JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Refrigerator Ice Maker Issues (All Models)

(Topic created on: 7/2/18 6:30 PM)
joeydonuts
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This happens occasionally, I usually pull out the ice bucket and re-insurt and it starts producing.

This time it won't start, it's been two days.

I can't find the reset button.

model RF263BEAESR

Thanks

1,831 Replies
userhp5b6OePTE
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My solution.  

Once a month I pull the ice maker assembly and the auger motor out.  

This is the key.   You have to pull the auger motor out to see all the ice build up. 

The augar fan blows up towards the refrigerant box.   You will see that the ice build up blocks the small opening as well right above the augar fan.    My augar fan actually started making a funny sound because the ice build up was hitting the fan blade.     

My next attempt will be to possible redirect the water flow into the ice maker while filling.  I have a hunch the water while filling the ice maker tray sprays towards the augar fan openings.     This creates the ice blockage so the augar fan is not able to circulate the cold air properly. 

So far I have done the above every 3 weeks twice and the ice maker works great if you stay on top of it.   

I will try and redirect the fill tube or add a higher lip on the ice maker assembly back wall. 

0 Likes
userDb3UHCXOpj
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Great idea- I think I'll go this route! This issue is ridiculous!
0 Likes
userDb3UHCXOpj
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This sounds all too familiar! Ours does the same thing but doesn't even have to have a full bin of ice. So I'm not sure turning the ice maker off at night would make a difference. It's too expensive to have such a ridiculous ongoing problem. 

0 Likes
userPvUaT2c3jG
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The condition you describe is exactly what our ice maker is now doing. Will definitely try the off/on solution. Will share results. 

0 Likes
userYBdG7P9cog
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I never got an answer to my question so I'll try it again. Will replacing the ice maker fix the problem or will it continue to keep having the same problem even with a replacement ice maker? My post is about 3 or 4 above this one.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Likes
DaleJrFan88
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I can tell you that my ice maker has been replaced twice with the last time being March of 2018. Just had to call home warranty and make another claim. If it’s within 6 months, which it is, it’s at no charge to me thank goodness. Same technician just came out last Thursday and said he will order all new parts again. He said they came from Samsung so they are still under warranty so they will have to replace them. At least maybe that’s costing them something to have to keep replacing parts. They were all the new ones the service bulletin recommended and it wasn’t even 60 days before it started freezing up again. So replacing does not fix the problem. The technician told me he works on several of these Samsung French door refrigerator ice makers weekly. It’s a very well known issue to the people that have to service these stupid things. 

0 Likes
useryi76X6DNaN
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Since they have not fixed the problem, replacing defective parts with defective parts will not work.  They are just hoping it will work long enough for your warranty to expire.  Hey people, Samsung is at fault, but the appliance dealers who are still selling these with this known flaw are also culpable.  This is not a new problem, and they know it exists.

0 Likes
usere5iwLJoMmL
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We have had a guy out and he has replaced the ice maker twice in 2 weeks and it still has never made ice so off to call samsung again

0 Likes
GreenTimeMusic
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My 22 cubic ft. Counter Depth 4-Door French Door Food Showcase Refrigerator MODEL NUMBER: RF22KREDBSG/AA has two issues both have to do with ice and leaking water. The Ice cubes get all jammed up inside the ice maker and I have to get a knife or screwdriver and unjam the cubes about once every 3 months. Also when using the ice crush feature there is a bunch of crushed ice that conglomerates at the top of the icechute which eventually melts and leaks water all down the water drip area overflowing that and going all down the inside of the fridge as well as down the front unto the lower freezer drawer and onto the floor. This is every day (yes we use the ice crusher feature daily). This is a bad design and it needs to be repaired of replaced. I purchased over $7,000 worth of Samsung appliance when I bought my house in 2016. And I also purchased the 3 year extended warranty. Please advise.

Mark

PS... Really? Can't use the word icechute? How is that a bad word?

0 Likes
userUFJTgfgubv
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have been working on this off an on for a few weeks. I watched a lot of videos, read a lot of posts, and studied the Samsung Service Manual which is available on the internet if you search for it. I started by replacing the fan/auger assembly as that seemed to be a common failure item and had gone through several revisions. Of course, that didn't help. If I understand correctly, the fan on the top of the auger assembly is designed to send air across the cooling element and to the front of the ice compartment to keep the ice cold. I think that something (possibly main PCB) isn't triggering the fan to run. You should be able to feel air circulating through the ice maker by opening the ice dispenser with your fingers. I think if the main doors are opened, the fan stops. I tested the fan outside of the fridge before I installed it. It is a 12vDC fan so i just cut the connector off of a 12 volt power supply and touched the wires to the fan connector. The fan worked good so I know that that isn't the issue. The first panel you take off when attempting a repair is the plastic that covers the wiring harness and connectors. The back plug that isn't required to be removed is labled DC12V 2.0W. I assume that is the 12V needed to run the fan? My next step is to test that connector for 12Vdc and if it's there, I might make a jumper from that connector to the wires that go to the fan. Page 87 of the Service Manual has a section on troubleshooting the ICE Room fan. One of the suggestions is checking/replacing the Main PCB Ground. Page 103 has a diagram of the Main PCB and all the components. I haven't even looked for the main PCB but I think its on the back. Maybe it's as simple as a loose ground. And, of course, be careful for high voltage if you start messing with the boards. And....I did do a live chat with Customer Service and his troubleshooting was unplug the power cord for 1 minute then plug back in. I told him that didn't work and he never responded back. I left the chat open for almost 3 hours with no response.

0 Likes