cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Refrigerator - ice in evaporator

I purchased a Samsung refrigerator RF30HBEDBSR on 2/7/2015.  On 3/1/2020 the refrigerator was not cooling and since it was out of warranty, I called a local appliance repair to take a look right away.  After my description of the problem, he knew what was going on and proceeded to replace the drain tubes and thermal sensor.  He also defrosted the evaporator which was totally covered in ice.  This cost me $300. 

The problem came back and the repairman returned on 3/20 to again defrost the evaporator and also replaced the heater element.  This cost me another $112. 

By 3/30, the fan was noisy again and the repairman came again.  I also called Samsung service to see if they had any other suggestions after the repairman again defrosted the evaporator.  They told me to set the temperatures to -4 freezer and 34 refrigerator and that would solve the problem.

By 4/26, the refrigerator was not operational again.  This time I defrosted the unit myself as the repairman was out of ideas for what could be wrong.  After defrosting again, I purchased a replacement evaporator back panel since I noticed there was water absorbed into the styrofoam backing which I thought might have been causing the heavy ice buildup.  This was another $130.

I replaced that unit myself on 5/10, and since then I have had to defrost the evaporator panel about every 10 days.  The new back panel did not solve the icing of the evaporator, however, the fan no longer gets any ice buildup.

I believe this problem originates with the evaporator system, and should have been covered under the 5-year warranty on the “Sealed refrigeration system” which includes the Compressor, evaporator, condenser, drier, connecting tubing.

I have since set up an appointment with Samsung service company Service Quick after MANY phone calls due to various problems with their computer system and overall system overload.  They want to charge me to come out because my refrigerator is out of warranty.  I would contend that the problem was a warranty-covered problem, however, my ignorance about what the problem was led me to believe it was not covered.  I learned a lot more about how refrigerators work, and since the problem reached critical failure by March 2, I would contend the problem started a few weeks prior, which would put it in the 5-year window.

A major appliance should last longer than five years.  I replaced a perfectly functional 20-year old Kitchenaid with this refrigerator thinking I would not have to give it a second thought for at least 20 years.  Apparently the quality standards for appliances have really plunged, because I have since been told that the average life span is 7 years.  What a sad testament to “progress” that we could make washers and dryers that lasted 30 years, and refrigerators that lasted 20+ back in the 80’s, but today they don’t even make it 5 years.

As an environmentally conscious person, I hate to just put this appliance in the landfill.  However, after spending $500 on this refrigerator repair that should have been covered by warranty, I resent having to spend even more just to have a Samsung repair come out again.  This will be $140 and no guarantee it will be repairable, especially because they don’t consider it “under warranty”.  Note, I also had to buy a new ice bucket $150 because our was cracked after years of getting stuck and pulling in and out.

Samsung, please consider the major impact on the environment from avoidable waste, and this is a prime example.  It may be more energy efficient than my old unit, but in the overall scheme, it costs so much more.

Please note, the freezer has worked fine, the cooling “works” until the evaporator clogs with ice.  It is a shame to throw away because it is otherwise functional.  The ice maker has never been great and clogs every few days, but I would never replace the unit just for that.  However, if it can’t keep my food cold without emptying and defrosting every two weeks, it’s landfill.  I have had an ice chest in my living room for three months now because of my stubborn refusal to believe this couldn’t be fixed.  Is there any hope here?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Refrigerator - ice in evaporator

I have the same issue with my RS25H5111SR/AA refrigerator! The previous comment is almost identical to my experience. We started having problems just before the warranty expired but I also didn't understand the problem. The Samsung technician didn't even take it apart. He saw a little ice behind the panel said he could replace the evaporator system but it would cost around $700. He said that I shouldn't do it though because it was a bad design and I should just buy another refrigerator. I also took off the cover to circuit boards in the back and could smell overheating or burnt components. It's probably the driver circuit for the frozen fan. I see there is a wiring diagram but I can't find a schematic or parts yet. Maybe after the first time that circuit board and/or the fan needs to be replaced?! The only positive thing about this problem is that it now gets cleaned regularly... Ugh!

Highlighted
Constellation

You definitely have more patience than I do.  After yet another Friday night spent defrosting my refrigerator, I finally gave up last week.  I bought a new one (LG), which I expect will also have problems based on everything I read.  Too bad I couldn't give you my evaporator panel...it was brand new, plus ice bucket, but it was all hauled away.  Such a waste.  I hope they have improved the design in newer versions, but am not about to buy another Samsung refrigerator ever.  Good luck with your circuit board repair I hope you get a few more years out of it.

Highlighted
Constellation

Dear user IShicaly,   The short answer to your last question is NO THERE

IS NO HOPE WITH this or any other  SAMSUNG REFRIGERATOR.  I have a 6 year old

Samsung  model RFG297HDRS.  I've  had nothing but problems with it from the beginning.   6 months after  it was installed,   the  famous ice maker from hades

started acting up.   It kept making ice even though the bin was full. So I shut it off

periodically so it would stop making ice.    I did this a few time then one day it would NEVER come back on again.   By this time  the one year warranty expired.   Two days after  the warranty expired I called Samsung  customer  service for help in getting  the ice maker restarted.   NOTHING they suggested  worked.  Hitting  the rest button,    unplugging and then plugging in again etc.  They would NOT consider fixing it under their warranty.   I have  NOT called  a repairman  and am just making  ice the old fashioned way, with ice cube trays. I am so upset that I just refuse to put another dime into  this mistake.  Had I seen  all of these complaints regarding Samsung appliances,  I certainly  would NOT have bought  this  worhtless excuse for a refrigerator.    A recent  internet  search regarding Samsung refigerators shows  that  there is a CLASS ACTION law suit pending against SAMSUNG for this very issue.  I e-mailed  the attorney to see if I can still file a claim, but have not heard back. 

Bottom line- STAY AWAY FROM ALL SAMSUNG APPLIANCES.  They are junk and they don't stand behind their product.    Their TV's & phones appear to be OK.