cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smellydishwashe
Cosmic Ray

Smelly Dishwasher

JUMP TO SOLUTION

does anyone else have a problem with their dishwasher smelling really bad after a day or two of dishes in there?  I pre-rinse everything before I put in the dishwasher.  I had a plumber make sure it is hooked up correctly.  it doesnt seem to drain all the way but the smell is disgusting.  Very disappointed and will probably never buy a Samsung product again because of it.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaM
Constellation

Re: Smelly Dishwasher

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I was having the same issue - dishes and glassware coming out with a stale, sour water smell if we did not immediately empty the dishwasher after washing. This started about 3 mos. after purchase and installation. Tried citric acid (active ingredient in Affresh), which only temporarily helped, running the disposal with hot soapy water pbefore a cycle, vinegar in the sanitize cycle, cleaning the basket, etc. Minimal to no improvement. I was going mad!

Finally - I solved it. I read a comment here discussing the high loop and this being an installation requirement. I confirmed we had one (we did), got out the manual, read about how the hoses must be positioned and realize the hose running from dishwasher over the cabinet and down to the disposal was too long and sagging! Thus dirty disposal/dishwasher water was sitting/backing up and turning rancid.

The manual says the hose connecting to disposal must be affixed high up on the underside of the sink. Lowes had left ours hanging low. The solution was to wrap a zip tie with screw hole around the hose and screw it into the upper part of the sink cabinet.

Problem solved! No more frustrating stink! Our dishwasher is now good as new. Simple fix!
282 REPLIES 282
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi smellydishwashe,

We're very sorry to hear this!  Can you please provide the model code of the dishwasher? Thank you, ^Rosi

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Cruzen7
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue, as are 4 other people that I know that have a Samsung dishwasher. Where can I find the model code of the dishwasher?

smellydishwashe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I still have not been told where the filter is in the dishwasher. The model number can be found   On the inside left bottom corner when you open the door    I have tried taking vinegar dishwasher cleaner and even changed my disposal and it still stinks 

smellydishwashe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I used tang as suggested 

user6PhNM8nUmT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did it help?

user4NcSlm3I2u
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Check the filter in the front of your dishwasher to ensure that it is tight. Not only will it eliminate the odor but make the dishwasher run more efficiently. 

Hope me this helps! 

user2R1QdCE6Hr
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having this same issue with my brand new dishwasher, I cannot believe the smell that comes out of it. This never happened with my old crappy dishwasher Model # DW80K5050UB 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Any standing water?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user3fUBEGQsJS
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine has the same problem.  Never buying Samsung again!  Called customer service and went in circles with the lady telling me to clean it.  I've cleaned it with everything known to man, spent $700 on plumbers checking everything out and even took the whole dishwasher out and re installing it after cleaning the whole thing again.  So disappointed!