cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjFromFL
Asteroid

Refrigerator RF261BEAEBC/AA - Icemaker Problem

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My 2.5 year old Samsung refrigerator icemaker stopped dropping ice.  The tray fills but the ice will not automatically drop.  We replaced the icemaker module but it did not help.  If the reset button is manually pressed, the motor starts, the ice drops and the tray refills.  The temperature is set at 2 degrees and the water filter was replaced.  The ice is perfectly shaped when it drops with the reset button.  What is my next step?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Refrigerator RF261BEAEBC/AA - Icemaker Problem

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you verify that the ICE off light is not turned on? When ice only drops from the ice make if test switch/button on the ice maker is pressed, verify that the Ice Off icon is not illuminated on the display panel. When the Ice Off icon is illuminated, the ice maker is turned off. However, when pressing the test button, the ice maker will continue to harvest any ice that is in its ice tray.

If Ice Off is not enabled, but the ice maker still does not produce ice unless the test/reset button is pressed, test unplugging the unit for 1-2 minutes. If still no change, then repairs are recommended. 

You are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. --> http://bit.ly/2igAXKH

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

184 REPLIES 184
cjFromFL
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Still looking for any ideas on what to check next.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you verify that the ICE off light is not turned on? When ice only drops from the ice make if test switch/button on the ice maker is pressed, verify that the Ice Off icon is not illuminated on the display panel. When the Ice Off icon is illuminated, the ice maker is turned off. However, when pressing the test button, the ice maker will continue to harvest any ice that is in its ice tray.

If Ice Off is not enabled, but the ice maker still does not produce ice unless the test/reset button is pressed, test unplugging the unit for 1-2 minutes. If still no change, then repairs are recommended. 

You are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. --> http://bit.ly/2igAXKH

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

cjFromFL
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you.  I did see the ice-off button was indeed in the on position.  My SO did not keep the button off long enough before he declared the new module did not work and turned the ice-off back on.  Once it was off for > 12 hours, it started working with the new module.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That is good. Are you having any other issues?

GregC
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I too am having issues with my ice maker not producing ice. It appears that many in this forum have not received a satisfactory answer. If someone has and the solution worked, please share. I chatted with a Samsung rep and there isn't anything they can do or offer. It seems like this is a big issue but it apparently hasn't been a big enough issue for Samsung to take action. Anyone else feel like I do?
userm29Ojc885a
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No luck here - I have had no success with numerous calls to Samsung and even replacing the entire ice maker.  I spoke to an appliance repair shop, and even they were stumped by all the steps I have taken and were at least kind enough not to come out and charge me a fee to come up empty.  I am, begrudgingly, at the point where I am likely to buy a new regridgerator....I can guarantee you one thing, it wont be a Samsung. 

ccjoshi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We have had many issues since I last posted our icemaker issues on the Samsung Community Support site.  We had a repair person come out two weeks ago to service the issue with our refrigerator slowing down in making ice as well as causing water and ice pooling below the deli drawer.  We also had ice build up again under the icemaker.  

The tech took off the back of the inside of the refridge where there was a ton of ice build up.  He stated the ice build up was clogging up the hole where water would come through  He used a heat device to melt the ice.  After doing so he found a piece that was positioned incorrectly which should have been warming some element to prevent clogging.  We had never had this serviced before so received our refrigerator with the piece misplaced.  The tech moved the piece so that it would now be in the correct placement to heat the water flow I believe and alleviate clogging. 

We also were told by the tech to replace the water filter as our water was slow and it could possibly be causing part of the issue of leaking water under the deli drawer.  We replaced the filter the same day with a new Samsung water filter.

About a week later our refrigerator was making an odd sound after closing the door.  It was getting louder and louder.  We are also still having water pool under the deli drawer and now even into the back of the deli drawer.    If you want to hear the sound it was making you can view it at this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8sItlj5_lPkaF9mMU1MbF9YV28/view?usp=sharing

I called the repair company and told them the issues we have had since the repair two weeks ago and the tech is coming out again today.  Since I called in the issue two days ago the sound has ironically gone away.  Will post what the tech finds today after the visit.

It is amazing to me that Samsung has not recalled this model of refrigerator.  The number of issues and the amount of money spent on service repairs and spoiled food due to an unregulated refrigerator is a crime in itself.  Samsung should be taking some major action or else be prepared for a class action lawsuit.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you happen to have any transaction numbers for the repairs?

ccjoshi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is a follow up from my post three weeks ago.  The technician came back a few days after his service call to look at the issue of the loud sound along with the water pooling under the bottom drawer.  Issue was all related to the ice maker...again.  Technician we had was extremely good with 30+ year of appliance repair and works for one of the 15 Samsung-certified repair service companies in the U.S.  (so needless to say has seen his share of issues).  

He felt bad that there was still an issue and blamed himself for not resolving the issue.  I told him his was work great and it is definitely a faulty appliance.  He claimed the issue was the ice maker didn't have a good seal around it so warmer air gets into the ice maker area causing frost/ice build up which comprises the ice maker to function properly.  It also causes water to drip from the icemaker down to the bottom of the fridge as well as making the fridge temperature fluctuate.  Makes complete sense to me and he spent a long time sealing around the icemaker both inside and outside to keep the cold air in the icemaker area.  He didn't charge us for the service visit as he claimed he should have done the job right the first time.  

Guess what, after all of the sealing he did we still have water pooling in our fresh drawer and the bottom of the fridge.  We also have ice building up again in the ice compartment.  SO FRUSTRATED WITH SAMSUNG!!!  Samsung has got to recall this product.  I will be calling the service company yet again.

To the Samsung CEO, stop cowering behind the lame customer service reps that don't have the solution as there is no solution for the faulty product.  Give us a refund!