cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Refrigerator and Freezer temp wrong so not cooling enough

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung refrigerator model number RF263TEAESG/AA. It is the french door with the cool pantry inside the French doors and one drawer for the freezer. It's not the temperature it says it is in EITHER compartment. The screen will read -8 and 34, but after unplugging the refrigerator 2 minutes it will give a more accurate reading when first plugged back in. It has read as high as 42 and 51. It will eventually get back to -8 and 34 on the screen, but not inside. Popsicles in the freezer are still liquid. It seems colder than it was a few days ago after I have unplugged and plugged it back up several times. It read 28 and 42 the last time I plugged it back up, but still needs to be colder. I've just been going through a routine of unplugging it all the time to get the temp to start over in case it is a problem with some sort of sensor. I know certain things like the compressor are still covered and I'll definitely set up service if that is the case. I just don't want it to end up being a $10 part that isn't covered that I will end up paying $200 to have replaced. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm just not sure what would affect the temperature readings in BOTH compartments. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Refrigerator and Freezer temp wrong so not cooling enough

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Give this link a shot: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001027/ If this does not help I recommend letting a service technician have a look. Send your full model code and serial number via private message or call 1-800-SAMSUNG directly to get started.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We have the same issue with our refrigerator that also has same configuration with french doors and the freezer compartment on the bottom left.  When we turn the unit off and on it will initially say the correct temperature and then it wont and then you think the temp is going down like it says on the panel but nothing is freezing and the temperature readout is obviously incorrect.  We even called samsung support and went through a routine with them of pressing and holding three buttons to get another type of reset, only to have the same thing occur.  We thought maybe it was due to the freezer not being used for a number of days, but we have no idea.  If anyone has any solutions we would like to know.  A bunch of stuff has gone bad in the freezer and we have had other issues with this unit including the icemaker freezing over and not producing ice...  Please help with any advice to solve the freezer not freezing... we really rely upon this refrigerator...

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can be many things , dropping, broken screen , and water damage. Can cause battery problems.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Give this link a shot: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001027/ If this does not help I recommend letting a service technician have a look. Send your full model code and serial number via private message or call 1-800-SAMSUNG directly to get started.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello Samsung, 

I have the same issue and I followed the link that was provided.

I am surprised at the link.  

Did Samsung not read the problem?   The link that was provided has no relevance to the problem.

Let me restate the issue:

1.  The display for the freezer temperture is reporting 0F (which is the same as the set temperature).

2.  But the content is the freezer is not frozen as ice cream is all melted -- a thermometer inside the freezer is reading around 20F.

3. When I unplug the freezer, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in, --> The display for the freezer temperture is NOW reporting 25F (which is the NOT the same as the set temperature of 0F).

4.  The freezer will start to get colder and and the display temperature will start to go down as well.

5. At some point, the display will magically show 0F again even though the freezer is NOT at 0F.

6.  And if I unplug and plug it back in (even after waiting 30 seconds),  the entire process will repeat... with the freezer NOT "freezing".

Here is what I have done to try to fix this:

1. Replaced the freezer thermometer and this did not fix it.

2. Cleaned the condenser coil area and this did not fix it.

3. I ran Self-diagnostic function and this did not show any issues.

4. I set the Option setting for the freezer at "7" which means that the freezer compartment standard temperature should have been -7F below set temperature of 0F. This did not help to lower the freezer temperature.

My hypothesis:

I suspect that the control board is bad as it cannot control the freezer temperature to the set point. 

I also suspect that there is a bug in the firmware.  When the controller cannot get  to the set temperature after a certain number of retries or duration of time it retries, firmware just gives up and wrongly displays the freezer is at the target temperature.  The bug in the firmware is  overcome when the refrigerator is unplugged-then-plugged (power cycled) -- this allows the firmware to refresh (start from the beginning) and correctly read the thermostat and display the actual values of 25F.

Samsung: Please read carefully and tell us the real solution to the problem that has been going on since 2012!  

https://www.fixya.com/support/t13989940-samsung_refrigerator_shows_incorrect

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a similar issue with my RF23M8070SG (4-Door French Door Refrigerator with Flex Drawer). The temperature shown for the refrigerator is correct (38 degrees), but the freezer shows -10 degrees. And everything has begun to thaw. I placed a separate temperature sensor in the freezer section and the temperature throughout the day varied from about 30 degrees to 14 degrees. 

I also found that if I unplugged the fridge and plugged it in again that the freezer temperature display would show an accurate temperature for a while and cooling would start again for an hour or two. But then the temperature would display -10 degrees again and start warming up. The refrigerator is just over 1 year old. 

If I find a solution I'll be sure to update my post.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having exactly the same problem with model RL42HGSW. Please, keep us notified hopefully before I have to go to a technician to fix it.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same isssue and this is what I replied to Samsung's "solution".

Hello Samsung, 

I have the same issue and I followed the link that was provided.

I am surprised at the link.  

Did Samsung not read the problem?   The link that was provided has no relevance to the problem.

Let me restate the issue:

1.  The display for the freezer temperture is reporting 0F (which is the same as the set temperature).

2.  But the content is the freezer is not frozen as ice cream is all melted -- a thermometer inside the freezer is reading around 20F.

3. When I unplug the freezer, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in, --> The display for the freezer temperture is NOW reporting 25F (which is the NOT the same as the set temperature of 0F).

4.  The freezer will start to get colder and and the display temperature will start to go down as well.

5. At some point, the display will magically show 0F again even though the freezer is NOT at FC.

6.  And if I unplug and plug it back in (even after waiting 30 seconds),  the entire process will repeat... with the freezer NOT "freezing".

Here is what I have done to try to fix this:

1. Replaced the freezer thermometer and this did not fix it.

2. Cleaned the condenser coil area and this did not fix it.

3. I ran Self-diagnostic function and this did not show any issues.

4. I set the Option setting for the freezer at "7" which means that the freezer compartment standard temperature should have been -7F below set temperature of 0F. This did not help to lower the freezer temperature.

My hypothesis:

I suspect that the control board is bad as it cannot control the freezer temperature to the set point. 

I also suspect that there is a bug in the firmware.  When the controller cannot get  to the set temperature after a certain number of retries or duration of time it retries, firmware just gives up and wrongly displays the freezer is at the target temperature.  The bug in the firmware is  overcome when the refrigerator is unplugged-then-plugged (power cycled) -- this allows the firmware to refresh (start from the beginning) and correctly read the thermostat and display the actual values of 25F.

Samsung: Please read carefully and tell us the real solution to the problem that has been going on since 2012!  

https://www.fixya.com/support/t13989940-samsung_refrigerator_shows_incorrect