JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Refrigerator Ice Maker Issues (All Models)

(Topic created on: 1/7/19 4:20 PM)
joeydonuts
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This happens occasionally, I usually pull out the ice bucket and re-insurt and it starts producing.

This time it won't start, it's been two days.

I can't find the reset button.

model RF263BEAESR

Thanks

1,832 Replies
userLXDRLawbdc
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I just had a complete replacement of the ice maker in my 2015 refrigerator.  The ice maker had stopped working some time ago.  The parts replaced were; the ice maker, auger assembly, ice bucket, and special Y kit.  The air gaps were also filled with silicone.  The ice maker and auger assembly were manufactured in late August of this year.   I waited on the parts to come in for about 7 weeks.   The first couple of batches were a little slushy, but that probably was due to the temperature that was not stabilized yet.  The next morning, the ice bucket was about 90% full.  I believe I have the latest parts that are available.   I will post updates on the 1st and 15th of each month for those of you that are interested to know if the problem has been fixed yet or not.  I have the 4 door chef choice refrigerator.  Temperature is set to 37 degrees, and the energy saver is turned off.

Refrigerator model: RF24J9960S4/AA
New Part Numbers:
Ice Maker; DA97-13718C
Auger: DA97-12540G
Ice Bucket:  No model # on bucket.  (the vanes on the auger that move the ice to the door are more robust)
Y clips: DA82-02367A

October 1: Ice bucket full this morning, no sign of frost/ice  build up on the bottom or side of ice maker.   

October 15: Ice bucket full this morning.  No sign of frost or ice build up in the ice maker.  

November 1: Ice bucket full this morning.  I did notice a very small amount of frost on the bottom and side of the ice maker.  It easily wipe off with a kitchen towel.  Not sure if this is going to be needed on a monthly basis or not going foreward.

November 15: Ice bucket full.  Small amount on frost on the bottom of the ice maker again.
I did  not wipe it off this time as I want too see if it starts to grow in the coming weeks.     

November 30: Ice bucket remains full.    Slight amount of frost on the bottom and back of ice   maker.  Not really visible, but you can feel with you hand.  Slightly more than 2 weeks ago.          

December 15:  Ice bucket remains full.  Slight amount of frost on the side, back and bottom of       ice bucket. Again, very small amount.  I agree with a prior post.  Having the ice maker inside of the refrigerator compartment is going to be problematic no matter what brand it is.

January 2: Frost on the bottom and side of ice maker, again a small amount, but it is visible.  Ice maker continues to work.  On Christmas day we had a large family gathering.  The ice ran out as it was not able to keep up.  The next morning the buck was completely full again.

0 Likes
userx3BDmO42mT
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thanks for the detailed post, am about to “repair” my brand new fridge bought in December 2017 for the same issue. It seems to have come with all the upgraded parts, and worked fine for about 11 months, but now has developed the same issue of ice buildup on the ice maker, no ice production, etc.  So I’m assuming it’s an air leak between the refrigerator and ice room that developed over time-  so hoping the silicone seal will help.  Will keep this group posted.

0 Likes
userMqu4fA2wMu
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

btw.. I should mention mine is actually a 36" counter depth version not a 28.... as in this thread. However, all the same symptoms.  It's across all Samsung unfortunately.

make sure they replace all the parts -- see the previous post. but here's the numbers for the 28

Ice Maker; DA97-13718C
Ice Bucket:  No model # on bucket.  (the vanes on the auger that move the ice to the door are more robust)

Silicone the Ice Maker again.

Mine was done Tuesday and I looked today and see no additonal condensation on the ice maker ... yet.

0 Likes
userCa8ICr15Ig
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

what model is your counter depth fridge?  I have a CD as well, just wondering if the model # you posted will fit mine as well.

0 Likes
userMqu4fA2wMu
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Rf23hcedbsr/aa

And whoops... its 36" wide... hence my saying it was a 36. Sorry my bad.

Things are ok with it... though i have had some water sitting on the freezer door so im guessing its defrosting itself more regularly. 

0 Likes
DaleJrFan88
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Not surprised at all the repair finally failed. Surprised it took 4 months. There is no fix that will ever work for this poor poor design.   Samsung needs to make it right!

