cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

Refrigerator too warm (46 and rising) AND freezer too cold (-12??) after unplugging- RF260BEAESR

I keep wireless temperature sensors in my refrigerator and freezer to warm me if they ever get too warm for any reason. Other than the freezer getting too warm during the defrost cycle every 24 hours (goes up to 19F during defrost), I've never had an alert.

I unplugged the refrigerator last night to clean behind it. I only slid it forward, it did not tip over or change angle. It was unplugged for about a minute. After I plugged it back in the temperature sensors started showing somethingunusual. Within a few hours the fridge was too warm (low 40s last night, low to mid 40s on and off today, and now 46F tonight) and the freezer was insanely cold (bounces between -12 and lower... I didn't think this freezer could even get that cold!). The temperature settings are 37F and 0F respectively and according to the data I've collected over the last year, both compartments kept those temperatures pretty steadily in the past. I even replaced the temperature sensors hoping that they were faulty. They were not. 

The fridge is cooling occasionally, just not as well as it should. Tonight it got up to 46 before it began cooling, and then it only cooled down to 39 before it quit. Also I have noticed that when the fridge does cool, the freezer gets warmer (up to-11 or so) and when the freezer cools, the fridge goes warmer. 

I have given it 24 hours to resolve itself thinking maybe the machine had to cycle through something as it powered back on but I'm afraid for the food in my fridge if it stays this warm. 

No Power Freeze or Power Cool functions are enabled. The unit is more than two inches from the wall and not in direct sunlight. The seals are clean and flush with the doors. There is no dust or debris buildup on the back. Both fridge and freezer are more than 1/2 full and all food is 2 or more inches away from the vents. The unit is less than 16 months old. 

5 REPLIES 5
Astronaut

Re: Refrigerator too warm (46 and rising) AND freezer too cold (-12??) after u..

That sounds horrible your refrigerator not working properly.
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Refrigerator too warm (46 and rising) AND freezer too cold (-12??) after unplugging- RF260BEAESR

Do you recall seeing any error messages on the display after plugging the fridge back in?  Could you send me a private message with your serial number as well?  http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Re: Refrigerator too warm (46 and rising) AND freezer too cold (-12??) after unplugging- RF260BEAESR

No error codes of any kind. I can still DM you the serial if you like but I may have found the solution a few days ago. I just wanted to wait a few more days to see if the machine stays fixed. If it keeps correct temperature for a week, I'll call it Solved.

On another appliance forum someone had a similar issue and resolved it by unplugging again for a much longer period. The explanation had to do with the compressor cutting off suddenly and then firing up again before it could equalize pressure(?). (for the record, I made sure the refridgerator was not running when I unplugged it the first time. I even put my ear against the unit and my hand on the back to hear/feel for any vibrations. it was totally quiet.). Anyway, I unplugged it again for 15 mins and then plugged back in.

For about 18 hours it seems like it hadn't worked. Warm fridge, super freezing freezer. BUT after 18 hours the temp in the freezer started rising to 0 and the fridge temp lowered to well below 37. The last few days the fridge (set to 37) has been averaging 35 degrees. I'll keep monotioring to see what happens over time. The freezer is keeping temp right at 0 now, but there has been one change. Before, the defrost used to kick on every 24 hours (around 7pm). Now it kicks on every 12 hours, around 2am and 2pm. It's not a big deal, just something I've noticed. 

Fingers crossed that it's fixed, but I'll update in a few days. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

That's good to hear.  If for some reason it starts acting up again, don't hesitate to send me a PM.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

And it's acting up again. Very frustrated.