cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Refrigerator noises & ice maker issues

I have two separate issues occuring on a Samsung RF28HMEDBSR/AA refrigerator...French doors with built in water & ice dispenser and is less than two years old.  I'm trying here first because I've read that Samsung support is generally unhelpful in troubleshooting.

Several months ago, we tried to get the ice container out so we could empty the ice into a cooler.  It seems that the container is stuck/frozen and we've not been able to get it removed, short of unplugging it and losing everything.  I've tried using a hair dryer to blow hot air in there, using force defrost from the control panel, etc.  I've also noticed that no matter what setting, we only get crushed ice.  Any ideas on how to remove this without breaking anything?  I can certainly tug and pull and pry but I don't want to cause any damage by doing so. 

Secondly, we've noticed a rapid tapping/knocking/clicking sound that seems to be coming from the right side or maybe back right side of the refrigerator.  Everything seems to be functioning correctly (except for the ice maker issue) so we don't know if something is on the verge of going out.  Any ideas what this could be and if we should be worried?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Refrigerator noises & ice maker issues

How often are you hearing that sound?  Is it continual or does it stop?  Do you hear it when you open the doors of the unit?  Also could you provide the serial number?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

The serial number is 065L43BK905851V.

We typically hear it a couple of times per week.  It starts and then lasts for a second or two.  Sometimes it might repeat for a second time, but most times, it happens just once.  Oddly, it seems to only happen in the mid-morning to lunch time frame.  We've never heard the sound when the doors have been open.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

The ice maker is something that I can have repaired for you.  Has the water filter been changed recently?  Are you hearing the noise while getting water by any chance?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

It has not been recent that the water filter was changed.  We're probably midway through the life of the current filter.  We've never heard the noise while getting water.

Ok, on the ice maker.  Does this involve a service tech coming to the house or a fix that we make ourselves?  If a service tech, then is there a repair charge for this or would the refrigerator still be under warranty?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

A technician would be coming to the home for the ice maker and we would be covering the repair.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

Ok, what do we need to do in order to setup a technician visit?  Will they be able to check on other items to see if they can determine the source of the tapping/clicking noise?

Highlighted
Astronaut

We have had our unit RF4287HARS since April of 2013. Samsung has been to our home numerous times to repair (for a fee and service charge) due to loud noises, frozen behind the twin cooling unit and not making ice. The last time they came out, the technician said there were about 6 malfunctioning issues with it and did not make any repairs. A few days later, we were offered $600 credit. We paid $2700 for it and have spent almost $1000 on repairs and service fees on seven year old fridge.

Do NOT open the left door before the right door, as this fractures the magnetic seal. Room air is sucked into the unit, causing it to freeze up. We never found out the issue with the ice maker, but we paid a fee to have it repaired.

As of today, the 6 issues were not resolved. Most appliance repair companies refuse to repair them due to a current class action lawsuit (my model not included). So, unless Samsung makes the repairs, we're stuck with it and it still isn't functioning properly. 😡