cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Today Samsung lost a very longtime customer

Let me start by saying I have owned Samsung products since they started making cell phones.  I love them.  Then they integrate with a TV!  Sign me up.  Every TV in my house is consequently a Samsung.  Using that logic, Samsung must make amazing appliances.  Thus, I went out and purchased every appliance Samsung has to offer.  It is here that this logic and reasoning begin to break down. 

In December 2018, SFGate wrote an article suggesting the typical dishwasher is expected to last between seven and 12 years, with the average working expectancy being nine to 10 years.  Within six months of purchasing my Samsung dishwasher, it broke down the first time.  Samsung begrudgingly fixed it under warranty (to do so, I would have presented them the receipt of purchase).  Again, at 4.5 years the water wall failed.  I called my appliance repair shop.  They confirmed the problem was indeed the water wall.  My appliance service group (who does not sell appliances) said the best thing to do is buy a new dishwasher.  Why?  It’s not even 5 years old.  The answer was that it was not worth fixing because it would break again.  Interesting right?  Let’s not even discuss the refrigerator or range issues I’ve had. 

Well, since the product is warranted for 5 years under what is called "linear motion products" and the water wall is indeed classified as a linear motion product, one would conclude it is covered by warranty.  Wrong!  Now I need to produce a receipt.  Not a credit card statement or anything else will suffice to prove that I bought the appliance.  I spent a total of 4 hours on trying to remedy this problem on the phone and in chat sessions.  It is worth noting that the total cost of the repair was shy of $400.  Samsung would only cover parts.  It strikes my odd that Samsung doesn’t stand by their products more; no room to work with their customers at all!  Eventually, I gave up on the repair and worse, Samsung as a whole.  

For me, arguing with customer service (who by the way did not know the definition of "Linear Motion Products” and several times told me it was not covered under such a clause) about the cost of repair was not the issue.  Within the first hour of time I spent on this exercise, I exceeded the value of my own time.  That said, I committed to seeing it through because I wanted to see how valuable a customer is to Samsung. 

Samsung has clearly outlined a strict process with its customer service representatives and if problems are elevated to a higher level, my guess is there is an adverse effect to the individual that elevates the.  This is pure speculation on my part, but none of the customer service representatives (and I spoke to at least three customer service representatives, one supervisor, and one Manager) wanted me to talk to their superior.  I would ask between 4 and 5 times before it was elevated.  I made it to the Manager level but then quit because I exceeded my personal 4-hour max of talking with Samsung. 

Samsung, you’ve succeeded in nickel and diming your customer.  I do hope it was worth it.  You have succeeded in your steadfast approach to dealing with customers issues.  Many other consumer product companies are way more flexible.  You have succeeded in alienating one customer who was, until today, a diehard loyal consumer of your products.  My guess is I’ve spent over $50,000 on Samsung products over the past 15 years, perhaps more. You have succeeded in helping me realize how valuable a customer is to you.  Inability to truly provide customer service will ultimately decrease your market share.  Lastly, it is with a heavy heart to say that today Samsung lost a very longtime customer.  Good luck in keeping your current customers.  Market share is hard to come by when there is competition more reliable and truly concerned about their customers.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Today Samsung lost a very longtime customer

Unfortunately, as your post proves, they don't care. A look at the majority of the posts on the appliance section of this site proves that. Samsung is betting on winning in the short term with volume and doesn't care about the quality of their products. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Today Samsung lost a very longtime customer

I'm also not seeing very many support replies in this forum. I wish I would have read these complaints before I bought my appliances. I also will never buy Samsung appliances again!