cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uservhIAN9tI0p
Asteroid

Re: RF28HFEDBSR/AA Ice Maker Issue UPDATE AFTER SERVICE VISIT

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My manual does tell you how to adjust the defrost cycle. It also says the reference number (factory setting) is 19. So if you use the manual to go to the option setting you will be able to see what it is now - 20, 21? It can be set as high as 100% per my manual.

In regard to your comment about using a hair dryer, as I have previously stated, use on a low heat setting and don't get too close. A steamer can cause damage if not used properly plus you'll be throwing good money after the bad that you spent on that Samsung junker.

userS2WVi4XV3A
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Awesome. Super Bowl Sunday and problems with my ice maker! It had been 1.5 years since it was repalced and had been working flawlessly. Ice had quit coming out of it. I looked in and it was all iced up. It looked like the bucket had overflowed as cubes were right up on top where they are ejected. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work since it was frozen solid. The suitcase (ice bucket) is cracked again. Not sure why.

Threw it into FD. I thought I got all of the ice out of it but I haven't heard any ice drop yet.

Still under extended warranty so they will come once again replace what is needed.

What a waste.

uservhIAN9tI0p
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Press the reset button until you hear a beep. Then the first batch may take an hour or two depending on how warm the icehouse got while in FD.

userS2WVi4XV3A
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The ice maker seems to be making ice normally again. I will call about the cracked bucket tomorrow. I turned the freezer to -2 and frig to 36F. I need to check my out of warranty date so I can sleep better.

userocZYrKXF8A
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please add me to this list.  I have been dealing with the ice maker issues for 5 years now.  Had it replaced under warranty and have replaced it myself twice.  Now it is stopped again.  I have had 'chats' with two service people online who say there is NO reported problems with the ice maker. There are 75 pages of customers who have the same issue!!  I think they should send out a repairman, gratis, for all of the trouble I have had, instead of denying it is an issue.  Samsung is losing a lot of good customer karma.

userS2WVi4XV3A
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The repairman just left. He installed yet another icemaker. DA97-15217D DATE CODE 2018-05-02. Same exact number that was on the one that was replaces. Hard to believe it is different. I hope the margin on the frig was enough to cover all of parts and calls. Tech estimated $350.

He said this one has a lip on a back portion where it is ramped. I didn't see the new one so I cannot verify. He did disassemble everything and said that the previous seal job should have been applied to the side and back on the inside not the outside and that they had not used the correct sealant. He claimed, as I have read before, that when this area leaks, air gets in and can cause issues. He also mentioned that he thought that Samsung had made improvments to the icemaker where Frigidare just kept providing the same old maker. Whatever. I told his this was the second icemaker installed and he claimed he doesn't have many repeat calls. He is sending a new ice bucket assembly. Again, thank goodness for the extended warranty.

userMqu4fA2wMu
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

45 days later and the compressor is frozen up yet again as is the ice maker. 

Hey Samsung moderator... how about you refund my purchase price and I'll buy something which actually works?

At this point the warranty has paid for this pos at least 1 additional time.

userS2WVi4XV3A
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userS2WVi4XV3A wrote:

The repairman just left. He installed yet another icemaker. DA97-15217D DATE CODE 2018-05-02. Same exact number that was on the one that was replaces. Hard to believe it is different. I hope the margin on the frig was enough to cover all of parts and calls. Tech estimated $350.

He said this one has a lip on a back portion where it is ramped. I didn't see the new one so I cannot verify. He did disassemble everything and said that the previous seal job should have been applied to the side and back on the inside not the outside and that they had not used the correct sealant. He claimed, as I have read before, that when this area leaks, air gets in and can cause issues. He also mentioned that he thought that Samsung had made improvments to the icemaker where Frigidare just kept providing the same old maker. Whatever. I told his this was the second icemaker installed and he claimed he doesn't have many repeat calls. He is sending a new ice bucket assembly. Again, thank goodness for the extended warranty.

Thje ice bucket alone is $160. The tech was referencing the service bulletin while here. I need to watch for cracks and icing going forward.

userNGl2kwXpjd
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The manual options menu you're referencing can be reached by simultaneously pressing Alarm and Fridge buttons for 12-15 seconds. It might take a few times to get in (at least it does for me). Once in, the screen will show '0' for both fridge and freezer.

Manual setting code is on the left side. reference code is on the right side.

Controls to navigate are:

Freezer = setting code up

Alarm = setting code down

Fridge = reference code up

Light = reference code down

Reference codes are:

• Freezer temp changes: 0
  • Fresh food temp changes: 1
  • Dispenser heater rate: 19
  • Flex zone drawer temp change: 20
  • Amount of water supply: 32
  • Ice maker standby time: 33
  • Ice maker box temp change: 34

My understanding aftre talking with a tech is that the reference code '19' (press light twice) operates the defrost heaters for fridge, ice box, and freezer. It doesn't act on just one.

There are only two options:

• '0' - heater rate under 20%
  • '1' - heater rate equal to or greater than 20%

It isn't clear that there is a way to manually adjust the heater rate to a specific number.

There is also a manual override 'testing' function that is available from a test menu. To reach the test menu, press Freezer and Light simultaneously for 12-15 seconds. The screen usually goes blank for me. Press any key until you see 'rd' or 'Fd'

rd = manual defrost of the fresh food compartment

Fd = manual defrost of the fresh food and freezer compartments.

The fridge will beep incessantly during the testing mode, but works. The tech who came out to service my fridge used it before he used the steamer. He said it was faster and safer for the fridge. You might need to run it several times in a row to get it to dislodge all of the ice buildup.

Highlighted
userwHXLHUyoXV
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had nothing but trouble with my ice maker on my Samsung refrigerator. I have the extended warranty and they have worked on it 4-5 times.....never fixing it. It always freezes up eventually. My old refrigerator that was replaced was a 25 year old Samsung as well. We had zero issues with it except for a water valve after 20 years. It is still making ice today in my garage. Still zero issues.....but my new one doesn’t work!!?? Why doesn’t Samsung do something about this issue? This is ridiculous. If there are this many complaints just on this forum, imagine how many people are getting scammed that never get on forums! Please do something Samsung! I doubt they will because it would cost them too much money. The CEOs wouldn’t get their big bonuses and couldn’t afford their second yacht  down in the Caribbean. 🙄😡