JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Refrigerator Ice Maker Issues (All Models)

(Topic created on: 4/13/16 7:35 AM)
joeydonuts
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This happens occasionally, I usually pull out the ice bucket and re-insurt and it starts producing.

This time it won't start, it's been two days.

I can't find the reset button.

model RF263BEAESR

Thanks

JUMP TO SOLUTION
1,833 Replies
usernZRLTkxl2E
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We purchased our Samsung (same model) in November 2016.  Our ice maker freezes up and won't make ice.  I called an authorized Samsung repair center, and they said the ice maker freezing up is very common among these refrigerators.  They put some silicon around the area but said some parts really need to be replaced.  They said the parts would cost approximately $400 and suggested I call Samsung to see if they would warranty the parts.  I called Samsung, and they refused.  I'm not happy about this at all. I will not be purchasing another Samsung product.

0 Likes
user006CYLUt4g
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Bought a RF23J9011SR/AA in July 2015.  Ice maker started leaking in June 2017.  Had the known mods (at that time) installed and all seemed well until this week when the ice maker started dripping water and freezing up.  Joined the class action lawsuit.

Will never buy another Samsung product of any type again.  A reputable company would have made this right.

0 Likes
user24aebRzGIz
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

So we have the same issue as everyone else. Dripping water. Freezing up of ice maker. Using hair dryer to defrost.  But I do have the Lowe’s extended warranty. But reading through all the threads what I am confused by is HAS ANYONE FOUND A FIX THAT WORKS. If I have them replace with the new ice maker model does that actually fix the problem?  I am sure they will fight replacing the unit and want to try little things - hoping I can give them some substantial backup of what the actual fix needs to be. 

0 Likes
Twotonetommy
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I can speak to the problem and fix.  

Like many others, I have a Samsung fridge (rf23hcedbsr) that started to dribble water from the dispenser and my ice became wet and inconsistent.   I found several technical service bulletins and tried to use sealant around the perimeter of the ice box after removing the ice tray and auger as suggested.  It still was having the same problem.  I found ice would build up under the icemaker where I would end up using a hairdryer to pull everything out and let it thaw and reassemble.   It would work for two or three weeks and then I would have to start the process all over again.  Eventually it just stopped producing ice.

I complained to Samsung directly and included links to these forums where it discussed the ice issue and also the link to the class action lawsuit.   I also sent a link with the youtube video that shows the latest service bulletin.  The video replaces both the auger and ice cube tray assembly, plus a clip and the sealant.

Samsung agreed to pay for the parts but I would have to pay for the service call.  I agreed so long as they replaced both the auger and icemaker assembly since the design has changed slightly.   They agreed. 

It’s been 3 weeks with the latest parts in my fridge and the ice maker is working as new again.  No dribbles or issues producing ice.  There is no more ice buildup underneath the ice cube assembly.   I am very happy and its working great now.   I will try to update this forum again in six months’ time.

Note: I truly don’t think the sealant is the issue since that didn’t solve the issue when I did it myself.

userDUwmDVXlvG
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Do you have the part numbers of the new parts you used?

0 Likes
sconstantine
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Expanding on my experince and the helpful advise of @userfePTQi1bAY, @userNdnKoDH7RC (above), @MLH3, @ahv51, and a number of others in this long but helpful and accurate thread...

I have the RF32FMQDBSR/AA, and like everyone else with this model and similar others, the ice maker performs erradically and freezes the entire ice compartment solid without constant defrosting and attendance.

Please please please: contact Samsung about this issue. Much to my surprise, they were incredibly helpful. I think it is obvious at this point that the system design is flawed and while yes, if your unit is out of warranty like mine, there may be a longer road (including paying out of pocket for the parts) but Samsung will most likely at least cover the service replacement cost.

My repair was completed last week and so far, the unit is working much better. As pointed in previous commments, it is important the replacemnet parts are the newest revisions (slightly different design per each part, assuming addressing/remedying fan/insulation issues). The 4 newest parts (as of writing, Feb/2018) are DA97-15217D (Ice maker assembly), DA97-12540G (auger), DA97-14474C (Ice tray with non-button/newer pull release), and DA82-02367A (Y-clip), (caulking optional but performed in my case).

I'll report back in some time as I give the new system a chance to prove itself.

Again, it should be noted that contacting Samsung does elicit attention to this matter and it should be here on the forums that action is actually taken to address this (quietly known but not publically addressed) issue.

Best of luck my troubled 4-door family!

userrxapNWuiEa
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We just bought ours last november, 2017, and having the same issue. It is still under warranty, but Samsung will not dispatch a technician. They have asked us to try the same things I am reading here. 

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Could you send us a private message so that we can get a technician out?  http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userZtIqrJwc3d
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Wow! Someone from Samsung is listening!

You have a defective product that you know is defective care of a complete re-engineering of parts in an attempt to fix the problem.

This is by law a recall that you must honor on any device over $300 for 10 years per federal law.

If the class action doesn't go forward soon I'll be filing suit in small claims against you. I suggest you start dealing with all of us in a fair way given your defective device you knowingly sold us and take responsibility for this recall and get it done.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Feel free to send us a message with any transaction numbers as well.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes