cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CamaroMike
Asteroid

Samsung Model RF22KREDDBSR/AA Ice Maker Problems!

We bought this refrigerator about 16 months ago and I am glad about one thing... I bought an extended warranty. The ice maker in this model and perhaps many other Samsung refrigerators is a faulty design, and it seems no amount of fixes will alleviate the problems. It freezes up, ice cubes overflow to the sides, and because warm air is entering from the refrigerator, the ice forms into a large chunk and it jams up the unit.

We've already had the service guy out to diagnose the problem 6 months ago, and he decided that the new and improved ice maker was the solution so about 3 weeks later he returned and installed the new ice maker. He showed me that the new unit had a higher lip and that was supposed to stop the water from overflowing but it doesn't. The guy even knew that the warm air leaking into the ice Maker section was problematic and he used clear silicon to seal the outer box edges and that didn't seem to do too much. He said once a month I should defrost the unit that way nothing gets stuck. Turns out it freezes up in a matter of days.

Now we are faced with the motorized buzzing sound. It stops when you open the door, but it's very annoying. All I keep reading about this problem suggests it's a design/engineering flaw that Samsung is not addressing, and it's not isolated to this model because more than likely they are using the same ice cube maker/dispenser in multiple models. The only real remedy is to replace every refrigerator that has this dispenser built in, because even the "upgraded" dispenser still freezes over, gets jammed, leaks, and makes grinding noises. Not what you'd expect in a top of the line $2500 appliance. Breaking down at 1 year old is insane, domestic-made refrigerators used to last 15-20 years with minimal maintenance. 

There should be a class-action lawsuit against Samsung to rectify this problem and make consumers whole. This was what the consumer protection agency was supposed to do, but it seems that trump has pulled all the teeth out and it's protecting manufacturers not consumers.

IMG_3283.JPGIMG_3284.JPGIMG_3285.JPG

Mike/Mass

4 REPLIES 4
user44br7D4vOo
Asteroid

Re: Samsung Model RF22KREDDBSR/AA Ice Maker Problems!

Hi,

That's the exact same problem I was having until I found my fix!  The issue for me is not the ice melting but it has to do with the water filling the ice tray.  Too much water pressure causes the water to splash out of the ice tray.  Imagine a water fall that freezes during the winter.  The build up of ice is from the over pressured water creating an ice wall and clogging the ice maker.

Do you get water spilling from the ice dispenser when you get ice?  I did and I assumed it was from the ice melting. 

Defrost the ice maker and remove all moisture.  I sealed the ice maker with silicone (Video on Youtube).   I don't think this is necessary but I did this anyway.

Turn off the water valve for the fridge.  You can check this by getting water out of the water dispenser.  Now, slowly open back the water valve but ever so slightly.  You can check the pressure by seeing how much water flows into your cup.  The slower the better.  Was the water valve open all the way and caused water to splash out of the cup when you had ice?  That was my problem too.

I think Samsung could have fix this by having a water flow adjuster but instead you will have to do this behind the fridge and at the water valve.

Please give this a try and let us know if this works for you.   I've done this fix last month and I haven't had to defrost or scrape any ice every other week!

Jason

PS:  I think Samsung will thank me!

userceiafvrcTt
Asteroid

Happens to me too

Happens to me too

EricPBliss
Constellation

Same 4 me, bur no warranty left...Samsung put a shotty pr...

Same 4 me, bur no warranty left...Samsung put a shotty product out knowing repairscwould get them more money...never again.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Same 4 me, bur no warranty left...Samsung put a shotty pr...

We are sorry to hear about this. Please send the model and serial numbers to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.