cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userIULha98FkO
Asteroid

Ratcheting sound from filling ice dispenser but water pressure ok (RS25H5111)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

RS25H5111 Refrigerator, Side-by-Side, Ice maker in door.

We hear a ratcheting type of sound every now and then and we think it is from the ice dispenser getting filled with water.  It is very loud. But the water pressure from the water dispenser seems quite strong. Any ideas what is going on? It started immediately, but life events have gotten in the way and it has been about 1.5 months. Frankly, we're getting used to it and it wasn't until a visitor heard it that we were reminded that the fridge shouldn't make that loud a noise.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thortok
Galaxy

Re: Ratcheting sound from filling ice dispenser but water pressure ok (RS25H5111)

JUMP TO SOLUTION
In the link that I posted above, look for the sentence about "if it's coming from the back of the unit, click here" and click that link too. I'm wondering if high water pressure is causing this issue.
7 REPLIES 7
Thortok
Galaxy

Re: Ratcheting sound from filling ice dispenser but water pressure ok (RS25H5111)

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you've determined you need service you're welcome to message me here: http://bit.ly/2igAXKH and we can go over the details. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Thortok
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION
In the link that I posted above, look for the sentence about "if it's coming from the back of the unit, click here" and click that link too. I'm wondering if high water pressure is causing this issue.
userIULha98FkO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for finding that, Thortok2000, as I completely missed it. I ran the water dispenser for 10 seconds and got 1.5 cups, so I probably do have too high a pressure. (I also have noticed that when the washing machine fills it moves the plastic tubing behind the fridge, which is probably another clue.)

Now I'll see if I can figure out how to reduce the pressure. The valve in the basement to the fridge was changed to an on/off valve so I don't think I can do it from there.

Thanks again.

userIULha98FkO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I took my time slowly turning the fridge water supply towards off until the sound happened less frequently. I'd turn the handle (cut-off switch handle), give it a few days, turn the handle again, give it a few days, etc. Finally, this last time - which is just where the fridge's water dispenser will work - it eventually stopped making such a loud sound. The contrast is remarkable. 

Thank you for your help.

userIULha98FkO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I forgot to mention that the one downside is that the dripping from the water dispenser now happens after every use (as opposed to before when it was every now and then).

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Make sure to run the water to clear any air out of the waterline.  That will cause the dripping from the water dispenser. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.