Original topic:

Tizen 6.0 Family Hub Update horrible

(Topic created: 09-17-2021 07:52 AM)
user9r9lnGiZXO
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

DC687C63-D1E9-4F31-BC89-60B7BDB6D744.png

Samsung has really messed up, my $3,000 fridge is useless to me now. Samsung created a new update Tizen 6 with Alexa now added but took away the Family Hub app access meaning you have to use Smart things app which isn’t very good. I can’t mirror my Samsung tv to the fridge anymore, I changed the water filter which won’t reset the notification, it erased all the pictures from my screen making it difficult to add more, SmartThings screen on the fridge freezes all the time, Ring door bell drains your battery because it’s constantly live. Shopping list hardly updates from my phone, the list goes on and on. This is very unacceptable from Samsung to advertise a fridge at the time I purchased and a year later almost all taken away. My wife accidentally updated to 6.0 thinking she was doing me a favor but of course I’m stuck with a fridge that can’t do the things I enjoyed. Samsung not everyone reads those disclaimers like kids and non technical people that might update something because a screen pop up appears. I would not recommend anyone to buy their smart hub refrigerators unless you want to waste your money.

userfetGqzfngF
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have not found a way to add photos to the new smart things app so they can be displayed on the fridge. As far as I can see, Samsung removed this functionality. Does anyone know how to fix this? I echo everything written above. Samsung has chosen its own interests to sell over the interests of its customers to have a useful product. Sad day.. it was such a good machine before. And now it is useless.. 

0 Likes
userfetGqzfngF
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This is so terrible.. we are in the same boat. The fridge is useless. The things we use the fridge for the most -- having our app on our phones and sharing via the fridge -- most principally memos (eg when a parent is away they could post a 'good morning' on the fridge) and photos, which we so enjoyed updating. Can't add photos anymore with SmartThings.. you can only change your fridge temperature (who wants to do that from their phone?) and look inside (which is also kind of useless).. its just such amess. and so unprofessional of Samsung to have downgraded the fridge so completely. Even their disclaimer doesn't make clear they were destroying the functionality of the device. Usually you give up some functions to get something, in this case it was an exchange of something for nothing. Fix it Samsung. please! 

0 Likes
userIcdPn6PxRd
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My Samsung TV doesn't connect/mirror to my Samsung fridge.  I was told by Samsung customer support that the TV is not comparable with the fridge.  I do see my neighbor's TV on the list.  I cannot play Netflix or Prime. According to these websites, the fridge's operating system is not comparable.  I can see some videos in YouTube, but not all videos.  The App Store has only a few apps and some of them like iHeart radio suck.  The screen freezes and you have to reboot the fridge.  Don't waste your money. 

0 Likes
userWRzmmKOoMV
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

So wait, is this just a complaining forum and not a way to troubleshoot?  Because I am ALL for the complaining but I really, really need a solution.  I **bleep**ing hate this new update!!!!!

user9r9lnGiZXO
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It’s both complaining and troubleshooting. This new update removed access to the Family Hub app which gave you a better experience with your refrigerator because it was made for just that. Unlike SmartThings app gives you a workaround taking away from the family hub experience. I would recommend removing anything you had on your fridge and start fresh because I found certain things not working anymore that after the update. When I removed tv mirroring then added back seems to work again. No more user profiles for other family members and seeing you fridge family board on your phone. SmartThings is just a tool to use your refrigerator.

0 Likes
userrFLi9xTOY9
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Is Samsung going push a fix for this? Why is family hub app discontinued before migrating all features over to smart things? What was the rush? Samsung- can you respond to this?

0 Likes
userZU0hGf96ve
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Same here not only did the update delete pictures it now will not connect to the usb thumb drive. The shopping list is a pain and the one thing I would have found useful was Alexa and it does not seem to be in this release. Did anyone else actually get the Alexa upgrade? My fridge is only 8 months old.

user9r9lnGiZXO
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Alexa is garbage because it's limited to commands like telling you weather and basic information it's not like the stand alone devices. Shopping list is a pain because most of the time the app wont let you access your list when your off your Wi-Fi. Pictures are able to sync from your phone within the Smart Things app but you must make sure you reset the Family Hub software on your fridge for them to update. Haven't tried the USB to transfer yet because I find syncing works. 

0 Likes
AceEagle
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have seen other complaints in this forum about the Tizen 6.0 update basically turning this fridge back into a very expensive cooling device and although the complaints are recent, I can’t even respond or add to them as the ability to reply has been switched off for some reason.

My guess would be to limit the number of complaints regarding this update. 

Well, just in case someone from management in Samsung happens to read this, let me give you an analogy.

You decide it’s time for a new car and when you look around you find you can get a decent car that does the job and gets you from A to B for $20k but you can also get one for $60k.

The more expensive one also gets you from A to B but has Lane tracking and 360 degree cameras for alert systems and self parking and countless other features that make it seem worthwhile to outlay an extra $40k for a vehicle that in the end still does the same job as the $20k vehicle. 

So you spend $60k and you get to really enjoy all those features that the extra $40k got you until one day, the manufacturer of your very expensive car decided to do a software update on your vehicle and all those features that you’d loved and were the only reason you bought the vehicle and paid an extra $40k for no longer worked.

Lane tracking - gone

360 degree camera function - gone

Automatic vehicle detection - gone

All the features that made you decide to purchase the vehicle in the first place - gone

In fact, all you’re really left with is a vehicle that will get you from A to B the same as that vehicle you could have bought a little while back for $20k.

How do you think you’d feel if this happened to you? Cheated maybe? Ripped off? Scammed?

This fridge no longer functions the same way as it did when I bought it and that is due to just one factor - the Tizen 6.0 update.

This is no longer a smart fridge since being vandalised by Samsung with this appalling “update”.

In fact, to even use the word update is misleading because it is really a downgrade and a massive one at that.

I will be taking this further in Australia through the ACCC and seeking a full refund for removing all of the features on the fridge that were the only reason I originally bought it.

Just in case Samsung management are still reading this, when I bought this fridge, I also bought a Samsung smart washing machine and a Samsung Q9 TV for a total of around $18k at the time.

I won’t be buying Samsung again.

0 Likes
userVgr6aJypiM
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This update is horrible.  Fridge is a dumb fridge now.  I am going to work with my retailer to get it returned.

0 Likes