cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

RF28JBEDBSG/AA - Ice Maker constantly blocked, jammed and frosting up

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Many many posts stating the same problem with the same ice maker, posting pics that look just like my freezer. Purchased from Lowe's in 09/2016 as part of a full suite of kitchen appliances. Started frosting up and blocking within a year. 

Model #: RF28JBEDBSG/AA

Serial #: <hidden>

Incredibly frustrating to see so many people reporting the same problems, no mention of recalls... only of class action law suits. I would prefer to just have my ice maker working properly again. Please contact me ASAP.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: RF28JBEDBSG/AA - Ice Maker constantly blocked, jammed and frosting up

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you're having trouble with your ice maker not working, whether it's freezing over or not making ice at all take a look at the steps provided below it might help.   

Can you verify that the ICE off light is not turned on? When ice only drops from the ice maker if the test switch/button on the ice maker is pressed, verify that the Ice Off icon is not illuminated on the display panel. When the Ice Off icon is illuminated, the ice maker is turned off. However, when pressing the test button, the ice maker will continue to harvest any ice that is in its ice tray.

Samsung recommends that you change your water filter every 6 months. If your water filter has not been changed in the last 6 months feel free to purchase one on Samsung.com or samsungparts.com

Replace the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060149/

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Reset the ice maker.

There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) You can typically find an illustration of the location of the test button in your user manual. Once you find this button:

Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).

The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.

At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.

Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, visit our Support Center to request service.

Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

You should see some ice production much sooner, however, it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).

Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.

If the above troubleshooting steps did not help, you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine just stopped dispensing ice

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I feel your pain.  I bought a ~$3000 Samsung refrigerator, and the ice maker has been hot friggin' garbage since day 1.  It's disgraceful. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I came here to post about mine, and right at the top is your post - EXACT same model number as mine!

Bought a full set of kitchen appliances (fridge, stove, microwave, and dishwasher) from Lowe's 3 years ago when we had our house built.  Everything worked great until a few months ago, and that's when we started having problems with the ice maker.  First found it when ice stopped coming out.  Opened it up to see what was going on and found a bunch of frost and backed up/stuck together ice cubes partially out of the ice maker.  I looked around online and found information about doing a force defrost, which cleared things up - but then it happened again.  And again.  And again.  I found that if I do 3 or 4 force defrosts in a row, one immediately after the other, it works for a longer period before it frosts up again.

I'm tired of doing all these force defrosts that are only temporary fixes.  I want it fixed permanently!  UGH!

There's got to be a fix for this.  I like these appliances other than the ice maker in this fridge.  I probably should have went with the other one I was considering - LG.  I've had LG before, and never had any problems at all.  This was my first go with Samsung appliances.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine does the same - I bought it in 2018 and have had nothing but problems. Sounds like they knew this was an issue but kept selling any way. Have you had any luck getting it fixed or replaced?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you're having trouble with your ice maker not working, whether it's freezing over or not making ice at all take a look at the steps provided below it might help.   

Can you verify that the ICE off light is not turned on? When ice only drops from the ice maker if the test switch/button on the ice maker is pressed, verify that the Ice Off icon is not illuminated on the display panel. When the Ice Off icon is illuminated, the ice maker is turned off. However, when pressing the test button, the ice maker will continue to harvest any ice that is in its ice tray.

Samsung recommends that you change your water filter every 6 months. If your water filter has not been changed in the last 6 months feel free to purchase one on Samsung.com or samsungparts.com

Replace the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060149/

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Reset the ice maker.

There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) You can typically find an illustration of the location of the test button in your user manual. Once you find this button:

Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).

The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.

At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.

Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, visit our Support Center to request service.

Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

You should see some ice production much sooner, however, it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).

Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.

If the above troubleshooting steps did not help, you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

RF28JBEDBSG/AA  ice maker constantly blocked, jammed and frosting up

There has to be a solution to this issue as I see I'm not alone with the same problem.

We don't pay a ton of money to end up with scrap metal. I would like a resolution, not a scripted operator.