cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userlKqt0aIxue
Constellation

Samsung RS25J500DSR Freezer working, Fridge not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Our one year old side by side refridgerator is not working.

On this model, it seems like the cooling coils are on the freezer side and not the fridge side. Is that true?

I was able to empty the freezer and thaw all the ic that had accumulated around the cooling coils and the vents and around the fan.

Now the fans don't make any noise and the freezer works, but the frdige is not getting cold air at all.

I can see air vents at the top of the fridge above the lights and one vent at the bottom behind the bottom drawer.

Do I need to thaw the fridge side too? Can the fridge side air vents get clogged with ice even though the fridge is not below freezing?

Is there another place that I can check that might be blocked with ice?

I see lots of videos about fixing other Samsung models, but they all show removing the back panel of the fridge. This model does not have a removeable panel. The freezer side has the panel and the  cooling coils, which are working for the freezer.

Please help! All my food is spoiling...

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userlKqt0aIxue
Constellation

Re: Samsung RS25J500DSR Freezer working, Fridge not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update: It seems our refrigerator is actually working.

I assumed that both the freezer and the fridge would cool simultaneously.

They do, sort of.

After melting all the ice on the freezer side, on the coils and fan, the freezer and frdige were room temp or higher.

Then I plugged the fridge back in and the freezer side started cooling. But there was no cool air in the fridge side at all. Even after 3 hours, the fridge still felt like room temp or higher even though the freezer was clearly cooling (but not completely cold yet.)

I then thought maybe something on the fridge side was also blocked with ice preventing the cool air from cooling the fridge. So I ran hot air through the fridge vents too.

Then I just let it sit, plugged in. After another 5 hours or so, teh freezerr was getting down to the right temp and the fridge started feeling slightly cooler.

I then went ot bed and this morning, the fridge was definitely cooling. It still wasn't as cold as it should be, but I was confident it was working.

Now, 5 more hours later, the fridge is down to the right temp.

I am guessing that until the freezer gets really cold, not much cool air goes into the fridge side. Only when teh freezer air temp is really cold will enough cool air gets to the fridge side to cool it.

I am just guessing. 

I assumed that cool air would be sent to both sides when cooling down from room temp. But I guess not.

Anyway, we'll see if it lasts. At least the fan against the ice build up noise is gone and the refridgerator is super quiet again.

Of course our warranty expired 5 months ago so hopefully it will still work for now.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
userlKqt0aIxue
Constellation

Re: Samsung RS25J500DSR Freezer working, Fridge not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update: It seems our refrigerator is actually working.

I assumed that both the freezer and the fridge would cool simultaneously.

They do, sort of.

After melting all the ice on the freezer side, on the coils and fan, the freezer and frdige were room temp or higher.

Then I plugged the fridge back in and the freezer side started cooling. But there was no cool air in the fridge side at all. Even after 3 hours, the fridge still felt like room temp or higher even though the freezer was clearly cooling (but not completely cold yet.)

I then thought maybe something on the fridge side was also blocked with ice preventing the cool air from cooling the fridge. So I ran hot air through the fridge vents too.

Then I just let it sit, plugged in. After another 5 hours or so, teh freezerr was getting down to the right temp and the fridge started feeling slightly cooler.

I then went ot bed and this morning, the fridge was definitely cooling. It still wasn't as cold as it should be, but I was confident it was working.

Now, 5 more hours later, the fridge is down to the right temp.

I am guessing that until the freezer gets really cold, not much cool air goes into the fridge side. Only when teh freezer air temp is really cold will enough cool air gets to the fridge side to cool it.

I am just guessing. 

I assumed that cool air would be sent to both sides when cooling down from room temp. But I guess not.

Anyway, we'll see if it lasts. At least the fan against the ice build up noise is gone and the refridgerator is super quiet again.

Of course our warranty expired 5 months ago so hopefully it will still work for now.

View solution in original post