cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shooshoo
Asteroid

Refrigerator RF217 water leaking through screw hole in back inside wall

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My refrigerator RF217ACWP is leaking water through a screw hole in the back inside wall of the refrigerator.  It is the screw hole where a screw is used to hold the back panel on the inside back wall covering the cooling coils.  The water drips into the right crisper.

I have previously fixed the problem where the ice would dam in the drain hole.  I have installed the fix of a new drain clip to stop the icing.  So for this current problem, I removed the back panel on the inside of the refrigerator and checked to see that the drain was open.  It is functioning properly.

While I had the panel removed, I could see that water was leaking through the screw hole.  It is coming from somewhere inside the refrigerator wall.

I have been watching closely and at first it seemed to leak more when the ice maker was turned on.  The ice maker in my unit is in the freezer compartment on the bottom and NOT in the refrigerator door.  However, today it is leaking and the ice maker is turned off.

Has anyone else experience this, or have any ideas for what else I can troubleshoot?

test1
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
shooshoo
Asteroid

Re: Refrigerator RF217 water leaking through screw hole in back inside wall

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think I have the problem fixed.

I removed the back panel again.  Close inspection showed some cracks in the plastic of the back wall behind the coils.  I caulked the cracks and left the refrigerator unplugged for 3 days.  Water must have seeped in between the wall through the cracks.  Water continued to drip out the screw hole for those three days.  (No way to know what kind of damage was done inside the wall)

The refrigerator has been back on for a week and there is no dripping so far.

I am posting picks of the cracks which were mostly behind the coils.

Hope this will help someone else in the future.  Or better yet, I hope this never happens to anyone else.

IMG_0358.JPEG

IMG_0368.JPEG

test1
9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear about this. This could be caused by a partial blockage in either the drain itself, or in the water flow path to the drain. We recommend having a technician diagnose this for you.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

shooshoo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am attempting to troubleshoot myself before calling a technician for financial reasons.  I appreciate your suggestions and will troubleshoot those areas, and will report back if I find a solution.

test1
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please keep us updated.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

shooshoo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No answer yet, but the problem is definitely exacerbated when the ice maker is on.  If I turn the ice maker on, within an hour the water starts a fairly steady drip from the screw hole.  Once the ice maker is turned off, the crisper dries up and there is only an occasional drip.  It does seem odd that something happening in the freezer would be causing water to pool somewhere in the wall of the unit.  But that is how it appears. 

I have inspected (and cleaned) the back of the refridgerator.  There are no leaks apparent on the outside.  There is no water in the bottom of the unit except for the slight water in the drip pan.  There is no leaking from the water line where it attaches to the refridgerator.  The area where the water line attaches is about 9-12 inches below where I see the water leaking.

test1
shooshoo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried one more time.  I took off the inside back panel.  I verified the drain is open by pouring a cup of water down the drain.  It went right through to the drain pan at the bottom of the refrigerator.  Nothing appears to be frozen.  You can see the screw hole at the bottom right of the photo.  There is a little rust from the screw.

fridge1.jpg

I put the cover back on.  I waited a while.  Everything was dry.  Then I turned on the ice maker.  Within an hour the leaking from the screw hole started again.

fridge2.jpg

test1
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I have your full model code and serial number via private message?

shooshoo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Reporting back in after my last series of troubleshooting...and hoping this helps someone else down the road. I turned off the water to the icemaker. I let everything dry out, and then I turned on the icemaker. The leak was still there even though no ice was being made because there was no water coming in through the supply line. This prompted another test. I let everything dry out again. Then I turned the freezer down to the lowest setting of -8. The leaking started again. So the problem seems to be that when the temperature is colder, there is more condensation or defrosting going on and therefore more water somewhere. Since the leak is coming from inside the wall of the refrigerator, I am wondering if there is a crack or leak in the drain tube that is letting water in between the wall of the fridge. So...next question...Is there anyway to get to the inside and check for a leak in the tube? Everything seems sealed. Water inside the wall can't be good.
test1
shooshoo
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think I have the problem fixed.

I removed the back panel again.  Close inspection showed some cracks in the plastic of the back wall behind the coils.  I caulked the cracks and left the refrigerator unplugged for 3 days.  Water must have seeped in between the wall through the cracks.  Water continued to drip out the screw hole for those three days.  (No way to know what kind of damage was done inside the wall)

The refrigerator has been back on for a week and there is no dripping so far.

I am posting picks of the cracks which were mostly behind the coils.

Hope this will help someone else in the future.  Or better yet, I hope this never happens to anyone else.

IMG_0358.JPEG

IMG_0368.JPEG

test1
usergbJlCp71QV
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

what I dont get is the problem with the drain icing up has been going on FOREVER in these french door refridgerators (just look on you tube for how many videos there are about it) yet Samsung continues to make it the same way!!!!!!!!!! (not the same issue as the screw hole thing. cant wait to have to fix that someday