cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userasOUZqWPQD
Constellation

Samsung Ice Maker / internal fire warping of the component area and actual exterior of refrigerator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello and I appreciate the rapid response.

I would like to bring up a situation regarding the Samsung French Door Refrigerator Model #RF28HMEDBSR/AA serial number: [edit]we purchased around 4 years ago.

The Ice maker stopped making ice late last year and although it was an inconvenience to us and I should have reacted much sooner, I eventually brought it up to our home warranty people early this year. I was not going to go back to Samsung if I did not have to and thought that the Home warranty Policy which we had purchased long before would easily cover the needed repairs.

I contacted the Home Warranty representative and they dispatched a service tech to come out and look at the unit a week or so later. When they came out, they told my wife that we needed multiple replacement parts/items and that it would take a week or two to have the parts brought in. They stated that they would then make another appointment to come back for the install to get the Ice Maker back up and running. We were really happy that the Ice Maker would finally be back up and running and thought for the simple deductible, we would have a working unit soon.
They came back in a week or two but after they began to attempt to install the new parts, they had my wife look at the interior of the Ice Making unit. They told her that something inside had shorted out and actually caused a small fire that melted the entire interior section at the Ice Maker which they did not notice on the initial visit. This made absolute sense to me when I was updated by my wife because I had tremendous difficulty in pulling the refrigerator out from the cabinets and after I eventually was able to 1/4 inch it out from pulling it side to side for ½ hour, I then even went directly to Home Depot and rented a belt sander and took the upper left side of the cabinet down right where the Ice Maker was located. I had initially thought that my cabinets had warped in that actual area but after I came home and my wife told me that the repair tech told her the unit was now out of shape at the top corner sue to the overheating short circuit/small fire, I then measured the fridge itself and indeed the fridge has warped out over ½” at the top left corner right where the Ice Maker was located. The repair representative had also apparently instructed my wife that he thought the fridge was not safe to continue to use due to the overheating and past fire issue the unit had experienced. He stated out of all the Samsung Ice Maker repairs that he has made the past couple of years (which have been many), he has only seen one other unit that experienced this kind of overheating due to short circuit/fire actually warping of the interior compartment and entire outer box.

I went back and forth with the warranty company many times these last few months when they originally denied the claim and after speaking to the upper management, I have been told a final decision has been made and they will not replace the entire unit because the unit itself is now completely unrepairable due to the overheat and fire which caused the interior warping of the actual Ice Maker and mechanical component areas. According to them at least, this is not covered under my policy since the refrigerator itself in no longer considered repairable. We are still using the unit now but the Ice Maker is of course still not working (un-repairable) as well as all tempt and digital adjustments are blinking error codes which will not allow us to change any parameters any longer (temps - alarms - ect.).

Can a Samsung representative please get back to me with possible solutions to this problem? As I stated originally, we were a bit lazy in asking our Home warranty Policy to cover the needed repairs to the unit and thought us paying the deductible would not be an big issue but it now appears that the unit is possible unsafe to use and internal components cannot ever be replaced due to the severe warping from the excessive interior heat which happened when the Ice Maker broke down (pictures can easily be forwarded over if needed).

Thank you very much - we greatly appreciate your help.

Sincerely Yours,

John Herrera

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung Ice Maker / internal fire warping of the component area and actual exterior of refrig...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear about this. Please send any pictures of the damaged area to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung Ice Maker / internal fire warping of the component area and actual exterior of refrig...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear about this. Please send any pictures of the damaged area to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Samsung_rOG8s29
Astronaut

Re: Samsung Ice Maker / internal fire warping of the component area and actual..

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okidoki Gracias