cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaleJrFan88
Asteroid

Re: RF28HFEDBSR/AA Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Add another VERY unhappy customer to the list.  Purchased this refrigerator in October of 2014 from Lowe's.  Did not buy an extended warranty because we have a home warranty.  Why spend the extra money right?  Anyway, in November of 2016 (just outside the factory warranty of course) I made my first claim to my home warranty company.  They came out and said they needed to add some sealant to keep the warmer air from getting inside the ice maker.  They left, it wouldn't make any ice.  They came back two weeks later and made some additional repairs.  Not sure what they were but basically replaced everything except the whole ice maker trying to get it to work.  Finally two weeks after that in January of 2017 they replaced the whole ice maker.  Put a brand new one in.  This was Sears coming out to make the repair, which is who my home warranty company used at the time. 

We rocked along for several months and it was working real well.  I'm thinking we are out of the woods.  They've got it fixed.  WRONG!!  Maybe six months or so goes by and slowly we begin starting back with issues.  First when you get ice through the door a gush of water pours out first before you get any ice.  The ice is always being crushed up even when nobody ever uses crushed ice.  You couldn't get a whole ice cube out of there if you tried.  It looked like an old freezer that needed to be defrosted when you took out the ice bin.  Already being outside the time I could call back and get the repair worked on without paying another deductible, I just started defrosting it myself every couple of months.  Plus, I also have a second ice maker down below in the freezer so we got lazy and just started digging ice out of that one, which worked well until the holidays when I have a dozen people or more at my house and only once ice maker that's working.  FRUSTRATING!!

So finally in March of 2018 I make another claim with the home warranty.  Repairman comes out and I explain to him everything that's already been done to this point with this ice maker.  He replaces the whole ice maker again!  It works well for a couple of months and by May of 2018 it's completely frozen up and will not produce any ice.  I have attached pictures of it this time before I defrosted it.  I have called my home warranty company back again and apparently if you call them within six months they come back out without paying a new deductible.  That's good to know because now I will call them every two months until hopefully maybe they will just replace the whole refrigerator.  

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY ANYTHING FROM SAMSUNG!!  I called them when this first started happening and was told you're out of warranty and we have no service technicians in your area so basically go fish.  I have added my name to the class action lawsuit, but after reading others on here nothing much is happening with it.  It is ridiculous to think that a company knows they have all these issues and won't do what is right and fix it for people.  It's not like these are $700, $800 refrigerators.  I paid $1,900!!!  And, yes, the refrigerator still works and the water still comes through the door, but by God I also want my ice to come through the door.  It's what I paid for and for that kind of money it should work more than 13 months!!!!!

NOTE:  Tried to insert pictures and was not allowed to do so.

userc2Z9EmkYhq
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Add me to the list of unhappy Samsung customers that will never buy again, and will also tell all my friends. This thread says SOLVED but after reading over 50 pages, Samsung's Resolution says to set up a service call. After reading all the people who called and waisted their money for a service call and some people had up to 2 NEW ice makers put in.  I decided to take another route, Samsung you have to RECALL these ice makers. Or we as customers will force you to. 

Samsung Forum Admin, I have a model number RF26J7500SR. Purchased on 3-27-2017. Had the issue of the faulty ice maker freezing up 4 months ago. 1 month out of warranty so I searched the Web for advice. I have totally defrosted YOUR Refrigerator twice already and moved ALL my food to my neighbors refrigerator, what a pain in the butt. I did the ice maker Reset, did the Sealing of all the CRACKS that you see light from my flashlight from inside the fridge to the ice box. It's all sealed up and I still have water coming out of the ice despencer and slushy Ice, then It freezes up.

Make this right Samsung for all of us. It's to bad because you make Other stuff that's really good. I have been buying for years and reviewing on my YouTube Channel with ALOT  of Followers. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

userc2Z9EmkYhq, please send us a private message with the full model code and serial number: Link

useriP1KCuvaLM
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Once again, why are you asking for a private link when there are dozens of consumers asking for a solution? Make this right for all of us please. My model number is RF28JBEDBSR/AA. I bought this unit less than a year ago.
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@useriP1KCuvaLM, mind shooting us a message with your serial number so we can look into servicing options?

userP5dwpmRXs5
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung RF28HFEDBSR  Refrigerator that i bought in 2015 and the ice maker is doing the exact same thing that’s mentioned in the 57 pages. Doesn’t look like a solid solution has been presented.

Highlighted
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userP5dwpmRXs5

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your ice maker.  Can you please provide me with your complete model code and serial number to the link provided below.

userDGmnzzx0sz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We purchased our refrigerator, model RF3OHBEDBSR in July 2015 for $3,500, almost as soon as the warranty ran out the ice maker quit working. I replaced the ice maker at my expense. This is a horrible refrigerator, I will NEVER buy another Samsung kitchen product unless this problem is resolved. We own all Samsung tvs and they are great, the refrigerator, not so much.

We have had service people out at least 6 times and every month, sometimes 2 times per month, we are having to take the ice tray out and use a bottle filled with hot water and defrost where all of the ice/frost has built up. This is very time consuming and frustrating to do with an appliance we paid almost $4,000 for with tax.

Every time we call we are told to have another service tech come out.

The last person we spoke to suggested we are not defrosting it enough and try using a hair dryer and to remember to push the blue reset button for around 5 to 10 seconds or when you hear the beep to reset the ice making process. We have done all of this and should not have to keep defrosting a frostless fridge.

Now I am reading in your forums that apparently the water tube providing water to the ice make freezes causing the ice maker to freeze up due to a design flaw. The solution they have been given is every couple of months they need to empty the refrigerator and freezer out, turn power off to the refrigerator for 24 hours and let the line thaw out.

If this is the long term solution Samsung should educate the people selling the product to let customers know what they will need to do after purchasing this type of refrigerator.

Does Samsung have a recall notice on this Refrigerator model because of the failing icemaker?  It would seem to me that too many people are having the same problem, and Samsung is refusing to address the issue.  Does Samsung have any other suggestions as how to solve this problem short of replacing the icemaker at personal experience?  

JUMP TO SOLUTION

MODEL  RF28HFEDTSR.....

Same problem as the rest of 57 pages of posts.  I guess I got one of the good ones as I've only had to go full defrost after about 3.5 years.  Still, sloppy wet ice, painfully slow dispensing & drippy ice cute for some time now has been a real pleasure.  I even went to just using the ice from the bottom but alas that stopped working too a few weeks ago.  I'm just glad my local market carries dry ice so I can keep the hundreds of dollars of food I have from going bad.  Still Ice and dry ice set me back 22 dollars today and I had to find and wash every cooler I have and still fire up a small "drinks" fridge on top of all that.  Thank you Samsung.  Your attention to this matter has not gone unnoticed by thousands of people I'm sure.  We will all be sure to spread the good word about this product.  Don't bother to trouble yourselves any more.

usermx4qBil1dG
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are having the same issue and have gone to great expense to purchase a backup refrigerator and freezer so we don’t lose our food every time a defrost is needed! Samsung, I would say this issue is far from resolved and you have known about it for at least three years based on the backlog of comments. I only wish we knew before we bought this model!