Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Smelly Dishwasher

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Will you please provide your serial number via private message? http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SOLVED!!  OK  I think I have figured out the issue of this disater of a dishwasher (not the solution).  I took apart the front door because I noticed that if I wiped paper towels at the base of the door, there was always a very very fowl smelling odour and black sludge coming from the swipe.

So I took it apart today and noticed that the fan at the top of the door has a drain that drains organic matter to a black rubber grommet with the intention to drain to the main chamber.  it doesn't do that!!  it blocks up and turns to sludge that smells like rotting sewage.  I scooped out about a cup of the most fowl smelling sludge I have ever experienced.

I am now wondering what kind of damage that this mold/sludge did to my family using the dishes from this garbage dishwasher.  The black rubber grommett acts as a breeding ground for the sludge to fester and stink up your whole kitchen to then leech back into the "rinse" water to infect the "clean" dishes.  there really needs to be a recall on the whole design of this dumpsterfire as I have already had 4 repair calls on this 3 year old box of funk!

At Samsung - do your job and design things proper, and then listen to your customers when something is gone wrong.  I spent over 10 thousand on all new appliances to get the grabage that Samsung spews out only to hav e the worst in class dishwasher and the worst ice maker design in history!! Talk about how to find a solution for this and how to stop putting my family indanger with your incredibly poor design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I guess I have been luckier than most in that it took 1 year before the sewer smell.  I have the high loop so that isn't the problem.  I tried the sanitize/ clean, sanitize vinegar and that lasted for a day.   Looks like Matt has caught onto something. I will try to see if it's the breeding ground for bacteria he described is present.  Kudos for the engineers at Samsung for designing cleaning machine that can create a colony of bacteria which could be used as a biological weapon of mass destruction at the same time depositing this bacteria on our eating utensils.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We purchased a StormWash™ 48 dBA Dishwasher in Stainless Steel MODEL NUMBER: DW80R5060US/AA on Black Friday 11/29/2019 from Lowe's. It was installed 12/19/2019 by a professional and stated to smell after the first use. I have sprayed the inside with a  bleach cleaner spray, ran it empty with a dishwasher cleaner tab, ran it on sanatize cycle empty, wiped the inside down, the loop under the sink is good and high. Shouldn't have sludge build up under the door to stink after one use. It pops open when it's clean and even stinks when clean dishes are in it. It can be opened when empty and still smells horrible. It doesn't matter what gets done,  It stinks!  And it doesn't clean the dishes that well either!!!
I purchased ALL NEW Samsung appliances and so far the dishwasher stinks and isn't great at cleaning, the microwave doesn't heat food evenly and it takes way to long to heat small amount of food (double the time of my old microwave), and the refrigerator has been on back order since November so I don't even have it yet. I am scared to accept it at this point with the quality of parts and workmanship I have experienced from Samsung so far. I had my old GE dishwasher and microwave for over 15 years and never had an issue with smell or them not working correctly. I just wanted to update the kitchen (and these new ones do look nice) and go for the low noise rating on the dishwasher. Now I want to return everything I have purchased made by Samsung and start over with another brand. Samsung needs to recall these dishwashers and make this issue right with customers. I've had a service call and a Technician out on the brand new microwave already and he had to replace a major part and it was only a month old.  Kicker is,  it still doesn't work right either!!
If anyone can figure out a resolution to this stinking dishwasher issue please post. This has been going on for several years now based on what I can tell from researching how to resolve this issue online. And nothing is being done by the company to correct it. Maybe an attorney will be interested. If it is bacteria build up that is the issue that is a major health concern. 
Very dissatisfied and concerned consumer. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Has the dishwasher shown any error codes or blinking lights?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
In the Fall of 2019, I purchased a Samsung dishwasher Model dw80j3020uw

After every wash, the dishwasher immediately smells foul after use and the smell gets worse over time.

We always pre-rinse the dishes to minimizes food particles and use only Cascade dishwasher detergent. I have checked the drain hose and it is secured high and with no sag. We have tried empty sanitize cycles with vinegar and commercial dishwasher cleaners. But the smell persists. 

The smell is caused by water and debris getting trapped under the door. The debris then turns into a sludge that rots and smells. You have to wipe it out by hand after every load. It's gross and unsanitary.

This is caused by a design flaw. The front tub gasket was designed to seal only the top and sides of the tub. The bottom is sealed 3-4 cm further under the door. This allows a large amount of water and food debris (about 250 sq cm) to collect under the door and out of sight.

To try and solve this, I've raised the front of the dishwasher higher than level to assist drainage from under the door, but sludge still collects there. I'm afraid to raise it too much, or it might interfere with the drain pump.

My next idea is to find an adhesive gasket at the hardware store that will fit under the door but still allow it to close. My hope is to seal water and debris away from the door, preventing sludge and buildup. 

BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS !!!

The front tub gasket needs to wrap around the whole tub, sealing water away from the door area. This is a HUGE design flaw that should NEVER have made it into production !!!

I cannot recommend Samsung dishwashers to anyone. 
Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung DW7933LRASR purchased in 2014 and installed professionally.  I'm a clean freak and my washer looks spick and span inside, however it has smelled for years.  I have performed all the tasks recommended in this thread including cleaning, clear debris, checking hoses, etc.  This last weekend after taking everything out of the dishwasher again, removing screen, blade, reservoirs, I found the issue to be the same exact issue that djoelb88 found.

I had not seen this thread until just now this morning.

The gasket installed on the bottom of the door is poorly designed.  In fact, you will find it has several precut holes in the gasket that allows water and debris to become trapped inside the gasket.  I was shocked at how much dark green/black "gunk" came out!  It was unbelievably disgusting.  If you open the door all the way and run you gloved fingers pressing on the gasket from left to right you will gunk squeezing out through the precut holes I was mentioning.  Judging by the length of time this thread has been running and the lack of response from Samsung (I am a big fan of Samsung products BTW) I will dispose of this unit and purchase a Bosch.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I appreciate everyone that has taken the time to post about this problem.

I moved into a house 5 months ago with a dw80f600uts model Samsung dishwasher that has an extremely foul smell.

Having never had a smelly dishwasher in the past, I was surprised to find this was even a thing. Nevertheless, I tried every recommended solution from cleaning the nozzles to running sanitizing cycles to using vinegar and commercial cleaners. Nothing worked more than short term. 

My model doesn't have a removable filter. I've learned today that it's supposed to be next level good in that it can (theoretically) dispose of big chunks of food under its self-cleaning filter, the same filter I was about to take a screw driver to and see if it needed cleaning. After what I've read here, I don't want to see what's in there. 

I came online today to see if I should call a plumber before replacing the dishwasher - a constant question in my mind has been is it the dishwasher or the lines? After reading these posts, I don't wonder any more. I'll save the money I'd spend on the plumber and put it towards my new dishwasher. 

Samsung should get out of the appliance business and stick to what they know. Blaming consumers for not cleaning their appliances properly when there are obvious flaws in their designs is poor business practice. 

This will be the third Samsung appliance I've replaced since moving into this home - 3 down, 1 to go - and I won't purchase Samsung products in the future. I will also encourage others not to buy from them. How you treat your customers matters and continuing to sell shoddy products shows a lack of care.