cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userTOBj61nRsv
Astronaut

Re: Smelly Dishwasher

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Add me in!  Disgusting since it was put in in July 2016 I’ve tried taking the bottom out for clogs, nothing. It’s happened since the beginning. Our plates and utensils tastes like this nastiness. I’m going to try the Tang thing but bleach -straight bleach poured into the bottom only masked it for a couple of days !! This is ridiculous ! Samsung has to recall this, it is unhealthy!!

userPu38aKaeEU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Nonsense. Samsung should be able to reply to this without a model number. Everyone I know who has a Samsung dishwasher has this problem. The smell is obviously a problem that has been brought up with Samsung many times, so they must know the solution if there is one. My GE washer that I had prior to this worked for 15 years without any smells. I replaced it because the prongs were starting to bend and break. I shouldn't have replaced it.

userr8Mporb4oD
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was happy to hear that we are not the only ones with this problem.  Bought a new Samsung kitchen suite in December 2018 and regret it.  The dishwasher stench is so bad nobody wants to open the door to load the dishes.  Trying to teach my 13 year old responsibility to loading dishes but don't blame him when he says he is not going near "that thing".  It has smelled rotten since it was installed.  There was to be something wrong with the design.  It seems it does not matter what model, that they all have a problem.  Our model number is DW80k505oug.

KOP
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All dishwashers have the same issues, Easiest solution is TANG, the orange drink. Throw a cup of TANG in an empty dishwasher, and run a normal cycle. (without dishes in it of course). The citric acid will help get rid of bacteria causing the odors, and you will have a nice orange scent afterwards. If you still have some smell, repeat another cycle with another cup of it. The manufacturers have citric acid you can purchase at your local appliance parts store. But I am giving you an easy solution.

Cheers,

KOP

smellydishwashe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Did not work for me
userLMAiO0cGKj
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've never in 30 years had this issue. Even my first $80 dw didn't smell. This is poor design.

dyates1
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had this same issue ever since we purchased our dishwasher several years ago.  It is so embarrassing when we have dinner guests and you open the dishwasher and the smell permeates the area.   We have used Tang a number of times and it appears the washer is connected properly.    Is this a flaw on Samsung's part?    I've never had a dishwasher have this issue. 

Thanks

Doris

userZFZ48aqlB7
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased my Samsung dishwasher this summer, and it had this awful order, smells like rotten potatoes.  I clean the front and lots of black mold on it.

Thortok
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The long and short of it when it comes to dishwasher odor is that the dishwasher itself doesn't actually generate any odor at all. (That said, if some other function of the dishwasher doesn't work, like it doesn't drain correctly, for instance, that's a separate, identifiable and potentially fixable issue, where the dishwasher is 'causing' the odor as a side effect. But if the dishwasher is running perfectly fine, it just smells, that's almost always a maintenance issue.)

The odor comes from mold, mildew, or left over food particles that didn't get cleaned away. The dishwasher, if not maintained well, is a great place for mold and mildew to grow, they love it. So you do have to be a little diligent to keep the smells out.

The full article can be found here: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=675736&modelname=DW8...

(Looks like it's currently giving a 404 error, site should update eventually, sorry.)

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

To add to Thortok2000's great explanation, this link is very helpful but can depend on your model: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060262/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.