Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

RFG297 Ice Maker stopped working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Greetings,

I have a Samsung rfg297ABBP refrigerator. The ice maker stopped producting ice soon after changing the water filter. Water dispenser works fine. It doesn't appear to be freezing up (no frozen ice deposits). I was going to purchase a new ice maker unit but I removed the ice making unit, let everything thaw. Then reinstalled and ran the test button; unit chimes, the motor cycles through and water flows into the unit. But the next day still no ice. I ran the test button again and unit chimed but now it sounds "stuck" as if it's unable to push the now frozen ice out. It does not reach the cycle to call for water. 

Does this sound like replacing the ice maker would solve the issue, or something else?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: RFG297 Ice Maker stopped working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to follow up here, I ended up buying a new ice maker unit and that has solved the problem. I'm assuming on the old unit the element that is meant to heat up the ice enough to be shoveled out must have stopped working or perhaps the temperature sensor. I had also opened up the unit to ensure the gears were not stripped.

Either way, $120 was cheaper than a service tech. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You stated that the ice maker stopped working soon after you changed the water filter. Honestly, it sounds like it could be the filter. Where was the filter purchased? Was it a Samsung brand?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi thanks for the response. This is a samsung filter as recommended. It's the second from a 4-pack I bought. I would think if the filter was at fault then the water dispenser would not be working?

Some addition information I found today when I again removed the ice maker. Only 7 of the 9 ice cube slots were full and not the two nearest the ice maker motor which appears to have a temperature sensor on it. Could that be the issue? The ice is frozen in the first 7 but I'm assuming whatever is supposed to trigger the heating element to kick in so that the ice cubes can be pushed out isn't ever kicking in. 

Can you confirm the temperature sensor is located in the cube tray nearest the motor? And if that doesn't fill then the heating element never starts? Not sure if maybe the heating element or sensor is malfunctioned or I'm just not getting enough water into the tray. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There are some cases where you are able to dispense water while the ice maker is not working due to the filter. Thank you for confirming that it is a Samsung brand. I would like to check for 2 more things. 

Make sure that the ICE OFF light is not turned on.

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

• Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
    • If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.
      • If that fixes your water pressure issue, then you need to replace the filter. 
      • Otherwise, your low water pressure will need to be increased.

Once you confirmed that the water pressure is good, the next step would be to proceed with service. At this time I wouldn't be able to confirm if your sensor is by the motor being that every model is different and I'm not there with the unit. You are more than welcome to purchase a service manual for your model to find the sensor by calling our parts distributor, J & J Parts, at 800-627-4368 or samsungparts.com

Since we have completed all of the remaining troubleshooting steps the next step would be service.

You can use the link below to locate a service center in your location to do the repair. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I get 8oz of water in 10 seconds from the water dispenser. Do you know how much water is expected when issuing the "test" function? I could put a measuring cup in the freezer with the ice maker out but plugged in. 

the ice maker model is 

DA97-07365A

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to follow up here, I ended up buying a new ice maker unit and that has solved the problem. I'm assuming on the old unit the element that is meant to heat up the ice enough to be shoveled out must have stopped working or perhaps the temperature sensor. I had also opened up the unit to ensure the gears were not stripped.

Either way, $120 was cheaper than a service tech. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Why is Samsung lying to everyone saying there is no issue with the ice makers? There are hundreds of complaints on line and you know it.  I called Samsung asking if there was a recall and he told me we are not aware of any issues with the ice makers if there was the engineering team would have done so, total lie. My entire house is a Samsung chef collection appliances including Fridge, Microwave, dishwasher, oven, washer, dryer, 3 HD TVs, 4 tablets, three S-10 phones, monitors, buds and tons of accessories and now they are making junk and wont stand behind it. Why lie to loyal customers when you know there is a problem?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

***TRY THIS FIX, IT WORKED FOR ME!***  I  had the same problem with the ice maker freezering up and no ice.  Inherent issue with all the different Samsung models with icemakers in the fridge.  Then I found this video on line after hours of viewing other temporary fixes such as, code resets, blow dryers and ice picking!  Ice would dispense for about a week before the problem would resurface. The problem is when you initially set up the fridge, it is either left alone on the wheels or leveled with the adjustable casters.  This setup causes the icemaker to to overflow when filling with water, dripping over the right side, freezes and stops dispensing when the buildup of ice blocks the sensor mounted near the front.  The solution is that the fridge needs to be tilted back about 1/4" by raising the front casters to keep water from overflowing.  Make sure you start fresh with a defrosted icemaker using the force defrost. It's been over a month now with fresh ice and just a light frost on the underside and right side of the dispenser. It should be noted that the creator of the video stated that this worked for a few months for him before problems resurfaced.  I'm hopeful this solves my problems.

20200922_114531.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8SZrGZq_60