cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user8hwNx9QDhi
Astronaut

Re: Smart Home App unable to get past AP entry screen

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had to seperate the 5 and 2.4 on my internet, restart the vacuum, do the thing about with theairplane mode and boom, it hooked right up.

Highlighted
userghXlix9G5V
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@WarEagle2013 Thank you!

@WarEagle2013 wrote:

I finally got mine working.  When the phone is connecting to the AP of the oven, make sure the phone's WiFi doesn't say authentication error.  If it does enter a new password: 1111122222

The next thing your going to want to do is turn off your cellular network>  Put the phone in airplane mode and re-enable the WiFi.

Make sure your phone is connected to your 2.4 GHz band not 5GHz.  Just forget your 5GHz from your phone for the purpose of this install.  You can connect to it again later.

After I did all this, Smart home picked up my home AP and I was able to connect.  Good luck!

WarEagle2013
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My oven received a firmware update from Samsung recently. I can now use the SmartThings app to control it from my Galaxy S10+.  

userfiwPvfPCHZ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Help...I have an electric range...I phone 8. ISO 12.3...it times out before connecting!! Any ideas?!?!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would recommend calling our dedicated smart home team at 866-813-2404.

usergKrssPDtrM
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Customer support was no help, as they were not equipped with any in-depth knowledge of software.  

That said, I was able to solve this issue on my own.  After the fix, my pressumption, that the the problem is deeply rooted in the software itself just as many on Google Play store reviews state, will hold.  Samsung developer seems to be unaware of any changes between the different versions of Android.

Now.....

To solve this issue, you have to have an older Android system that lets the app run stable.  I did confirm that this app is stable on 4.2.2.  I didn't try anything higher so maybe someone else can.  

First, install the app on an old Android system.  Start the app up, login using the same credential you use for your new Android phone app.   Proceed to add devices/appliances just as manual dictates by letting it find Wifi, and work with the appliances.   The appliances should be added smoothly.

Now open the app on your new Android system and login if asked, using the same credential.  The devices/appliances you have just added should show as Disconnected.  DO NOT tap any of them.  Selecting them will make you go through a  setup that will fail 100%. 

Instead, tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the same screen.  That should open a menu box.  Then choose Settings, which should be 2nd from the top.  

In settings, find "Edit home" section then choose "Add device".   Sorry my memory on the next step is a bit unclear but you are almost there and very little can go wrong from here.

Tapping on "Add device" should either show you the list of devices that are currently disconnected, or the system should automatically detect what can be "linked".   Tapping on the appliance to link should make you go through a similar setup process but slightly differet.   

after choosing the appliance to add (in my case the range), the system will ask you to turn the remote feature on.  Again in my case it's a range, and the feature can be turned on by tapping on "Smart Control" on the range's control panel, and other appliances might be different.  Doing so will show an icon that resembles a smartphone on the control panel.  Now the app on your phone should tell you to wait until it finishes connecting or something.  Just let it do its thing and you should have a working appliance on your new Android phone.

I hope this will help other people who have trusted the advertised quality of Samsung, paid PREMIUM for the advertised features, and found themselves dissapointed to discover that what set Samsung products apart from others to justify the premium price was hardly functioning at best.

userWz1VyZkm9F
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the solution.

I just tried on my rooted Amazon Fire tablet 7" and it is a no go since Smart Home app refuses to run on rooted devices due to "security concerns"...

off to find another old device now...

updated: same bug applies to Android 6.0.1 as well stock Nexus 5, but works on my Nexus 7 tablet running stock Android 6.0.1

samsung is so behind the times when trying to be so cutting edge...

userQeCM3Jb5FV
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am running a Nexus with Android N 7.1.1 and while it discovers my fridge cannot connect the AP.  Nothing seems to be working. Not to mention the app has crashed a few times.

usergKrssPDtrM
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Try the workaround mentioned above with an old Android device.  

user6dRJsHX9wO
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Having same issue.  Running Nexus 5X with 7 . 1  Can't get past AP screen.  Have an old Nexus 7 with android 5.x on and it works.  This is not acceptable.  If I would have know this, I would have saved a few dollars and gotten the appliance without connectivity.