cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user8GhlrOSKei
Asteroid

Refrigerator water dispenser will not work when a filter is installed

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When time came to change the filter i wanted to first learn about the system by finding out where the filter was and how to remove it and install a replacement. I removed the filter that was in the refrigerator, then re-installed it, and no longer would water dispense.

Thinking that it might somehow sense that i simply reinserted the old one, i bought a compatible filter and installed that. Still no water. Then i reinstalled the original - no water. Then i tried several more times  no water. Then i let it run for about half a day without a filter.

When i re-installed a filter, water ran. Then after a day or so it stopped dispensing water again. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times,  and once again i had water.

I went out and bought another compatible filter from Home Depot and brought it home in case the refrigerator stopped dispensing water again, which happened today. I removed the original filter and installed the Home Depot filter. No water. I tried several times. No water. I tried the original filter several times. No water. After an hour or so i put back in one of the compatible filters and we had water, at least for now.

Water runs strong from the dispenser when the filter is removed. When i re-install a filter (any one), the water usually quickly sows down and stops flowing altogether. I can hear a soft hum when i push back on the dispenser switch paddle (the structure one pushes a glass against to make water dispense).

I no longer believe it is any problem with the filter, but highly suspect a compnent within the refrigerator. If of any help, it is Model: RS261MDBP

Anyone out there know what i need to address? I can handle most repairs myself provided i don't have to mess with refrigerant lines and components!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
user8GhlrOSKei
Asteroid

Re: Refrigerator water dispenser will not work when a filter is installed

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I regret i am forced to now believe that this board is a waste of time, except the fact that i might be able to help you.

After giving my original post a few days for a response (heck, ANY response), i started researching everything i could find and looked for a "blow up" of the system to see if i could figure it out. What i found was rather disappointing in that the fault comes down to the connector that the filter plugs into.

The issue is repeatedly fixed by replacing the "water filter housing unit". Given the number of cases that replacing this component fixes, i believe that the connector that the filter locks into is a cheaply made piece of trash; an issue which Samsung chooses to ignore.

Now, to fix things-

Have a look at this website and this webpage (it is the #3 item) and most important,

Watch this video

I will probably first try to fix the actual fitting inside the housing myself. If i can't do that, i will get a new housing - i am trying to avoid that as the fitting will likely fail in the future as did the present one. Though i easily found them for less than the $122 that the company at the above links charges (roughly $98 at another source, but in neither case have i yet taken into consideration shipping), i will try to patronize the site with the fix to support their solving the issue for me (provided ther are no significant "unpleasant surprises" when i do check shipping costs out).

Though i am seriously thinking of replacing my iPhone with a Samsung (When it came out that Apple intentionally spiked phones with weakening batteries to try to promote upgrades, and is trying to cripple phones when users fix them themselves, i lost all trust in them and am repulsed by their bad faith unethical operations), i won't touch anymore Samsung appliances as we also have a Samsung microwave that is rather young and has a relay failing (to make it work right again we had to open the panel up and smack one of the relays as it had stuck so whenever you closed the door the microwave would turn on, another case of cheap, poorly made components).

By the way, i have been warned away from any new GE appliances (anything manufactured since 2016) by repair people. We had a great GE Dishwasher several years ago. When we had to replace the one we have now (moved in the meantime) we found GE sold their appliance division to either a Korean or Chinese firm. Not to say that either of those countries do not have outstanding manufacturers, but the one that bought GE Appliances, in point, has developed a horrid reputation, regardless of what Consumer Reports writes. I just installed a MAYTAG model (manufactured by Whirlpool) and it is impressive!!!

Best of all and a Blessed Easter,

-Bruce

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
usere4N3TZocym
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I am having the same problem. I know the water ls working because it is still making ice. It's odd, we get Ice, but no water. We called Sears because we had warranty on it, but it just expired and they want us to renew it for 1yr for $600. I love my fridge and everything else in my home is Samsung, but Its driving me nuts that I can't the fridge to dispense water. I hope someone can help here,
user8GhlrOSKei
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I regret i am forced to now believe that this board is a waste of time, except the fact that i might be able to help you.

