cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usertSgX7VSrOC
Astronaut

Re: RF28HFEDBSR/AA Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same 4 door Samsung refrigerator and same problem.  Bought the refrigerator from Sears just over a year ago.  Have been having problems with the ice maker freezing up and geting stuck most of the past year.  Prying out the pieces of ice has helped in the past but this time there is too many frozen parts.

Is Sears authorized from Samsung to make the repairs?  Who should I contact?

userSWSvrEb6Y9
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Like most others here, my multi-thousand dollar refrigerator is plagued with the frozen ice maker and flooding crisper issues. Seeing how prevalent the issues are, I decided to try resolving the issue through Samsung first. I called last week and described the issues and how common they were (referencing this thread and others). I was told I had to have a tech come out and diagnose/fix the issue before Samsung could assist further. If the issue turned out to be a known issue, I was told to call back for additional assistance. The rep claimed this was not a known issue and wouldn't acknowledge these forums or any other reports of similar issues.

Today, the tech came out and confirmed I had the same issue as everyone else. He literally laughed when I told him Samsung claimed not to know about these issues. He said they fix the same things all the time. Total cost: $341.00.

My next step was to call back Samsung to report that the issue was indeed caused by the design flaws and the ice maker had been replaced with the new version. Knowing that day 1 design flaws should be treated separately from warranty issues, I assumed the cost would be covered as discussed when I spoke to the previous rep.

The fact that I'm writing this tells you that did not happen.

Call 1 - 14 Minutes

The first person I spoke with tried his best to help and was pleasant, but ultimately told me he could not help because he was in the wrong group. On his end, the work order said the ice maker wasn't broken. I scanned and sent the physical work order that said "Ice Maker" in the comments area to prove that was indeed what was replaced. He said I needed to call again and follow a different path (Refrigerator > Appliances > Rep).

Call 2 - 45 Minutes

The second call started much the same as the first, but ultimately I was told that it wouldn't be covered because it was out of warranty. When I objected based on the repair being due to a design flaw, the rep argued throughout the call that my ice maker had "broken" (it hadn't). What followed was a series of circular conversations and long hold sessions (including one where she thought I was on hold but I could hear her talking to others and laughing the entire time I was "on hold"), that got me nowhere. The second rep was the single most rude and unprofessional person I have ever spoken with on the phone. By the end, she was literally laughing at me (check the recording, please) and gleefully pointing out that it was out of warranty. She snapped at me when I suggested there should be a recall (there should be). She claimed that Samsung never covers these kinds of issues (it does) and that there is no group to escalate above her (there is).

Her last great compromise was to tell me I should file a claim with my home warranty company to cover the repair that had already been completed and paid for by me. Having originally bypassed that option because Samsung told me I had to use their tech if I wanted additional help, this suggestion seemed especially tone-deaf. Considering the new ice maker is already installed and I've already spent $341.00, this "solution" was clearly not going to work. The conversation ended with me begging to take the survey knowing full well the results will likely never see the light of day - as did the rep who continued laughing as she sent me to the survey.

Bottom Line: As a consumer, I shouldn't be held responsible for Samsung's mistakes. Consumers should not be your pilot testers. The charade of having the tech come out to determine if Samsung can help further is nothing short of a fraud. Furthermore, the agent's behavior was beyond appalling. I have never been treated like that by anyone for any reason. I followed the process as requested by Samsung and was openly mocked and ridiculed for doing so.

Pretending not to know about this issue, refusing to issue a recall, and pulling a bait-and-switch with the service techs is borderline fraud. Samsung has to do better than this.

I'll be very curious to see if the mods on this forum find customer service issues as knee-slappingly hilarious as the phone reps do.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good morning, James! I've reached out to you via private message...

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userOddZEHg9Z0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Which James?  There is hundreds in this thread at this point.

Besides which you don't need to reach out to us each one on one. You need to announce a recall and repair of all affected fridges with a REAL solution that actually works and extend your warranty for another 5 years on the ice maker.

Which is what the consumer protection agency agrees with me would be reasonable.

dblotii4S
Constellation

RF23HCEDBBC/AA Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have now replaced the water valve and the auger assembly with the latest versions from Samsung.  None of this has made any difference.  It made 1 tray of ice after re-starting and no matter what I do, it will not make any more.  I can reset and get the beep, but no ice even after several days.  I even rest the whole fridge, no difference.  If I next replace the "icemaker" (I believe the latest version is 97-13718c) I will have updated the whole icemaking system with the latest new replacment parts from Samsung.  If this step does not work, will Samsung warranty the new parts?  My fridge is 3 years old.  

Dave

Black Hole

Re: RF23HCEDBBC/AA Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I apologize, we are unable to speculate on the parts warranty. I would recommend reaching out to the retailer the parts were purchased from. 

userJKLyCVnmHV
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I read there is a class action lawsuit. What years and models does it cover?

userwg8el5u5Uo
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been dealing with the ice maker issue for some time as well.  I come here, see that you're supposed to PM the mods with info, which I try to do but get an error because I'm not allowed to say ice c-h-u-t-e, which after correcting I'm then told I've hit the limit of PMs I can send, even though nothing has been sent.  Awesome support.

Highlighted
dblotii4S
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How about this; please send me the latest version of the ice-maker and I will replace it myself.

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you attempting to send PMs through your phone or PC?