Original topic:

Samsung Family Hub Refrigerators

(Topic created: 08-23-2021 12:08 PM)
Jeffro3030
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Has anybody heard from Samsung about this terrible Tizen 6.0 update that stripped away all of the good reasons to own the Family Hub?

Does Samsung have any plans to give the features back to us inside of the SmartThings app?

I have seen the Samsung response saying that Tizen 6.0 is an improvement, but it is not. Will we ever get our functionality back?
8 Replies
JScottK70
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
I made a complaint to Samsung about the horrible Tizen 6.0 experience and they said they have received numerous complaints and be on the lookout for a new update. Then I received a 2nd email a couple of days later telling me how to setup the refrigerator in Smart things and work around some other lost features. I had already done what they suggested which didn't improve anything. So who knows what they are planning on doing. I wish I could roll the update back.
Jeffro3030
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Same here. I already know how to use my fridge in smart things, but we lost a ton of features. They need to bring it back or I will return it!
userf5A5rRX7Qr
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

You lost a lot more than 2 features.  Below is a response from who claimed to be a Samsung rep.  Smartthings can only control the temp and ice maker.....more like dumbthings.  

Good afternoon, I can certainly understand the concern for new changes. The release notes for the Family Hub Software 6.0 update shows improvements on performance and capability. Some changes you will notice are detailed below for you:
-Support for the Family Hub mobile app is being dropped, The SmartThings Mobile app will be the replacement, some feature restrictions will apply to memo/whiteboard/to-do/calendar functions.
-Home screen layouts will be changed, previous Family Board contents will be saved in the backup ablum of your gallery app
-Memo/Gallery widget is deleted, and memo/photo add function is provided with the menu button on the home screen.
-Animation, illustration, and family board themes have been deleted; default themes will reset to the Weather theme
-The clock style of the previously set cover screen is changed to the default clock style of each theme
-Voice ID function has been removed; Some speeches related to the Family Hub profile are no longer supported
-The notification status bar at the top has been removed
We appreciate any all feedback and would be happy to tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

TyJay83
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Same! We lost two key features and Ive only had the fridge 6 months. You can no longer move items from shopping list to fridge bc thats gone it no longer tells you when items are expiring. Thats a huge issue for me. I emailed my complaint and they just sent instructions on setting up fridge in smart things, which i obviously have already done to know those features are missing now 🙄 it only gives options to delete or move to another list, its useless. Screenshot_20210828-075642_SmartThings.jpg
Jeffro3030
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
I totally agree! We all want our features back!
userfetGqzfngF
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This is so terrible.. we are in the same boat. The fridge is useless. The things we use the fridge for the most -- having our app on our phones and sharing via the fridge -- most principally memos (eg when a parent is away they could post a 'good morning' on the fridge) and photos, which we so enjoyed updating. Can't add photos anymore with SmartThings.. you can only change your fridge temperature (who wants to do that from their phone?) and look inside (which is also kind of useless).. its just such a mess. and so unprofessional of Samsung to have downgraded the fridge so completely. Even their disclaimer doesn't make clear they were destroying the functionality of the device. Usually you give up some functions to get something, in this case it was an exchange of something for nothing. Fix it Samsung. please! 

usertjvIQ1nFsi
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The stupid update took away everything that was awesome about the fridge. I used so many of the Family Hub features, the main selling point of the fridge was how customizable Family Hub was. I used the **bleep** out of the shopping list. I didn't have to run home to find the paper that everyone wrote things on, I could just stop at the store and look at the list on the Family Hub app. Not anymore. If I can even get the shopping list to load it never has all the items that was added, and it will change the names of items when you do add them! If I wanted a fridge without all the Family Hub features I would have bought the cheaper fridge without them. Now I have a huge clock on my fridge since that's all it's good for anymore. I hate it and wish I could return the fridge if Samsung isn't going to actually replace Family Hub with something that has the same features. Fix it, Samsung! 

userib6z29cP4n
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Completely agree. This is the worst OS update since Vista. I used to use the Shopping List all the time and it was hugely useful - as soon as we ran out of ANYTHING, it'd go on the list and while at the shopping center, each item is crossed off.

Now when I try to use it, it tells me that I have to link it to SmartThings. That in itself is fine as I use ST for many home automation tasks - however I attempt to sign in and it tells me that I have no network connection.

Trust me Samsung, I have a network connection and it works perfectly.

So the ST app on my phone still shows all my automation tasks as it was entirely separate from the fridge. But since the fridge doesn't show up at all, nothing works.

I paid over $5,000 AUD (Australia) for this fridge and the shopping list and all the other useful features have now either been removed or show error messages.

Serious question to anyone from Samsung who may be reading this - was that OS update actually a "pre-alpha" release? It is so absolutely riddled with bugs and missing features that I honestly don't see this as a production release.

0 Likes