cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Water Leak from Ice Maker

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I literally second everything you wrote! I have their stove, fridge, dishwasher, top range microwave, washer & dryer! ALL have had issues and they are barely a year old! absolutely rediculius!
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
How do you get your box replaced?
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We're glad that you found a resolution.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same problem. We love our fridge, but after a year the ice maker has started to leak. When we turn the ice maker off the majority of the time (i.e. just keep it on overnight when we need to make new ice and then turn it off again in the morning), the problem isn't as bad, but I don't think this should be necessary. We have geek squad coming this week, but I would like to make sure I understand how to approach the problem in case we don't have a motivated or knowledgeable service person. Could you please provide some additional info? Thanks. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Geek squad was GREAT for my icemaker problem.  They pre-shipped all parts beforehand and replaced EVERYTHING in the icemaker. This included the icemaker unit, slide out tray and rubber boot.  They also sealed the ice compartment with silicone as an added step.

When I called they seemed to know exactly the issue.  It took them 30 mins to replace everything and my icemaker has been flawless for the past 6 months.  No buildup, no melted ice, no drips no nothing.  The ice is super cold and has a glistening/sparkling/frosted appearance. Glad I got the 5 year warranty with this fridge.  

I also asked them about repeat fixes for this issue and the tech said they havent had one repeat call after their fix, so I am hopeful.

Also, see my previous post below about the problem of water releasing when you get ice:

Here is the fix that works for me:

The release of water when you go to get ice is caused when you prematurely remove your glass from the trigger the previous time you got ice.

Ice sits in the slide and melts slowly until the next time you get ice. Then the melted ice releases as water. I find this small amount of melted ice (1 or 2 cubes) acceptable. Its impossible for that 'orphaned' ice that remains in the slide to stay frozen. It will never happen.

What I do to even prevent this from occuring at all anymore is this. You have to remove your glass from the trigger when you hear/feel a 'batch' of ice coming down the slide and landing into your glass. The auger releases ice in small batches as it turns.

If you practice a little and pay attention you can prevent any water from ever being formed from orphaned melted ice in the slide. If you prematurely remove you glass in the middle of a 'batch'of ice being released, some cubes will always be left behind and melt.

Now, if your new cubes themselves come down the slide half melted, that is a problem with the ice compartment itself. I had mine replaced and the cubes are very whiteish frozen and glistening. They are super cold cubes. If they are wet and sloppy and 'see-through (transparent) they are not cold enough and the box is your problem.

The orphaned ice/small water melt issue just takes knowing when to stop the ice and not in 'mid-release'.

It works 100% as I have been testing this for over 4 months now.

Give it a try and you will see.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We appreciate the input!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JeffreyPThat's great they knew what they were doing.  So they only replaced the three parts?  Would you be able to provide the part numbers they used (hopefully on the receipt)?  Thanks.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The parts on the work order were:  

8773552, 8773552, 8773552, 5119106, 8773552

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JeffreyPDarn, looks like those are best buy SKU numbers for the repair.  Thanks anyway.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you get Samsung to replace it free of charge including labor?