cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristinaM
Constellation

Re: Smelly Dishwasher

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I was having the same issue - dishes and glassware coming out with a stale, sour water smell if we did not immediately empty the dishwasher after washing. This started about 3 mos. after purchase and installation. Tried citric acid (active ingredient in Affresh), which only temporarily helped, running the disposal with hot soapy water pbefore a cycle, vinegar in the sanitize cycle, cleaning the basket, etc. Minimal to no improvement. I was going mad!

Finally - I solved it. I read a comment here discussing the high loop and this being an installation requirement. I confirmed we had one (we did), got out the manual, read about how the hoses must be positioned and realize the hose running from dishwasher over the cabinet and down to the disposal was too long and sagging! Thus dirty disposal/dishwasher water was sitting/backing up and turning rancid.

The manual says the hose connecting to disposal must be affixed high up on the underside of the sink. Lowes had left ours hanging low. The solution was to wrap a zip tie with screw hole around the hose and screw it into the upper part of the sink cabinet.

Problem solved! No more frustrating stink! Our dishwasher is now good as new. Simple fix!

View solution in original post

userVIgZwaq2BG
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

sorry, I've been hunting and pecking for a while now- while the "hanging loop" theory makes sense, I too have a new dischwasher that smells terribly, but we do NOT have a dispoosal in the sink.

Anybody out there have the same problem? Smelly dishwasher but no dgarbage disposal back-drain to blame? BTW, it semlls after a few hours with the clean dishes still in it, depiste the fact ot opens when its done. its hooked up useing the same connections my old Sears dishwasher used. and another thing- why does it take 2-3 hours to clean? nad why is it always dripping wet in there? The old one was dry after the cycle.

userEt0CqQtWzt
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Responding to this post because the drain hose was installed properly (ran high through cabinet wall and then back down to kitchen drain) but still had smelly dishwasher.

Moved into a home with existing Samsung dishwasher (DMT400).  Noticed bad smells after dry cycle.  Took apart the filter unit at bottom of tub and found grayish beige chunky slime over many of the parts (this involved removing the lower spray arm, the filter cover, and a spinning disk).  Cleaned it all and reassembled.  The smell was better but still noticeable from the door.  Took off a metal cover to the vent near the top inside of the door and found more of the same 'growth or residue' on the inside of the metal cover and plastic grate (it twists to release--the two screws just below are for removing the vent housing inside the door and don't need to be removed).  I pushed down the black diaphragm to thoroughly clean the entire area.

Hopefully this resolves the smell once and for all.  Hard to know if previous owners had maintained and used the dishwasher appropriately to prevent this build up in the first place.  However, had also seen posts about a black grime along the inner rubber seal and I have also seen this and cleaned it and seen it reappear within a couple months.  Although disgusting, not sure it was the source of our smell.

usersZctYxx0Cu
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Any photos?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Maybe the lawyer that that has taken on the ice maker class action would be interested in this one too? 

Only satisfaction comes from chasing away potential Samsung customers in Lowe’s/Home Depot (5 last Thursday-one was looking at a 4000 refrigerator). 

I am there almost daily due to my job.

userNlPUuzqtsj
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

could you post a picture of how this was done please

userxyLhrvTDxU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay I did this and it still didn’t fix my issue. The dishwasher reeks and the stench is now going throughout my home! Very disappointed in Samsung at this point. Really needing an immediate solution. My dishwasher isn’t even a year old and the dishes aren’t cleaning well and everything smells 

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

DW80K7550UG

Should NOT have to clean my dishwasher weekly. The dishes are wiped out before hand but screens need to be removed and cleaned often. They are caked with mold/mildew. 

Also gross mildew at the area were the door and bottom meet. 

It is used daily - dishes or water does NOT sit. 

Wanted to love it for the extreme quiet but miss my crappy loud old Frigidaire. 

useroIWH1nmyGN
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi I too have a very fowl smelling dishwasher after just 1-2 days of a few pre-rinsed dishes are placed inside. 

I had the repair man out to look at it and he suggested these special cleaning tabs which I tried yet it still smells awful. 

I also find residue water in the bottom cup and the man from the company said that’s normal. 

I honestly don’t think I’ll ever buy another Samsung dishwasher again. I always had kitchen aids and they were fabulous all around. 

If anyone can suggest anything I’d certainly appreciate it. 

Thank you 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Model DW80J7550UG

Have to clean filter once a week and deep clean unit monthly and still find new places just black with mildew/mold. 

This unit is used daily so it isn’t because of sitting. 

I was blinded by looking for quite that I picked an awful creation. 

My household has 4 toilets, 2 teens, 2 dogs and this machine. is the nastiest thing in it.