After giving my original post a few days for a response (heck, ANY response), i started researching everything i could find and looked for a "blow up" of the system to see if i could figure it out. What i found was rather disappointing in that the fault comes down to the connector that the filter plugs into.

The issue is repeatedly fixed by replacing the "water filter housing unit". Given the number of cases that replacing this component fixes, i believe that the connector that the filter locks into is a cheaply made piece of trash; an issue which Samsung chooses to ignore.

Now, to fix things-

Have a look at this website and this webpage (it is the #3 item) and most important,

Watch this video

I will probably first try to fix the actual fitting inside the housing myself. If i can't do that, i will get a new housing - i am trying to avoid that as the fitting will likely fail in the future as did the present one. Though i easily found them for less than the $122 that the company at the above links charges (roughly $98 at another source, but in neither case have i yet taken into consideration shipping), i will try to patronize the site with the fix to support their solving the issue for me (provided ther are no significant "unpleasant surprises" when i do check shipping costs out).

Though i am seriously thinking of replacing my iPhone with a Samsung (When it came out that Apple intentionally spiked phones with weakening batteries to try to promote upgrades, and is trying to cripple phones when users fix them themselves, i lost all trust in them and am repulsed by their bad faith unethical operations), i won't touch anymore Samsung appliances as we also have a Samsung microwave that is rather young and has a relay failing (to make it work right again we had to open the panel up and smack one of the relays as it had stuck so whenever you closed the door the microwave would turn on, another case of cheap, poorly made components).

By the way, i have been warned away from any new GE appliances (anything manufactured since 2016) by repair people. We had a great GE Dishwasher several years ago. When we had to replace the one we have now (moved in the meantime) we found GE sold their appliance division to either a Korean or Chinese firm. Not to say that either of those countries do not have outstanding manufacturers, but the one that bought GE Appliances, in point, has developed a horrid reputation, regardless of what Consumer Reports writes. I just installed a MAYTAG model (manufactured by Whirlpool) and it is impressive!!!

Best of all and a Blessed Easter,

-Bruce

View solution in original post

usere4N3TZocym
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I think your are correct Bruce. I have been searching for help for months. After reading many different post and watching many different videos on similar Samsung refrigerators, I have tried pretty much everything from lowering the temp, checking the lines, new filters, to loosening the filter. Then I heard of a faulty sensor on the door that would stop the water from dispensing, but that went out the door because then I wouldn't be dispensing Ice. I did come across the "water filter housing unit" where the filter makes contact, but again, it has been hard trying to find how to fix it or if it is something I can fix. (Samsung forum really not helping) After your post, I pulled my filter out and emptied it. I heard it fill up again with water... still no water dispensing. I realized what you said made perfect sense. I appreciate your help. I'll definitely look at these sites. Maybe since these parts are made so cheaply, I can find them less expensive somewhere else, since I will eventually have to replace again. Unlike my 35 yr old GE fridge in the garage without problems. Hope you have a Blessed Easter, Susie
userqcjucgZDlZ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bruce,

I am having the exact same issue. Did you solve the problem with your repair? Have you discovered anything new since this post?

Brent

user8GhlrOSKei
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I really wish i could state that i have done the repair as i am real tired of resetting this stupid thing, but i have not. On the other hand, i have found something new-

I am almost certain that the fault is with some sort of pressure sensor in the valve in the water filter housing, or with the valve's response to pressure. I have found that if i remove the filter, wait a good 12 or more hours, throw on the highest flowing outside garden sprinklers and turn the kitchen faucet on (you should be laughing at this point), then put the filter back in, it works. I can "even" slowly shut off the kitchen faucet while getting filtered water and not have the cheaply manufactured thing shut off on me. I state that because there have been times that i either shut the faucet off abruptly or the sprinklers shut off and the filtered water was cut off (i could hear the valve shutting it off inside the refrigerator), and sometimes it would keep flowing.

I threw all that extra detail in as it supports the notion that the valve assembly has a response to pressure that is at fault, coming very close to definitively isolating it as the problem. I just have had too much "life" being thrown at me at present to go after it, though it is as annoying as mosquitoes on a hot & humid evening. Hmmmm, that would make an interesting advertising tag line, "Samsung, as enjoyable as mosquitoes on a hot & humid evening."...