JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Refrigerator Ice Maker Issues (All Models)

(Topic created on: 7/9/18 9:39 AM)
joeydonuts
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This happens occasionally, I usually pull out the ice bucket and re-insurt and it starts producing.

This time it won't start, it's been two days.

I can't find the reset button.

model RF263BEAESR

 

Thanks

1,831 Replies
JeffreyP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We just had the Best Buy Geek Squad out.  We bought the 5 year warranty for our Family Hub Fridge.

 

1 year in the ice maker started leaking, wet ice, freezing up, etc.

 

Best Buy Warranty service was great. They KNEW about the icemaker issue when I called on the phone.

 

They shipped to me in advance, all brand new (&redesigned) parts to my home. Came out and replaced EVERYTHING! Took them 30 minutes, all brand new parts (icemaker, auger, seals, everything).

 

So far ice has been great.  Service tech told me there are loads of issues with these icemakers but the fix was to replace them and seal the compartment with silicone.

 

So far, so good.  The Best Buy people do not mess around!

0 Likes
user8xSxDS6iTH
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@JeffreyP wrote:

We just had the Best Buy Geek Squad out.  We bought the 5 year warranty for our Family Hub Fridge.

 

1 year in the ice maker started leaking, wet ice, freezing up, etc.

 

Best Buy Warranty service was great. They KNEW about the icemaker issue when I called on the phone.

 

They shipped to me in advance, all brand new (&redesigned) parts to my home. Came out and replaced EVERYTHING! Took them 30 minutes, all brand new parts (icemaker, auger, seals, everything).

 

So far ice has been great.  Service tech told me there are loads of issues with these icemakers but the fix was to replace them and seal the compartment with silicone.

 

So far, so good.  The Best Buy people do not mess around!


How long has it been?  I had the compartment sealed and all the newest parts put in a few months ago, and it was good for about 6-8 weeks before all the original issues came back.

0 Likes
JeffreyP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@user8xSxDS6iTH wrote:

@JeffreyP wrote:

We just had the Best Buy Geek Squad out.  We bought the 5 year warranty for our Family Hub Fridge.

 

1 year in the ice maker started leaking, wet ice, freezing up, etc.

 

Best Buy Warranty service was great. They KNEW about the icemaker issue when I called on the phone.

 

They shipped to me in advance, all brand new (&redesigned) parts to my home. Came out and replaced EVERYTHING! Took them 30 minutes, all brand new parts (icemaker, auger, seals, everything).

 

So far ice has been great.  Service tech told me there are loads of issues with these icemakers but the fix was to replace them and seal the compartment with silicone.

 

So far, so good.  The Best Buy people do not mess around!


How long has it been?  I had the compartment sealed and all the newest parts put in a few months ago, and it was good for about 6-8 weeks before all the original issues came back.


Only 3 days after the fix, LoL   What is your course of action now?

0 Likes
userOsHJEVNqa5
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We started having the same issue a few months ago...  model # RF28HFEDBSR/AA.  The ice is slushy, water drips, and it builds up and gets stuck to form a huge cluster.  When this happens we chip away and defrost to get it working again for a month or so...  then press repeat.

 

Our fridge is out of warranty and after reading every single post on this thread I am choosing not to call Samsung as it seems like a battle already lost...  hence we contacted KSG for information on the class action lawsuit.  The reason Samsung stopped responding is they know they have an expensive issue at hand but do not have an inexpensive solution...  so maybe the lawsuit can force their hand.

 

In the mean time everyone on here should be contacting KSG as well...  but understand these things can take several years to come to fruition.

 

https://kohnswift.com/2017/03/16/ksg-files-class-action-complaint-against-samsung-for-refrigerators-...

 

We are a few months into this issue but I'm not sure how long we can wait for a functioning ice maker...  we may try to sell the unit being honest about its faults and try to cut our loses.  I imagine it would cost the better part of $1,000 to have someone come "attempt" to fix it and that is $1,000 I would rather put towards another branded refrigerator.

0 Likes
user8xSxDS6iTH
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@JeffreyP wrote:


Only 3 days after the fix, LoL   What is your course of action now?


Guess I'll have to see if anything happens with the class action suit?  In the meantime, I periodically remove the icemaker and auger assembly, and use a hairdryer on a low heat setting to melt everything out of the compartment.  That seems to last at least a few weeks =/

 

We're already planning on finding another brand of refrigerator in the next few months, because it's not worth the hassle.  I've lost faith in Samsung as an appliance maker.

0 Likes
userNtZCZaplLy
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I did the hair dryer method for about 6-7 months (used it on my ice maker more than my own hair!)  Well - that solution isn't working any more - contacted Lowes - extended warranty in place - have very very low expectations - making ice the old fashioned way - trays and a bucket.  I'll have a new fridge before the class action ever does anything and guessing that any money received should it ever happen will be just about enough to buy another hair dryer.

0 Likes
useriqVMIxVUZJ
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Best Buy replaced my ice maker and now I am having issues you have only 90 days to have them come back and fix it but I think its a losing battle! My response from Samsung on the forum was that they have no issues reported to them about my model refrigerator and that basically everyone on this forum is making up these issues......

0 Likes
userJOw9xQf73q
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The model I purchased at a "sidewalk sale" at Lowes (RF23HCEDBSR/AA 02 mfg. 4/18.  I paid $750.  This replaced at 7.5 year old unit which was a Samsung with an icemaker which I never hooked up and which completely died during a power outage when we went away for the weekend.    Even though my husband is a master plumber and is just dying to hook it up,  I am begging him not to do that.  My solution to having ice?  Buying bags and placing them in my freezer compartment.  I would love to have a working ice and water through the door (this model is selling for around $1800-2400 online) but for now, it is a front door decoration with a sign posted inside which says "Just for looks."

0 Likes
userqNBxwFBE3k
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have this part number, just checked, and I still have the problem.    Ice bucket/tray is cracked, I will try the silicon fix to see if that prevents the condensation - and eventually ice- that forms, requiring me to do the hairdryer treatment.

 

 

0 Likes
userHZ87Io5ue0
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

If you still have this fridge, give this free fix a try.  It worked for me and the guy who made the video below.  Hope this helps y'all like it did me!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXL2sDGFkR0

A simple fix for leaking ice maker in Samsung refrigerator.
0 Likes