cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userDPo3NEgSJo
Cosmic Ray

Samsung RFG298 French Door....stops (then starts) cooling....3 times now

I have a Samsung RFG298 French door refrigerator.  Purchased 2010.  Fridge on top, freezer down below.

3 weeks ago the entire unit stopped cooling/freezing.   I wasn't home.  Got the call from my mother-in law.  Temps rose, ice melted, food and frozen goods perished.  Eventually display panel temps started blinking showing acutal temps in each compartment.

24 hours later, unit started cooling/freezing again. 

Ok.  What happened?  Not sure.  But it's working. Fine. 

5 days later it happened again.   This time I was home.  Once again, destroyed items.  Was able to save some stuff.   Temps rose until panel started blinking again.  I tried to figure problem(s) online.  Not much help.  I can't get to back of fridge to unplug so I turned off power via circuit breaker.  Turned back on.  Nothing really happened except I was able to "reset" panel. 

Next day it started cooling/freezing again.  Still no idea why.  Maybe we lost power due to summer/thunder storms?  Not sure.  But it's working fine again.

5 days later (2 nights ago) it just happened for a third time.  Stopped cooling/freezing.  Power still on.  Temps up to 66 degrees.  What a mess.

Called Samsung number on manual. No advice.  Not much assistance.  Said they'd contact a local service company (Dish and Home Service...apparently a satellite dish repair company? Fantastic!).  Company has not even called me back yet. 

MEanwhile, fridge started cooling/freezing again last night.   I won't dare move items back into the fridge this time though.

Meanwhile my Saumsung washer(2 years old) has a dirt/mold issue with dirt flakes at the bottom of the washer and all over my clother after every cycle. (separate thread on forum).

Should I stick to phones and TV and avoid Samsung appliances going forward?

Samsung. Step  up and help me.  Please!

12 REPLIES 12
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung RFG298 French Door....stops (then starts) cooling....3 times now

You mentioned that you're unable to unplug it. When is the last time you cleaned underneath and behind the unit? It sounds like it is heating up and shutting off and then causing the cooling issue.

userDPo3NEgSJo
Cosmic Ray

Trying/tried.

One of the two legs is impossible to turn to retract away from ground so I can use roller wheels to move away from wall.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Here are some other steps you can try while trying to get behind the unit: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001027/

Highlighted
userDPo3NEgSJo
Cosmic Ray

Was finally able to pull unit out and away from wall and cabinets tonight.  Not as much dust as I was hoping....cuz I am hoping that was the issue.  But I vaccumed beneath and behind and vacuumed vent in back. I also unplugged fridge and removed entire lower plate.  Vacuumed the best I could inside.  Not terribly dusty.

Before I did this, my unit stopped cooling for the 4th time.  This time it was a shotrer period between stoppages.  As of this moment, still not cooling.  Hoping for a reset and restart soon to see if dust removal works.

userDPo3NEgSJo
Cosmic Ray

So after 4th stop and start (started again yesterday afternoon), the temps re rising as I type.  Ice is melting.  A matter of time before display starts blinking again.

So, I guess it wasn't The Dust.  

Now what do I do??

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Were you able to try any of the steps provided in the link @SamsungRei sent?

userDPo3NEgSJo
Cosmic Ray

Not many troubleshooting options there, but yes.  Power cool.  Doesn't matter. Checked doors.  Not the problem.  Unplugged and plugged back in.  Will eventually start cooling only to stop again.

Fridge is on the 5th cycle of not cooling/freezing.  Display currently blinking showing high temps.  I suspect it will kick back on in the next 24-36 hours....only to go off again.

What is the issue?  Compressor?  Fan?  Can the fridge be saved or should I punt and go LG?

IKS
Constellation

The same things has happened to us (still happening). Please share your solution if you find one! I have french door RFG238 model that is doing the same thing! HORRIBLE experience with Samsung support. Dish repair person showed up ($100 dollars for a visit), said it was a sealed system and that they do not fix them and left.  Samsung then sent the ticket to a different repair company who called back and said they do not deal with such problems either.  I called a few local repair shops and they said it cannot possibly be the sealed system. We vacuumed behind the fridge as was advised, but the unit still works for 3 days and stopps on the 4th.  VERY disappointed in Samsung support and their products in general - and it seems to be a known problem that affects many of their units!  Probably should not buy any Samsung products again... I understand that things do break - but the lack of support (and the scam of charginng you $100 dollars to show up  for nothing is outrageous!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@userZ64JtbzFfM I sincerely apologize for your negative experiences. If you would please send a private message with any ticket numbers you may have, I would be happy to look into this further for you. http://bit.ly/2XERsky