cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jnjgouge
Asteroid

Samsung look at your 'Slide-in Ranges designed to provide a built-in, high-end look' NE58F9710WS

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Customer support and technical support you’re frustrating and time consuming. NE58F9710WS Flex duo slide-in oven Our experience with customer support has been time consuming and frustrating. Our problem originated with a service call to repair the oven after it broke while in the self-cleaning mode. Half way thru the cleaning cycle, the front panel goes blank, checked the breakers, it’s dead. The service person comes out and replaces the thermostat. So as he’s departing, he tells us that the ‘Samsung Tech Line’ recommends that we maintain a ½ inch to 1 inch gap in the back in order to prevent this from happening again. A ½ to 1 inch GAP you say? We didn’t buy this oven so that we could provide a gap to allow stuff to fall into an abyss. 5 days later we got a survey call from Samsung and my wife took the opportunity to tell them we weren’t please about discovering our new oven is going to require 1 inch abyss gap. The surveyor put us in touch with customer support. I spent an hour trying to explain to the customer support that the oven is installed correctly and that their installation manual is inconsistent with the ‘Tech Line’ support recommendation. Having come to an impasse, the customer support agent (Henry) said he would contact ‘Executive Customer Support’ and that we should expect to hear back from them in 24 hours. Our transaction# 5117220845. 2 days pass and no call from the ‘Executive Customer Relations’. So I contacted support again, this time speaking with Anna. I spent another hour with this agent asking why no call back and going into the whole story again about how the unit is designed to be flush to backsplash. This time supporting my position by providing photos from their own Samsung media literature on their website. I asked Anna a Yes or No question. Having seen the pictures, do you think that the oven’s glass top is flush with the countertop backsplash? The response – ‘It appears to me that the optional extender kit has been installed to allow for a 1 inch gap’. This call ended also ended in an impasse. Pictures aren’t worth a thousand words and they can’t read their own manuals. Samsung product development and product support need to get on the same page. I want to know who’s right. If this is an aftermarket recommendation that’s supported by Samsung, We want to return the product and get a full refund. So weigh in with your own cognitive thoughts. Take the short quiz. Question 1. In the pictures attached, is the slid-in-oven flush with the back splash? Yes? No? Question 2 In the picture ‘Install Clearances and dimensions’, Is the purpose of the ‘Optional rear filler kit’ used to fill the gap between the range back and the wall? Yes? No? If you answered NO to one or both questions, then you’re a Samsung Customer Support Agent. If you answered YES to both, then you’re a frustrated Samsung customer. URL to media pictures http://www.samsung.com/us/2013-ranges/ URL to install manual, refer to page 21 http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/freestanding-electric-ranges-ne58f9710-series#downl...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung look at your 'Slide-in Ranges designed to provide a built-in, high-end look' NE58F9710WS

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I be different and say both yes and no? Pretty much the tech was both right and wrong and advertisement pics can be misleading. Because Samsung technicians are contracted through a third party their information can tend to be a little misconstrued, your best bet it to get your answers directly from samsung.com. (When possible of course) That being said, I have a few pictures to demonstrate where the 1/2 inch gap needs to be and where it doesn't. The only place on the entire range that needs to have a bit of a gap is the very back of it and the gap is there for fan ventilation. There does not have to be a gap on the sides where the range would meet a counter/cabinet. The first picture is the gap, this range is installed exactly 1/2 an inch from the back wall.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung look at your 'Slide-in Ranges designed to provide a built-in, high-end look' NE58F9710WS

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I be different and say both yes and no? Pretty much the tech was both right and wrong and advertisement pics can be misleading. Because Samsung technicians are contracted through a third party their information can tend to be a little misconstrued, your best bet it to get your answers directly from samsung.com. (When possible of course) That being said, I have a few pictures to demonstrate where the 1/2 inch gap needs to be and where it doesn't. The only place on the entire range that needs to have a bit of a gap is the very back of it and the gap is there for fan ventilation. There does not have to be a gap on the sides where the range would meet a counter/cabinet. The first picture is the gap, this range is installed exactly 1/2 an inch from the back wall.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The next picture is the side where it meets the counter, no gap but the glass top does overhang a smidge. I am attaching a final pic just to show it's a Samsung unit installed. Hope this helps!

jnjgouge
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Yes, you can be different. I appreciate your response, however your response isn't supported by anything but 2 pictures and your word. Your response has cleverly discounted the pictures I posted as 'advertising pics can be misleading' and you completely discounted making any comment on the user manual illustrations for the 'slide-in cutout’. Also, no mention from you regarding the purpose and intent of the 'optional rear filler kit' to eliminate the gap behind the wall and oven. Instead you support your solution based on a 'free standing cutout'. Now to address your second point, "Because Samsung technicians are contracted through a third party their information can tend to be a little misconstrued, your best bet it to get your answers directly from samsung.com". This was my next action after the unit was repaired and I was told that I'd need a 1/2 inch gap. I put myself in touch with Samsung.com. reference ticket number in the original post. They're only able to respond with a similar response as yours and they also cleverly abstained from commenting on the accuracy of the marketing material and the user manual instructions. Instead, they’re response is, if I don't provide for a 1/2 inch gap, it won't be covered under warranty. But the intent of this post is not to be provided with a solution, but a factual response from Samsung supporting your proposed solution. Assuming that Samsung acknowledges this solution, it'd be reasonable to expect further action from Samsung, such as an official notification from Samsung to its supplier chains and consumers, etc. In addition they'd probably take further responsible actions by retracting media print, web and video illustrations, user manual instructions supporting 'no gap' and a recall for the 'optional rear filler kit' designed to prevent the gap. Also retraining of all Samsung certified installers. Here's a professionally made video on the Samsung web site. Watch the video next to the section labeled ‘Slide-In-Design’. You’ll probably discount this too. http://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/ranges/slide-in/ne58f9710ws-slide-in-electric-range-with-f...
userCiu7D5PnfA
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just received my new slide-in Samsung range and was told by the installer that the countertop must be cut to allow for this gap.  I looked at the pictures from the installation guide and did not think that was consistent with what we were told.  In addition, the filler bar included with the oven would seem to refute that.  If the filler bar had vents then I could understand its use but it is solid.  So I called Samsung and was told to ask the installer.  I received a call from Samsung asking if I was pleased with the response from my call to customer service.  I said absolutely not!  Why would I want to call the  installer for an answer about an appliance instead of the manufacturer?  Is the range  just supposed to be a certain distance from the wall or does it need to be vented at the top?  Seems like a simple question but who will answer it?  I can't seem to get Samsung to.

jnjgouge
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm surprised they didn't tell you that you had to have a 1/2 inch gap in back.  Although their information contradicts the installation manual and the sales brochures illustrations.   Defeats the purpose of that 'Built in Look" doesn't it?   But Samsung won't recognize that what they designed and manufactured has flaws.  So instead, they cover it up with the claim that the oven requires a 1/2 gap at the back for ventalation. 

When installed with the oven flush to the backsplash, when the oven is put into the self-clean mode, the high temperature limit switch blows on the first self-clean or the 2nd.  I've had two replaced already.   This oven is lemon and doesn't live up to their advertising claims.  

usertCheGcnARb
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yep, should have a little-vented section at the back or some vent section somewhere else.  The instructions should also be clearer