cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: RF28HFEDBSR/AA Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I too have this model fridge and am having the same problem.  Samsung support just said this to me via chat...

"In this case scheduling a service should help us, as this could be an issue with an internal part.
let me know the zip code, so that I can share you the details of the Samsung authorised service centres located near you to get the Refrigerator serviced."
18:46 PM

Customer: I see there is a service bulletin about the specific model refrigerator having this very problem. Therefore I assume this repair will be of no charge as it is a manufacturing defect correct?
18:51 PM

"The service bulletin is for authorised service technician of Samsung to guide them in resolving the issue quickly and efficiently, it doesn't indicate that there is a reported issue with the refrigerator."
18:53 PM

Customer: so youre not replacing these malfunctioning icemakers free of charge? 
This is a well known and documented problem with this specific model
18:54 PM

"Samsung makes sure all the products are tested and in good quality when they are shipped out.

I do understand your concern with the product.
There are no reported issues for the Refrigerator and unfortunately as the Refrigerator is out of warranty the service will be paid service."
18:54 PM
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yep. I just got off a chat with a so-called "supervisor" who said exactly the same thing. They must have a printed script for this known problem that they simply do not want to deal with. Went round and round only to be told the same thing over and over again.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung RF31FMESBSR and the ice maker stopped working.  I was told that it would cost over $700 to repair.  These are known design issues with multiple serviec bulletins and have already been redeigned multiple times.  Fridge is less than 5 years old and this would be over $1000 that I would have had to put into it (already repaired another known design issue with condenser fan less than 6 months ago). 

Called Samsung customer support and all they would do is tell me that it is  out of warranty and they will do nothing.  Several Customer Service people, including a supervisor, told me that as a consumer this would not be acceptable to them either, but nothing they could do but repeat the company policy that it was out of warranty.  Complete disgrace!  For less than $700 they could have had a Samsung customer for life.  Now, after this, I will never buy another Samsung appliance.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

same issue here !! happens every week !

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

on the phone with these scheisters as we speak. "your one year warranty is over. we will send a technician out at YOUR cost". right. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had contacted Samsung support, which were of no help whatsoever.  They suggested resetting the ice maker.  I tried it and it did not work, which is why I had turned to this forum.

I did not want to defrost the entire fridge/freezer.  At first, I tried putting narrow containers of boiling water in the ice maker, but it did not work.  So, I pulled out the hairdryer.  It worked great.  Be ready with some towels though.  It melts fast.

To do this, pull out the bottom left drawer before starting and put a large towel on the (inside) bottom of the fridge.  Put a small towel in the bottom of the ice maker.  Then begin with the hairdryer.  It doesn't take long, but be sure to melt the ice behind the ice maker (inside).  Once you start melting the ice, you can feel it in the back of the unit.  It gets pretty hot in the ice maker pretty fast.

Once defrosted and dry, reset the ice maker and re-insert the tray.  Samsung has a great diagram on how to reset the ice maker.  I cannot find the link, but it has very helpful pictures on how to reset it.  Maybe the Samsung Moderator could post the link in a reply.

That did the trick - until next time.  We are making ice again.  I just now opened up the ice maker - and I am happy to report that I don't see any frost building up - and a full tray of ice. 

Repeat every 3 months.  Crazy!

Good luck.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Found this:

Important: Do not reset your ice maker more than one time in a 24-hour period.  This can result in the ice tray over filling.  If the ice tray over fills, water will pour directly into the ice bucket and freeze.  If the ice bucket is frozen you will not be able to dispense ice.  A frozen ice bucket can also lead to the ice maker itself freezing over.  This will cause the ice maker to stop working and service will be required.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I posted earlier but this is the only real solution for this inferior design unless you want to buy a new refig and throw this one away.  Once the ice maker stops producing ice, I remove the tray, take a screw driver and spend about 5 minutes chipping all the ice off.  You need a flashlight to make sure you get all the ice fromt he back area.  It then works fine for a ferw weeks except for dripping water which I keep a towel by the refig just to soke up the water before it overflows.  I can house train my dog but not my refig lol.  Better than removing all your food and defrosting for a day.  I guess Samsung expects you to have a backup refig.  It is just wonderful using an expensive mid 20th century refig in the 21st century...

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

rf28k9070sg/aa ice maker

Same problem as everyone else. Please add me to the class action list.  This is trully unbelievable!

Thanks!

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So great to contribute to Page 47 of "dear Samsung thank you for robbing me" post.  I can only hope that my post bumps this post to Page 48.  Then I will feel like I have accomplished something.  Well that is enough complaining, need to go defrost my icemaker in my fridge.  It has become a weekly chore.  Absolutely can't believe I spent 2800 on this complete and total piece of junk.  

Samsung...I am 42 years old and this will probably not be the last fridge I buy...you will never get my business again.

We all make mistakes, it happens.  but No accountability, the worst kind of company.  I hate my Samsung RF28HFEDBSR.  So does my whole family.  Luckily we kept the clunker Whirlpool and all go to the garage to get ice and water.