JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Refrigerator Ice Maker Issues (All Models)

(Topic created on: 3/2/17 5:37 AM)
joeydonuts
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This happens occasionally, I usually pull out the ice bucket and re-insurt and it starts producing.

This time it won't start, it's been two days.

I can't find the reset button.

model RF263BEAESR

Thanks

1,831 Replies
bgejr
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Yea I did the reset, doesn’t fix the faulty sensor. Obviously either the sensor, control board, or entire assembly need to be replaced. Trying to figure out the simplest/least costly solution without introducing a new problem. Right now I have never had the frost buildup (fan) or slushy ice problem others have had. Unit makes ice great, just wont shut off (sensor) when full. Thinking I will take the assembly out when I get time and see if I can isolate the problem to the component level.

0 Likes
userbqDhotp7jv
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We chose the Samsung rf28hfedbsr refrigerator because it was supposed to be worth the high cost, but we have had the same troubles with our ice maker since we bought it in 2014. My wife loves iced tea and is so frustrated with the defective ice maker that she now uses $1 ice trays:( We have paid several tech’s, missed several hours of work to meet the tech’s and continuously defrost:pouting_face: Samsung should be embarrassed for having such an inferior product! Now our container has cracked due to it freezing and being removed so many times during the 100+ defrosts. Has there been a class action law suit yet to force Samsung do the right thing?

Mike in St Louis

0 Likes
userL3zxqPFZx3
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Agree,  this is ridiculous.  I too bought my Samsung refrigerator in 2014.   Had ice maker replaced in 2015 and 2017.    Seal was repaired on second repair by different  company.   Now having issues again.   This was  not an inexpensive refrigerator and Samsung does not stand behind their product.   I can’t wait for class action.  We need one!

0 Likes
usercysvtLi7zb
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It would be great if companies discover there is a design flaw with a product, they offer to fix it not offer some workaround that requires emptying out the fridge and defrosting it for 24 hours.  At least the fridge doesn't blow up like the Samsung washing machine

userlMTI4sKcui
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Use a hairdryer for 5min. Works like charm.Had to do 2 times in 2 years..

0 Likes
userCzgtAxoQyk
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Since Samsung has been so unresponsive if you purchased your appliance with a credit card many offer an extended warranty automatically of at least 1 extra year.  Have the item repaired and send the receipt to the credit card company for reimbursement.  With over 2000 online complaints about Samsung refrigerator and ice maker problems there has to be a class action lawsuit in the works which will force them to pay.

uservOTOu3d96D
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Whew. That sounds like a lot of work in this technological date and Age.

I've been through 4 rounds in the past 6 months keeping the Geek Squad and A&E Factory Service folks busy.

1/ May '18 = Tech comes out and happily smears new silicone to "seal" a cold zone unit designed and built into a warm zone. Not the best design . . . . .

2/ June '18 = Tech comes out, looks around and announces new resoltuion, since previous "seal the cracks with silicone fix" didn't work, is to replace the Auger Case Assembly per Samsung ASC20151125001 Service Bulletin. He does his thing and leaves.

3/ July '18 = Tech comes out, takes a look and announces that the real problem isn't the lack of air circulation in the compartment but rather factory assembly issues with the water line!!! Man, I wasn't impressed with that statement ( something about spraying water over ice cubes . . . . . )

4/ October '18 = Tech comes out, looks around and announces there is now a new resolution. Seems they want to replace the entire assembly and the printed circuit board that controls the ice make. WOW!! I'm impressed since I thought maybe it was hardware and software issue all along. BUT, had to order the parts and could not come back out for 2 weeks but keep eye open for parts shipped to me from Samsung. What's a guy to do? Oh well, I already bought a huge ice maker and from time to time I bag up about 10 pounds of ice into baggies since the ice maker in my $3,400 fridge DOESN'T WORK SO WELL.

In summary, you may detect I am as upset as anyone else. The only thing that has kept me from going berserk is that when I bought 4 Samsung appliances for my kitchen remodel, I DID PURCHASE A 5 YEAR SERVICE AGREEMENT FOR THE FRIDGE!!!

AND, I did join the class action complaint . . . . . BUT, it is very unlikely that I will ever buy Samsung products again. A lifetime warranty might change my mind.

0 Likes
userh4LNtVByXI
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have seen a couple of references to a service bulletin that would call for replacing the ice maker fan/auger assembly with an improved model that will provide a heated area to help implement defrosting and improve the circulation of cold air. Without this the ice melts somewhat causing it to stick together. When the conveyer moves the ice down the chute it causes shaving producing virtual snow that generally sticks in the down chute. This will melt and turn into water which will eventually leak out of the flapper. It also will produce mold that can end up in your glass. 

The service bulletin calls for repacement of the original fan/auger assembly DA9712540A with DA9712540G and also the control panel plus additional parts in the ice maker.

If anyone knows the bulletin number please let the rest of us know.

uservmsVV4XqDm
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Same issue, worked great for 2 and 1/2 years, wife liked the ice. Now she has slowed down and we get the same issues.  Pictures are the same so I am sure it is the full sensor.  But before I spend $$ I want to see if there is a replacement from Samsung.  

0 Likes
usergRF89QtSMA
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We are having the same issue a couple times a week. We want this fixed or a new refrigerator. We spent 3500 for a counterfeit refrigerator and it's been nothing but problems.

0 Likes