cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

SOLVED: DW80J3020UW Dishwasher latch not latching

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had pulled the dishwasher out to investigate a "leak" error(blinking "Heavy" light), but ended up only needing to air dry. Seems the leak sensor was detecting condensation or something.

After reinstalling, the door was leaking and not closing fully. I noticed the door latch was not actually latching during the cycle, and I can see the spring assembly inside the door latch.

I'd rather simply reset this part rather than unnecessarily replace it for $90 since it's not actually broken. Is there a way I can reset the door latch so it closes properly?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: DW80J3020UW Dishwasher latch not latching

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, Samsung "support" didn't give much of an answer to this. The part is very possible to fix yourself if you have a little time.

My father-in-law and I ended up removing the latch and fixing/resetting the plastic part that wasn't latching. The spring had over-pulled the plastic part so it was stuck in the wrong position, effectively telling the machine that the door was closed.

For anyone else trying to fix this themselves, the spring is pretty strong, so make sure the plastic latch part is fully open/extended to get the spring hooked between the latch and the loose bar. Then it's a matter of rotating the plastic latch to the closed position without breaking it—a challenge, but definitely possible.

Hope this helps someone else trying to avoid paying a repairman for this simple part as well. Good luck!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend letting a service technician have a look. Send your full model code and serial number via private message or call 1-800-SAMSUNG directly to get started.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, Samsung "support" didn't give much of an answer to this. The part is very possible to fix yourself if you have a little time.

My father-in-law and I ended up removing the latch and fixing/resetting the plastic part that wasn't latching. The spring had over-pulled the plastic part so it was stuck in the wrong position, effectively telling the machine that the door was closed.

For anyone else trying to fix this themselves, the spring is pretty strong, so make sure the plastic latch part is fully open/extended to get the spring hooked between the latch and the loose bar. Then it's a matter of rotating the plastic latch to the closed position without breaking it—a challenge, but definitely possible.

Hope this helps someone else trying to avoid paying a repairman for this simple part as well. Good luck!

View solution in original post