cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Astronaut

Refrigerator RF4289HARS - No apps work anymore!

For several years now, the apps on my 2012 RF4289HARS refrigerator have stopped working, one by one.  Despite being successfully connected to wifi, every app I try to open (Google calendar, Pandora, Twitter, Weatherbug, AP News) says "Server Disconnected" and will not open.

Samsung says there are no updates for the software, but there has not been an update in years, and the individual app companies say that they are no longer compatible with the Samsung firmware.  So now I have a digital "Smart" panel that is essentially useless.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Refrigerator RF4289HARS - No apps work anymore!

Write a letter to the BBB.  I'm going to. That was the selling point for that fridge.

Highlighted
Constellation

Completely UNACCEPTABLE.  Agree, the apps have all stopped working except for google calendar and pandora.  Why can't Samsung send a patch to correct this! Looks like I am not the only one... will be hard pressed to buy anoth one when I move into my new house next year. If samsung said they couldn't support it after X date, at least they would have been upfront.  Sounds like they are hidding and telling eveyone to call the developer.  

SAMSUNG:  WHATS YOUR RESPONSE!

Highlighted
Constellation

Samsung no longer supports older electronics. I had a Galaxy Tab and was trying to update it and contacted them and they basically said to either deal with what I had or purchase a new Tab. So like the OP I ended up with a Samsung brick

Highlighted
Constellation

I am also down to Pandora.  What false adveritsing! Will report to the BBB as well.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same.  My fancy fridge has been demoted into a piece of junk with one working app. It will be the last sumsung purchased and I pray for class action.   They need to realize that purchasers of this model were/are early adopters.  We are buying high end products with features that others won't integrate into their lives for many years later.   We are the wrong group to mistreat because our significantly higher buying power is lost easily and we are influencers that sabotage every sale we can by spreading the word.   I've bought truckloads between my real estate and business.  Now they lose all of that business too.   

Highlighted
Constellation

Im dissapointed also.  Today my fridge said there was an update and in the back of my mind I was saying to myself "watch them just remove all the broken apps" and sure enough they did.  They should at least release the o/s for home brew community apps. i would never trust them again for this stuff.  I paid amost 4k for this fridge and it was not because of the ice maker or middle drawer. Weak.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Yep.. sure enough wiped them all out except the junk that wasn't necessary.. now that screen isn't worth much.. horrible... come on Samsung - fix this and give us the apps back.  Don't play the Apple game just because you don't want to fix the apps.. we shouldn't have to change a perfectly working fridge because you decided to kill off the apps.

Highlighted
Constellation

Slowly over the years apps have stopped working and no update on mine since 2012. It became more obvious when the news articles stopped updating. This is crazy because tihs is the main selling point of buying this fridge versus a normal one having the apps.... this is crazy and most likely just involves a simple app or firmware update to update the apps servers they get content from or to fix why they can't connect anymore...

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yep - and reading this forum samsung just keep closing all threads as "Solved" with the answer being... "we cant speculate on an update".

This is the problem with posting issues on the manufacturers forum in my opinion. 

As a Brand Name manufacturer, updates should come frequently in order to keep internet connected devices secure. 

Without frequent updates, you cant trust it to be secure.

Further you cannot ensure it will remain supported with 3rd parties, and so, you dont have a smart fridge, you have instant regret!