cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userWweTz5Rhbd
Astronaut

Re: RF28HFEDBSR/AA Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Had this done by the samsung certified repair man, and he replaced the icemaker.  Back to same problem.  Ices up in the back and won't let cubes out.  Still sweatty cubes.  Repair man said this is continuing problem, and there is a class action suit.  I'm looking for it now.

easperhe
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All, I was able to fix my RF28HFEDBSR ice make for little money.

My fridge had all the common symptoms (sweaty ice, water coming out when getting ice, etc). The source of my problem was a chunk of ice had formed that blocked the air passage from the top of the auger fan to the back of the ice maker. Without the proper air flow from fan, all the common symptoms will occur. In my case, I did not have to replace auger or ice maker. Just remove ice maker (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89RPiWxBcCg), melt the offending ice blocking air flow with steamer or hair dryer (be careful as hair dryer could melt parts), put ice maker back. It's possible that this will reoccur. But knowing the problem saves a lot of time and headaches.

Step by step instructions on how to replace Samsung Icemaker part # DA97-15217D (PD00037355). https://partsdr.com/part/da97-15217d-ice-maker-assembly Samsung OEM part number: DA97-15217D Parts Dr part number: PD00037355 Replaces these parts numbers: DA97-12317A, SZAB001TA1, DA97-15217A ...
userXWi6uHJTBa
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you please let me know about the class action law suit?

userI7twEWC7iu
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bought  a new Samsung Fridge, Model RF28HMEDSR/AA which came with a DA97 15217A 00 icemaker about three years ago and it has the same freeze-up problem. We have to thaw/chip ice buildup in the upper right hand corner of icemaker. This happens more often than not and has been happening since soon after first use . One of my daughters had a similar but older fridge and it had the same problem. They fixed the problem by replacing the Samsung with a Frigidaire.  The new Frigidaire has the icemaker in the freezer section.  Seems that the root cause of this problem is just plain poor design. The icemaker belongs in the freezer section and not in the fridge section.

Chris M
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the 15217a and it has the same problems as the op.  Gonna try the silicone route

user4nl1dVXbvJ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That all sounds good, but it's exactly what the Samsung tech did on my fridge about 80 days after I bought the refrigerator and started having ice maker problems.

Two years later, my DA97-15217A ice maker freezes up about every 30 days or so in spite of a silicone sealer applied.

The problem is bigger than a warm ice compartment.  I've given up and have started purchasing bags of ice.  Big PITA! Also joined the class-action suit and hoping that Samsung has to pay bigtime.  Oh, also have spread the word on social media to NOT buy Samsung.  They obviously do not stand behind their products.

userfePTQi1bAY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Everybody stop,, I finally figured this out, this ice maker has at least 4 different things wrong with it and can not be fixed. (Don't buy old replacement stock). This ice maker has been replaced with an updated model.

Old model part # DA97-12317A

Has been replaced with

New model # DA97-15217A

If you buy the old stock you are sticking trouble right back in your fridge again! I own fridg RF28HMEDBSR and took 4 hours to science the answer today. I knew there had to be an updated model, and I just stumbled on it by chance.

Also don't forget one of the original fix #4 and put a small bead of silicon at the bottom left corner of the main ice box (where ice box meets wall) to seal fridg air from getting into ice maker. That solves the frosty cube problem, (air from fridge condensing on cube box.

This Part PD00027210 (Mfg #DA97-15217A) replaces these parts:

userfePTQi1bAY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Also have to thank Ryan Anderson, Comment on Youtub post with the pay dirt, you da MAN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_OswjcmpnM
userfePTQi1bAY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Reflection

Looking back at (best praticies)  to fix, this is taking way too much time on the billing side of service/coustomer.

Think about how long the tec is going to be there to melt a brick of ice and repair. It would be faster and cheaper for Customer/Samsung to just pull the entire box out of the fridg frozen at one shot. Melt it in the sink, reinstall the box, install updated ice maker (DA97-15217A), melt down the tray in the sink, (dry) reinstall and be out of there in 30 minutes.

user4SjxcpfDLF
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung RF28HFEDBSR

Same issues

I've had the silicone bead done, I've had that auger part replaced and have spent several hundred dollars on three visits. 

I would be willing to participate in a class action suit also.

I will certainly not buy a Samsung refrigerator or  a front load washing machine ever again. I have a lot of respect for Samsung, but these two products really are bad and their customer service has been shameful. 

Cole

thompsoncd (at) fastmail.fm