0 Likes
userCa8ICr15Ig
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Agreed, but Samsung will never “make it right”.  They are denying there is anything wrong at this point and will likely continue to do so.  They believe there is no upside for them to repair or replace these refrigerators.  Which is wrong, unfortunately, as a repair or replace would redeem them in my eyes.  As of now, I will never knowingly purchase a Samsung product of any kind.

userLXDRLawbdc
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Samsung refrigerator
September 25

I just had a complete replacement of the ice maker in my 2015 refrigerator.  The ice maker had stopped working some time ago.  The parts replaced were; the ice maker, auger assembly, ice bucket, and special Y kit.  The air gaps were also filled with silicone.  The ice maker and auger assembly were manufactured in late August of this year.   I waited on the parts to come in for about 7 weeks.   The first couple of batches were a little slushy, but that probably was due to the temperature that was not stabilized yet.  The next morning, the ice bucket was about 90% full.  I believe I have the latest parts that are available.   I will post updates on the 1st and 15th of each month for those of you that are interested to know if the problem has been fixed yet or not.  I have the 4 door chef choice refrigerator.  Temperature is set to 37 degrees, and the energy saver is turned off.

Refrigerator model: RF24J9960S4/AA
New Part Numbers:
Ice Maker; DA97-13718C
October 1: Ice bucket full this morning, no sign of frost/ice  build up on the bottom or side of ice maker.   

October 15: Ice bucket full this morning.  No sign of frost or ice build up in the ice maker.  

November 1: Ice bucket full this morning.  I did notice a very small amount of frost on the bottom and side of the ice maker.  It easily wipe off with a kitchen towel.  Not sure if this is going to be needed on a monthly basis or not going foreward.

November 15: Ice bucket full.  Small amount on frost on the bottom of the ice maker again.
I did  not wipe it off this time as I want too see if it starts to grow in the coming weeks.     

November 30: Ice bucket remains full.    Slight amount of frost on the bottom and back of ice   maker.  Not really visible, but you can feel with you hand.  Slightly more than 2 weeks ago.          

December 15:  Ice bucket remains full.  Slight amount of frost on the side, back and bottom of       ice bucket. Again, very small amount.  I agree with a prior post.  Having the ice maker inside of the refrigerator compartment is going to be problematic no matter what brand it is.

January 2: Frost on the bottom and side of ice maker, again a small amount, but it is visible.  Ice maker continues to work.  On Christmas day we had a large family gathering.  The ice ran out as it was not able to keep up.  The next morning the buck was completely full again.

January 15: It is with deep sadness that I need to report that the ice maker is once again frozen up.  There is quite a bid of frost buildup below the ice maker, and the cubes are again log jammed and stuck on the side of the ice maker.  I will be purchasing a hand held steamer to defrost it as recommended by the repair tech.  Repair lasted less then 4 months.  Samsung its time to go back to the drawing board again and find a better solution.

userZhzyhayCC9
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have model RF22KREDBSR, and have been having the exact same issue as everyone else with the ice maker. They already came out once and did the technical service bulletin replacing all the parts, sealing the ice box with silcone, putting in that clip, etc.. 4 months later, I just had a technician come out and fix it again. This time he could not find out what the problem was, and called a Samsung support line that authorized technicians can use to get help when they are stumped. The technician told him that there is actually ANOTHER step that will be added to the technical service bulleting soon, that has not been added yet, and explained to him how to do it. I wish I could have heard the conversation so I could pass on the details to the rest of you, but basically this fridge has a service menu that can be accessed by holding down certain buttons on the control panel for a few seconds (which a lot of you already know.) The technician on the phone had him adjust a setting to "extend heater runtime." So whatever he adjusted, it makes it run longer than it did before, and it is supposed to help! At this point, I honestly feel this fix is too good to be true, but it's only been 1 day, and I am going to be watching my ice maker like a hawk to see if this fixes it! Since my fridge is out of warranty and there is only ONE authorized samsung service repair company in my entire area and the warranty for this fix only lasts for 90 days (which I think is pathetic), you can betcha I will be calling them back before the 90 days are up if this does not fix it!

userMqu4fA2wMu
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Yah that new step isn't public yet.. I emailed my tech who was just out in the last two weeks and he said he's not heard of it.

0 Likes