Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: RF28HMEDBWW Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Could you send us a private message?  http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userwE4cYlGUJq
Constellation

Re: RF28HMEDBWW Ice Maker Issue - "Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" - THERE IS NONE!!!!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

From Samsung: Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

What are you talking about????? There IS no solution to fix a very poor design to begin with. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty because, as with most all, a couple of months out of the factory warranty the icemaker leaked water, froze up, and quite making ice. The icemaker has now been replaced twice with all of the "new parts and updates", including sealing the space around the ice box, and three months after the last replacement I was back to a frozen up icemaker and dripping water. Tech came out from the same repair company ( very good company, by the way) looked at the icemaker, went through the system and said he would call to get a replacement refrigerator authorization. He was speaking with a technician for the warranty company and he was walked through several checks and test. The tech at the warranty company, following Samsung Tech Manual, has decided that the water pressure was too high....I guess even THEY will try anything to avoid replacing defective products. The tech working on the unit indicated his doubt but his hands are tied and we have to go through the dance of the 48 hour complete defrost one more time and, as the tech said, "see ya in a couple more months". The tech indicated that the new repair kit seems to working good for some but many others, such as myself, just have a defective unit that will never be ok. Well, I have three years left on the extended warranty so I expect this will be a moot point as we all know it will fail again and then there won't be an excuse for not replacing. I wish everyone luck with getting anything from Samsung in a class action......only the lawyers are winners in those.

userXWi6uHJTBa
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Me too.
usertJvpqF9J7A
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Reach out to attorneys KS&G in Philadelphia...go to their KohnSwift & Graf's website and submit your complaint there to join the fight!

userSUP6kx2pOu
Astronaut

Re: RF28HFEDBSR/AA Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We too are having the same issue.  Slushy ice not staying frozen, leaking water out of the ice maker.  I've had the ice maker replaced and the service technician said this is a "known problem" without a current fix recommendation from Samsung.  He said we can replace the ice maker again, but it will not fix the problem and we will just have to live with the leak and slusy ice.  We purchased an extended warranty from the retailer we purchased the refrigerator from.  I'm trying to work through them with little success as they just refer it back to the same technician who has already made multiple visits and offered no resolution.  I will join a class action if I can find details. 

We purchased the SS RF28HFEDBSR/AA in June of 2015 and it worked well for the first 1.5 years, then the slushy ice/leak issue became progressively worse.  Seems to be very similar to most posts I've read on this thread. 

userBDeV6j9y9T
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Check on an updated auger motor that has some type of heater for the water line.  The original part was DA97-12540A.  They updated the part in 2017 to DA97-12540F.  Supposedly this was the first part with the heat added.  They are now on version K.  I have an extended repair scheduled for October 10.  I will be discussing this with the tech to see if they are aware of the "updated" part.  I have been having the same ice maker problem after it worked fine for a year and a half.  Thankfully I got an extended 5 year warrantly with a no lemon clause.  We will see how this works out.  This is information I have found online, so there is not garantee that the information is correct.  I just wanted to throw this out in the discussion of the problem and possible solutions.

Pacific Sales extended warranty rep said that they have dealt with this problem very often.  He was well aware of the problem.  Apparantly Samsung is not that smart.

useriJMGp5i6rT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Do you think replacing the auger motor only will solve the issue or will both ice maker and auger motor need replacing?  

userAiJAZPqySJ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I saw something about the fan motor and or seal around fan case mount. Pulled auger/fan unit out cleaned and replaced seal material around fan unit. It appeared to be smashed flat, no flex. Tight reinstall but 2 months in and so far so good. Note fan is available separate in needed.

userhkhwBHENNy
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We have had red tomato paste looking stuff floating in our drinks. Found a huge red thing at the top of the ice maker. Our warranty dept is replacing the fridge. Check to make sure you don't have it too 

userSNHVVm45pS
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing happened to me. There is an ongoing class action suit, this is what I found and will be filling out once I am fully awake tomorrow. If you google it, turns out Samsung knew about this back in 2015. 

KSG has filed a class action complaint against Samsung Electronics America alleging that the company manufactured, sold, and marketing refrigerators with defective ice makers.  The lawsuit was filed on February 23, 2017 in the District Court of New Jersey, and the case is <edited out>